Anybody using the RAM Plus Feature in device care?

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I saw that my S22 ultra has a Ram Plus feature and its set to 4GB and im wondering if its better to turn it up to 6 or 8gb? what are the benefits and if any the downsides?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I saw that my S22 ultra has a Ram Plus feature and its set to 4GB and im wondering if its better to turn it up to 6 or 8gb? what are the benefits and if any the downsides?

Good grief, I assume most people getting the S22 Ultra will be opting for at least 256 GB storage-and hence 12 GB RAM.

Do you really need extra RAM when dealing with 12 GB?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I've got the 128/8gb version and cranked the Ram Plus up to 8 but can honestly say I've seen no real benefit or detriment to performance

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Good grief, I assume...

Do you really need extra RAM when dealing with 12 GB?

It does seem kind of odd that since Samsung was giving everyone free upgrades if they pre ordered that many would take advantage of that but in another day the pre-orders will end and so will the upgrades so there are likely to many who get the base model. One should never assume.

As for 12GB being enough, it likely is but once again one should never assume, and given that last years model offered a 16GB option it is not unreasonable for some to want to maximize their experience. I mean if one buys a 4K television but only ever watches 1080p programming what is the point if one never tries out or take advantage of the capability that one has?

@dov1987 you may not have noticed the benefit but try turning it off and see if you miss it? I've been living on reviews, comparisons and the like until my unit arrives and in one review I watched the vlogger got the 128/8 model. They noticed that many of the apps they left actually closed/stopped in the background due to not having enough RAM to hold them. So when switching back to a previously open app it would reboot as if opened for the first time even though it had been selected from the recently opened/quick launch page. My 12GB S21 Ultra will do this to some apps if I have multiple RAM intensive apps open in a short period of time even with 4 additional ROM GBs going to RAM. I don't have the ability to turn it up on this model but it would be interesting to see what might change if I could.

frank-barnett

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Just noticed this setting now. Do not see a way to turn it off. Just a different amount of storage to use. Now maybe I should have gotten the 1 terabyte version! ??????

frank-barnett

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Just noticed this setting now. Do not see a way to turn it off. Just a different amount of storage to use. Now maybe I should have gotten the 1 terabyte version! 😂

Solun1

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site

You should be able to have more apps open in the background without them restarting from scratch when you launch them again. So your phone won't run faster or slower, but it can help with multitasking. That being said, you can do the same thing from Samsung's Good Guardians app (in the Memory module section) where you can turn on a setting to leave more apps in RAM - and this means real RAM, not virtual one.

About downsides - I noticed someone on the web mentioning that because virtual RAM uses your phone's flash drive storage, it could mean the storage depreciates faster. This is because flash storage like SSDs or phones have limited lifespan, in this case limited amount of read/write operations. When you assign some of that space for virtual RAM, then then space will eventually, after a long time, become damaged. The question is if this affects only the space you allocate for the virtual RAM, or if it affects your whole device. Another question is how long will it take - personally I think it would be at least several years so unless you plan on using your phone for more than five years, you should be fine I guess. But your normal RAM is better at being a RAM than the flash storage so if I had a brand new phone (and especially with as much RAM as new flagship phones), I would turn the feature off.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Only if your device was under spec in ram department, I set mine to 2 the lowest this device already comes 16gb ram

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
For low-range and mid-range phones with 4GB and 6GB of physical RAM the RAM+ feature may offer a tangible benefit and, if I'm not mistaken, this is where the feature first appeared. For phones with 8GB or more of RAM I'm rather doubtful that RAM+ has any benefit whatsoever. I just don't think Android is at a stage where more than 8GB of RAM is making a real difference. Perhaps someone's experience here differs.

Now, in the future. Yeah, perhaps.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm a bit annoyed it can't be turned off. Virtual memory is a crutch for low end hardware and has no place on a top tier device.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

I can't get the Android Forums app to work anymore. It just hangs on the splash screen. I didn't have it at first on this phoner (S22 Ultra), but installed it and it didn;'t work. Uninstalled it and reinstalled a number of days later and it still won't open.

I assume you're also on Android 12 on the P6P?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I can't get the Android Forums app to work anymore. It just hangs on the splash screen. I didn't have it at first on this phoner (S22 Ultra), but installed it and it didn;'t work. Uninstalled it and reinstalled a number of days later and it still won't open.

I assume you're also on Android 12 on the P6P?
Try clearing cache then force stop or swipe it out of recent ram , it's been glitchy I also use Tapatalk which ACF app is based off and paid version without ads and that's more dependable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781