Back up texts and able to read them on PC?

phoenixone

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I really need to clear out old texts from my Google Messages app but I still need to reference them quite often (grammar?:confused:) and I would love if I could back up my texts to my PC and read them when I need to. I use SMS Backup & Restore and I am able to save the backup on my PC but it saves it as .XML file and I am unable to open and read them because I either receive errors that the file is too big to read or programs that claim are able to open and read it just hang forever while trying to open it.
Anyone have a solution that would enable me to backup my google messages texts on my pc and read them from my PC?
Thank you for your help!:)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try SMS Backup+, which backs up to your Gmail instead. It hasn't been updated since 2018, but I see very recent reviews that say it still works fine.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It looks like they get saved to your Gmail, so you could read them from your Gmail web interface.

EDIT: I've never tried it before, so I can't say this for certain.

phoenixone

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It looks like they get saved to your Gmail, so you could read them from your Gmail web interface.

EDIT: I've never tried it before, so I can't say this for certain.

I will give it a try and keep you posted to see if it works. Thank you so very much for your help!

phoenixone

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll try to see if there is a work around and keep u posted. Again, thanks for your help. The "freakin awesome award" goes to you! 😁

phoenixone

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Turns out Google blocked the app due to it "not being secure". So that's that for SMS Backup +.
Anyone else can help out with a way to read backed up texts on PC?
Thanks!

phoenixone

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Aw nuts! The print and restore didn't work well either. Go figure huh? This day and age, you would think backing up texts on pc and being able to read them from your PC would be a cornerstone. So frustrating something you think that is so simple turns out to be so hard.
And again, thanks B Diddy for your awesome help!

phoenixone

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded and installed java. Then I downloaded and installed the XML reader. Clicked Load the XML file and it just hangs. :mad:
*slams head against the wall. Knocks self unconscious. wakes up a few hours later in a daze*
I'm having the worst luck. Nothing seems to work. Bet ya if I needed all the solutions to hang and freeze, it wouldnt. Lol.
Thanks Diddy. But it looks like we're maybe out of options.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Let me ask some of my cohorts if they have any other suggestions. Sorry we're striking out here!:-\

phoenixone

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Looks like this will allow me to read texts from my PC but im looking to back up/save my texts to my PC and be able to read the backed up texts from my PC when I need to reference one.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Looks like this will allow me to read texts from my PC but im looking to back up/save my texts to my PC and be able to read the backed up texts from my PC when I need to reference one.
Not the same as reading instant texts from phone or you delete them there?