How to keep screen whil in call

Tim98TA

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
How can I get the screen to stay on while in a call?
I have tried to turn on "Keep screen on while viewing" setting, but that didn't work.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Its supposed to go off as soon as you put it to your ear then pull away come back on to prevent accidental touches

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you already tried changing to speakerphone for calls where you need to access the screen? That should keep the screen on.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If the screen is immediately going dark as soon as you start a call (without even bringing the phone up to your ear), then something may be blocking the proximity sensor, like a poorly fitting screen protector or case. If you have either, try taking them off.

Tim98TA

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
If the screen is immediately going dark as soon as you start a call (without even bringing the phone up to your ear), then something may be blocking the proximity sensor, like a poorly fitting screen protector or case. If you have either, try taking them off.

So I just tried something. It does go dark when I put it to my ear, but comes back on if I move it away. BUT, if I am on a call for more than 2 minutes, it stays dark. My screen timer is set for 2 minutes. My S9 would stay on past the 2 minutes if I was on a call.
Am I missing something with a setting maybe?

Tim98TA

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Was just on a call for about 30-40 seconds. Screen went blank when I brought to my ear. Moved it away from my ear when done, and it stayed blank. Had to log in my phone to hang up.

Tim98TA

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Checked my screen protector. It's clear of it.
The case I have is a very thin case and also not in the way.
I just tried to make a call and the person did not answer. Brought it away from my ear and blank screen. It seems hit or miss.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Checked my screen protector. It's clear of it.
The case I have is a very thin case and also not in the way.
I just tried to make a call and the person did not answer. Brought it away from my ear and blank screen. It seems hit or miss.
Yeah tested my Note 20u and out to the ear it goes black then remove and screen comes on , try clearing data and force stop the phone app , to do that long press then phone app then tap info>go to storage clear data then back out one and force stop

Tim98TA

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah tested my Note 20u and out to the ear it goes black then remove and screen comes on , try clearing data and force stop the phone app , to do that long press then phone app then tap info>go to storage clear data then back out one and force stop

Just did that.
Same thing.
Made a call and put to my ear for about 8-10 seconds. Black screen and had to log on to hang up.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just did that.
Same thing.
Made a call and put to my ear for about 8-10 seconds. Black screen and had to log on to hang up.
Also try clearing cache in recovery if it is still happening then go into safe mode and see if still does it

Tim98TA

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Where exactly is the proximity sensor on this phone? I thought it was tied in with the camera.
If I start off from the left side of the phone I can cover up the lens, and go past it .
If I come in from the right of the phone, the screen goes black about 1/4" from the lens. Very odd.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Where exactly is the proximity sensor on this phone? I thought it was tied in with the camera.
If I start off from the left side of the phone I can cover up the lens, and go past it .
If I come in from the right of the phone, the screen goes black about 1/4" from the lens. Very odd.
Should be right in that area