12-07-2021 11:15 AM
27 12
tools
    I really need to clear out old texts from my Google Messages app but I still need to reference them quite often (grammar?) and I would love if I could back up my texts to my PC and read them when I need to. I use SMS Backup & Restore and I am able to save the backup on my PC but it saves it as .XML file and I am unable to open and read them because I either receive errors that the file is too big to read or programs that claim are able to open and read it just hang forever while trying to open it.
    Anyone have a solution that would enable me to backup my google messages texts on my pc and read them from my PC?
    Thank you for your help!
    11-13-2021 10:31 AM
    Try SMS Backup+, which backs up to your Gmail instead. It hasn't been updated since 2018, but I see very recent reviews that say it still works fine.
    11-13-2021 11:36 AM
    Try SMS Backup+, which backs up to your Gmail instead. It hasn't been updated since 2018, but I see very recent reviews that say it still works fine.
    Will I be able to read my backed up texts from my PC?
    11-13-2021 01:04 PM
    It looks like they get saved to your Gmail, so you could read them from your Gmail web interface.

EDIT: I've never tried it before, so I can't say this for certain.
    phoenixone likes this.
    11-13-2021 01:33 PM
    It looks like they get saved to your Gmail, so you could read them from your Gmail web interface.

EDIT: I've never tried it before, so I can't say this for certain.
    I will give it a try and keep you posted to see if it works. Thank you so very much for your help!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-13-2021 01:35 PM
    This message popped up. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Back up texts and able to read them on PC?-screenshot_20211113-144511_google-play-services.jpg  
    11-13-2021 01:47 PM
    Interesting. I suppose it has to do with the app wanting access to your Gmail acccount. There might be a solution on the app's website: https://github.com/jberkel/sms-backu...-request-token
    ironass likes this.
    11-13-2021 01:55 PM
    I'll try to see if there is a work around and keep u posted. Again, thanks for your help. The "freakin awesome award" goes to you! 😁
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-13-2021 02:09 PM
    Turns out Google blocked the app due to it "not being secure". So that's that for SMS Backup +.
    Anyone else can help out with a way to read backed up texts on PC?
    Thanks!
    11-13-2021 03:42 PM
    Ok, one more suggestion, but I'm not as familiar with this one: SMS Backup, Print & Restore

Recently updated, high ratings, reviews seem legit and the dev also responds to reviews.
    phoenixone likes this.
    11-13-2021 05:21 PM
    Aw nuts! The print and restore didn't work well either. Go figure huh? This day and age, you would think backing up texts on pc and being able to read them from your PC would be a cornerstone. So frustrating something you think that is so simple turns out to be so hard.
    And again, thanks B Diddy for your awesome help!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-14-2021 10:40 AM
    Maybe it's just an issue with having a good XML reader for SMS Backup & Restore. Did you already try this one? https://mattj.io/sms-backup-reader/
    11-14-2021 11:45 AM
    Yes. But unfortunately it doesn't work. When I try to open the file, it just hangs.
    11-14-2021 11:54 AM
    You're trying it on a PC? Java is installed, right? It doesn't come preinstalled on Windows, so you need to install it from the Java site: https://www.java.com/en/download/windows_offline.jsp
    11-14-2021 12:07 PM
    Downloaded and installed java. Then I downloaded and installed the XML reader. Clicked Load the XML file and it just hangs.
    *slams head against the wall. Knocks self unconscious. wakes up a few hours later in a daze*
    I'm having the worst luck. Nothing seems to work. Bet ya if I needed all the solutions to hang and freeze, it wouldnt. Lol.
    Thanks Diddy. But it looks like we're maybe out of options.
    11-15-2021 09:46 AM
    Let me ask some of my cohorts if they have any other suggestions. Sorry we're striking out here!
    phoenixone likes this.
    11-15-2021 12:09 PM
    Thanks. Really appreciate all the help!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-15-2021 12:12 PM
    11-15-2021 12:23 PM
    Looks like this will allow me to read texts from my PC but im looking to back up/save my texts to my PC and be able to read the backed up texts from my PC when I need to reference one.
    tardus likes this.
    11-15-2021 06:10 PM
    Looks like this will allow me to read texts from my PC but im looking to back up/save my texts to my PC and be able to read the backed up texts from my PC when I need to reference one.
    Not the same as reading instant texts from phone or you delete them there?
    11-15-2021 09:46 PM
    Not the same as reading instant texts from phone or you delete them there?
    Not sure I understand what you're asking. Is it you're wondering if I would be deleting my texts fromy phone after I would back them up to my PC? Yes I would. But I have yet to because I haven't found a solution of a way to read the backed up texts on PC. Hope that's what you were asking. 8f not, forgive me for not understanding.
    11-16-2021 08:34 AM
    I have an identical requirement (but LG not Samsung phone). The only option might be to find an Android emulator that lives on a PC - a virtualized instance of Android. Copy the messages to the PC, import into virtual instance of Android under WIndows or other desktop OS, and keep that read only.

I have many GB of sms and mms that I want to view on a PC, so that I can delete these messages from the Android phone.
    11-21-2021 11:57 AM
    Not sure I understand what you're asking. Is it you're wondering if I would be deleting my texts fromy phone after I would back them up to my PC? Yes I would. But I have yet to because I haven't found a solution of a way to read the backed up texts on PC. Hope that's what you were asking. 8f not, forgive me for not understanding.
    No problem sorry didn't see your response to me .
    So your saying u want to see back up text on your computer ? If you have access to text from that link I mentioned on your computer can you control your messages with that , meaning delete text and view text? So not exactly sure why you want to see deleted back up text , maybe I not understanding correctly?
    11-21-2021 06:24 PM
    No problem sorry didn't see your response to me .
    So your saying u want to see back up text on your computer ? If you have access to text from that link I mentioned on your computer can you control your messages with that , meaning delete text and view text? So not exactly sure why you want to see deleted back up text , maybe I not understanding correctly?
    I don't think you understand our (the OP's and my) requirement.

We want to clear sms/mms off of our phones BUT still have them available read only viewable on a PC/MAC. I haven't found a practical solution for this.
    12-05-2021 10:49 AM
    I don't think you understand our (the OP's and my) requirement.

We want to clear sms/mms off of our phones BUT still have them available read only viewable on a PC/MAC. I haven't found a practical solution for this.
    That way im not aware of but thanks for clearing that up .
    12-05-2021 10:51 AM
27 12