BUK9 update. Samsung fixing lag bug on U.S. S21's

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Got the update on 11/23 on my Verizon S21+. Some apps stay on 120HZ while others still revert back to 60HZ while scrolling. I would say it affects about half of my apps.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Got the update on 11/23 on my Verizon S21+. Some apps stay on 120HZ while others still revert back to 60HZ while scrolling. I would say it affects about half of my apps.
What I've found is that if I start a scroll by quickly flicking my finger, then the refresh rate behaves as your describe. But if my finger remains in contact with the screen, and in motion (either in one direction or back-and-forth), for at least half a second before breaking contact with the screen, then the refresh rate stays at 120 Hz as the scrolling continues. That's on a G998U1 with BUK7, but I'd guess it'll apply to BUK9 as well.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
If anyone is interested, Galaxy HZ app apparently fixes lag by locking refresh rate.
Be careful, though. This is a workaround, not a fix. Its disadvantage is that if you lock the rate at 120 Hz, you pay the price of significant extra battery drain (the point of adaptive refresh is to avoid that problem). Or if you lock the rate at 60 Hz, then you entirely abandon the smooth refresh rate that was one of the phone's major selling points. Some people may prefer one of those tradeoffs, but it's important to mention what tradeoffs there are.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
By the time the useless US carriers certify the new BUK9 update, it'll be another month lol. It's so hard for Samsung to push updates on their own timeline because they have to bend over to the US carriers including the US unlocked they sell directly.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
By the time the useless US carriers certify the new BUK9 update, it'll be another month lol. It's so hard for Samsung to push updates on their own timeline because they have to bend over to the US carriers including the US unlocked they sell directly.
I hope one day that changes .

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I hope one day that changes .
Yeah me too, but unfortunately we are in such a minority that even notice/worry or care about this stuff that Samsung and others have no incentives to bypass this. For them carriers are still the main customers who can push their devices to regular people.

At least the updates somewhat come around at the same time as the carrier models which is better than how it was the very beginning Samsung started selling direct unlocked models. I can remember it could be a month or two late during the initial days. So things are much better now even though not perfect.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah me too, but unfortunately we are in such a minority that even notice/worry or care about this stuff that Samsung and others have no incentives to bypass this. For them carriers are still the main customers who can push their devices to regular people.

At least the updates somewhat come around at the same time as the carrier models which is better than how it was the very beginning Samsung started selling direct unlocked models. I can remember it could be a month or two late during the initial days. So things are much better now even though not perfect.
I agree , and I do remember unlocked models getting updates very late back then :(

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
So I have a slightly different issue. At first after the android 12 update, I had the issue when you lift your finger off the screen it reverted back to 60 hz thus making it appear laggy. Now, after some restarts, it seems to be stuck in 120 hz all the time. Very annoying. I checked by enabling show refresh rate in developer setting ...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So I have a slightly different issue. At first after the android 12 update, I had the issue when you lift your finger off the screen it reverted back to 60 hz thus making it appear laggy. Now, after some restarts, it seems to be stuck in 120 hz all the time. Very annoying. I checked by enabling show refresh rate in developer setting ...
Probably has to do with lag bug

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Probably has to do with lag bug

I just learned and confirmed the behavior of refresh rate. When everything is working normally, refresh rate will be variable depending on the ambient light sensor value as well as display brightness value. At low values like at night and dimed brightness, the refresh rate will stay at 120hz. In brighter conditions, when the screen is not being scrolled, the refresh rate will be at 60hz then 120hz when scrolling then back down to 60 when not scrolling. The bug is will there dough, but at least now I know why my screen rate was at 120hz all the time...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I just learned and confirmed the behavior of refresh rate. When everything is working normally, refresh rate will be variable depending on the ambient light sensor value as well as display brightness value. At low values like at night and dimed brightness, the refresh rate will stay at 120hz. In brighter conditions, when the screen is not being scrolled, the refresh rate will be at 60hz then 120hz when scrolling then back down to 60 when not scrolling. The bug is will there dough, but at least now I know why my screen rate was at 120hz all the time...
Yeah certain conditions will keep at 120hz but I havnt followed enough when it happens and how long just not something I keep track of just leave adaptive screen rate on and let it do its work .