Is my new S21 worth rooting?

Chevy-SS

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
My father bought a S21, and didn't like it, so he gave it to me. I would have preferred the '+' with a slightly larger screen, but oh well. Not supposed to look a gift horse in the mouth, haha.

I have not yet switched over to this phone. My question is: is this phone worth rooting? I want to avoid spam 'alerts' and 'important' texts and constant nagging updates, and all the other BS from the ten million marketers out there. I would just as soon delete almost every single app on the phone.

Optionally: does the S21 have the capability to delete (or completely deactivate) the annoying apps?

Many thanks............... :)

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Do you use Google Pay, Samsung Pay, Netflix, banking apps? If so, root will remove the ability to use any of those.

I use this app to disable anything preinstalled that I don't want.

Chevy-SS

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Do you use Google Pay, Samsung Pay, Netflix, banking apps? If so, root will remove the ability to use any of those.

I use this app to disable anything preinstalled that I don't want.

I don't use any of those services you list, but I like the concept of that app you linked. Do they have a USA link? I will look. Thanks!

EDIT: this app almost looks too good to be true, LOL!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't use any of those services you list, but I like the concept of that app you linked. Do they have a USA link? I will look. Thanks!

It will convert from GBP to USA dollars when you pay for it. It works great for me, even for disabling Bixby.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Rooting is harder on US version , try Samsung Good lock app in galaxy store for customization , really no need to root these days .

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
This requires a bit of technical aptitude, but pre-installed apps can be removed from the command line. Shouldn't be difficult for anyone comfortable with rooting.

https://www.techmesto.com/uninstall-pre-installed-apps-from-android-phone/

There are apps in the Play Store that list all the package names of your installed apps (easier that tapping on each app's settings). I totally debloated my S20 FE and also removed a few apps on my P6P that can only be disabled in settings

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This requires a bit of technical aptitude, but pre-installed apps can be removed from the command line. Shouldn't be difficult for anyone comfortable with rooting.

https://www.techmesto.com/uninstall-pre-installed-apps-from-android-phone/

There are apps in the Play Store that list all the package names of your installed apps (easier that tapping on each app's settings). I totally debloated my S20 FE and also removed a few apps on my P6P that can only be disabled in settings
Never like doing through command line , i like the lexury do everything on demand from package disabler pro as you can see later what you disabled and reinstall with one click and no computer . If you doing couple apps maybe use this way but after done you not going remember what you disable then factory reset to figure it out .

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Never like doing through command line , i like the lexury do everything on demand from package disabler pro as you can see later what you disabled and reinstall with one click and no computer . If you doing couple apps maybe use this way but after done you not going remember what you disable then factory reset to figure it out .

I definitely take a conservative approach. If uncertain about any pkg name, I leave it alone.

Having these options and different ways of doing things is what's cool about Android and why I'm a fan of the platform.

andee1517

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Personally I miss rooting. Yes there is definitely the ability to customize a little more (thank you Hex!) but doesn't come close to rooting IMO. Created it's own headaches from time to time but still enjoyed it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Personally I miss rooting. Yes there is definitely the ability to customize a little more (thank you Hex!) but doesn't come close to rooting IMO. Created it's own headaches from time to time but still enjoyed it.
It was fun , i did it to get features from other manufacturers .

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I rooted an old Nexus 7 tablet and installed a custom ROM just because it was fun to play around with it, but it's not something I'd consider nowadays on a modern Android device. I'll play with Linux on a desktop PC from time to time when I want to try different things with the desktop, icons, boot screen, etc.