Google Maps navigation with screen off no longer works

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
When driving and using Google Maps navigation, I used to be able to turn off the screen via the power button (to prevent burn-in) but continue to receive audio real-time directions. I also used to be able to turn the screen back on just by pressing the power button, without being sent to the lock screen.

Now, however, when I turn off the screen after starting navigation, the navigate icon remains on the lock screen for about a minute, and during that time I continue to get voice navigation prompts; but then the icon disappears, the prompts stop, and if I press the power button, I have to unlock the phone before getting back to Maps--and after I do, I see that it is no longer in navigation mode. And this behavior occurs whether or not the phone is charging at the time.

I don't know if it's Maps or Android that has changed, but does anyone know of a setting that will restore the previous behavior? I don't see one offhand.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Power saving mode on? I've read that caused issue mentioned with phones like Note 10.

Have you tried uninstalling Google Maps and re-installing??

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The behavior mentioned is that of an app being put to sleep. While I find it hard to believe that Maps is being put to sleep it is worth a check. Settings>Battery and device care>Battery>Background usage limits>check both Sleeping apps and Deep sleeping apps lists and verify that Maps does not appear in either list.

Let us know what you find...

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I use the Blackr app to "turn off" the screen for those annoying media apps that need the screen on for them to continue to play audio. It may help as a a workaround for your situation.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Power saving mode on? [...]
Have you tried uninstalling Google Maps and re-installing[?]
Power saving is off. There's no option to uninstall the app.

The behavior mentioned is that of an app being put to sleep. While I find it hard to believe that Maps is being put to sleep it is worth a check. Settings>Battery and device care>Battery>Background usage limits>check both Sleeping apps and Deep sleeping apps lists and verify that Maps does not appear in either list.
Thanks, that was it. I thought I'd checked previously, but Maps was indeed on the optimize-battery-usage list. I'm not sure how or when it got there, but turning that off solved the problem.

Last edited:

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I use the Blackr app to "turn off" the screen for those annoying media apps that need the screen on for them to continue to play audio. It may help as a a workaround for your situation.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if a future need arises.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
...Thanks, that was it. I thought I'd checked previously, but Maps was indeed on the optimize-battery-usage list. I'm not sure how or when it got there, but turning that off solved the problem.

I've found Samsung to be very all or nothing when it comes to some things and putting apps to sleep is one of those things. Just like the way I found this out it probably happened to you the same way. For me I got some innocuous notification that X was running in the background and like everyone that has ever thought about their battery life ever, I said yes to putting the app to sleep. What I assumed at the time to be a one and done just for today turned out to be a one and done forever. Not that I would have read it probably but if the warning I got in that notification had said anything about "this is forever", "this may affect the way the app behaves in the future", "hey once you agree don't expect this app to work in the background ever again" or anything indicating the permanence of this choice I might not have suffered for those 3 days but obviously that's not how it works. It would also have been nice if it was like everything else and given the options "just this time" or "always", I mean it seems to give us those options all of the time. LOL

Anyway I'm glad that worked for you. Still can't get over it happening to Maps but in Samsung's defense navigation is probably something that more people use with the screen on or at least with Maps open somewhere on screen, PIP or full screen, AndroidAuto something.

sjt123

Nov 30, 2021
Visit site
Gary, happens to me too. I was able to fix it. Appears that when "Driving Mode" is enabled, it hides all notifications (for safety presumably) including Google Maps notifications. In maps, click your picture in the top right, then settings, navigation settings, google assistant settings, and disable 'launch driving mode'. You should be good now.

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Gary, happens to me too. I was able to fix it. Appears that when "Driving Mode" is enabled, it hides all notifications (for safety presumably) including Google Maps notifications. In maps, click your picture in the top right, then settings, navigation settings, google assistant settings, and disable 'launch driving mode'. You should be good now.

Good tip. I like the idea of Drive Mode but it's just not properly executed yet. Far too many bugs at this point. So, I've disabled it.