Bitter Sweet. microSD no more. *not complaining, applause to Samsung.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
So I just transferred majority of my music and videos in my S22U from my 256GB microSD and now only have 43GB.

It just feels weird, for the first time I have to adjust how I use my phone. I understand why Samsung made the move, I have no complaints as we've been SPOILED for years and it was just a matter of time.

They could've milked us for even more, like Apple with their storage options but they didn't by offering 256GB for the price of 128GB. Sure, you can say it's marketing...

Hopefully, they continue this for the Z Flip4.

Like I always say, IT'S BUSINESS DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL.

BTW, I still blame Apple for this. LOL

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Wait, why applaud? They took something away that literally every cheaper phone still has and continues to have. It's not like they're taking away our cigarettes, which would actually be to our benefit. They're limiting how we use our phones by taking away a feature so they could charge us more for extra storage. I beg to differ that their decision is making US better as consumers and making us more mindful in how we use our phones.

Having storage be something that "spoils" us would be like saying watching TV for more than 3 hours a day was excessive, so thank you BBC for limiting how much I can consume. How did they spoil us?

I don't get it. Help me

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I went from a 128 GB S10+ with a 256 GB SD card to a 512 GB S22 Ultra, so I still have more storage than I had previously.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used a SD card card since the note 5 and I can't say that I miss it. As long as my phone has at least 256 gb of storage I'm good. I only get the 512 because I can, but I honestly don't need all that.

I do get having the extra storage option is always a plus for some people though.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I purchased my s22 Ultra with enough storage to cover my needs. I am very appreciative that Samsung discounted the storage upgrades for the s22 line.

:)

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Are people still limiting their phone selection cuz they want to carry their old music and videos? What's the point of having hundreds of GB of videos on your phone?

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Are people still limiting their phone selection cuz they want to carry their old music and videos? What's the point of having hundreds of GB of videos on your phone?
Well I'm assuming that some people travel a lot and/or have limited access to wifi and streaming services.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
You know, it wasn't too long ago that phones had 32g of storage, and that was an option. My Note 2 has 16g. The reason companies are so "generous" is because of the obvious...apps are larger, there are more apps your phone needs now versus 5 years ago, and because updates are more frequent and add up to a few gigs themselves. Don't forget that it's 256g before actual system files and OS, so it's all relative. I have a 256g phone that is only using 77g because I'm actively restricting which apps I should download, along with actively deleting photos because they are stored in the cloud...but in a degraded state that isn't 100% of the version my $1000 phone took to begin with. If I didn't have a memory card slot, then I'd also have to consider whether I wanted to use my 12g RAM Spa dragon 855 phone to emulate everything from NES to PS2, because guess what, those ROMs also take up a lot of space...or if all that power was just for show.

So essentially, 256g is a lot...if you don't use your phone to its fullest capacity, make unnecessary sacrifices on how and what apps to use, and are willing to gimp photos you took on a camera that was probably one of the reasons you bought that phone to begin with, but the irony is that the photos you take won't be the photos you see because instead of storing them at 100% quality on your phone or SD card, they're at 16mb or less in the cloud.

No. No one should be thanking phone companies for limiting any of our options. I would argue that 256g now is like 128g a couple of years ago, and in a few years, 512g is going to be the norm.. but guess what would alleviate that stress and help your phone last a few years longer before being either too full or too bloated with updates to do anything besides the bare minimum? Expandable storage.

Last edited:

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Wait, why applaud? They took something away that literally every cheaper phone still has and continues to have. It's not like they're taking away our cigarettes, which would actually be to our benefit. They're limiting how we use our phones by taking away a feature so they could charge us more for extra storage. I beg to differ that their decision is making US better as consumers and making us more mindful in how we use our phones.

Having storage be something that "spoils" us would be like saying watching TV for more than 3 hours a day was excessive, so thank you BBC for limiting how much I can consume. How did they spoil us?

I don't get it. Help me

I applaud Samsung because they could've easily taken the microSD away years ago and followed Apple's way of thinking. Look how long they basically forced their fans to pay for a bigger storage capacity, how many years did they stick with the base storage of 32GB. I get it, very smart business wise.

Too bad I can't say the same for the 3.5mm headphone jack because after a year Samsung folded. LOL

I am not a fan of paid monthly streaming services. I've always preferred buying my Music, Movies and TV Shows.

Luckily I have friends who shares it with me but even then it's a PITA. Netflix, YouTube for example, I downloaded a few videos but still have problems playing them just people my connection isn't stable.

Again, not complaining about the lack of microSD. I'm aware I don't need to have thousands of Music with me or hundreds of Movies & TV Shows.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used a SD card card since the note 5 and I can't say that I miss it. As long as my phone has at least 256 gb of storage I'm good. I only get the 512 because I can, but I honestly don't need all that.

I do get having the extra storage option is always a plus for some people though.
It's funny you say that when the note 5 was the first note without the SD card option. I still remember all the backlash they received for that lol. I knew it was only a matter of time before they removed it for good though. It was inevitable.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I applaud Samsung because they could've easily taken the microSD away years ago and followed Apple's way of thinking. Look how long they basically forced their fans to pay for a bigger storage capacity, how many years did they stick with the base storage of 32GB. I get it, very smart business wise.

Too bad I can't say the same for the 3.5mm headphone jack because after a year Samsung folded. LOL

I am not a fan of paid monthly streaming services. I've always preferred buying my Music, Movies and TV Shows.

Luckily I have friends who shares it with me but even then it's a PITA. Netflix, YouTube for example, I downloaded a few videos but still have problems playing them just people my connection isn't stable.

Again, not complaining about the lack of microSD. I'm aware I don't need to have thousands of Music with me or hundreds of Movies & TV Shows.
That's actually incorrect. Motorola did it first in 2016 with the Moto Z force(which no one likes to give credit to) then Apple did as well with their iPhone 7. Samsung didn't follow suit until 4 years later in 2020 with the S20 series. The S10 series still had the headphone jack. I knew eventually it was going away when Moto did it, but I do give credit for Samsung for not immediately following suit although Apple wasn't the first to do it either.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Taking features away while raising prices is never a good look :eek: :-\
What do you have to say about the price decrease?

S20 Ultra was 1,399
S20+ was 1,199
S20 was 999

My main issue would be base storage. 256gb should be standard especially when they have a device called "Ultra" lol

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
What do you have to say about the price decrease?

S20 Ultra was 1,399
S20+ was 1,199
S20 was 999

My main issue would be base storage. 256gb should be standard especially when they have a device called "Ultra" lol

My S22 Ultra with 256GB was $1199.99 and under the standard price it would have been $1299.99; NOT $1399.99

Yes, prices went down with the S22 over the S20 series; in fact, believe they went down with the S21.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Taking features away while raising prices is never a good look :eek: :-\

Although I agree on the generality of your statement, in my case, my S22 Ultra (1199.99) has twice the internal storage as my 18 month old Note 20 Ultra (1299.99 which has a SD card slot) at a cost of $100.00 less.

So I have double the internal storage, saved $100.00 & lost the SD slot.

Even without the bonus storage promo, the MSRP is still $100.00 less. So I feel I received more for less money.
:)

Well as usual, by the time I finished my post, two others had posted. I tend to sound redundant, but I'm just slow.
:(

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
First with so many options for listening and watching who still carries music stored on a device? Hey I get it. I was that guy. As a matter of fact I just noticed some backup folders on my desktop one of which had a monster file with music and album art that was created in 2015. Some time between then and now I just stopped updating and adding that folder to my devices. I must have stopped feeling the need to have physical music with me.

As for milking their customers, they still are. You must have missed Samsung's new USB drives. Well USB-C drives if you want to be totally correct. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...duo-plus-256gb-muf-256db-am%2F&token=MftC0bZ_

Just imagine trading something tiny that goes inside of your device for something not as tiny that you have to carry or keep track of... Tell me we're not living in the future. LOL

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
First with so many options for listening and watching who still carries music stored on a device? Hey I get it. I was that guy. As a matter of fact I just noticed some backup folders on my desktop one of which had a monster file with music and album art that was created in 2015. Some time between then and now I just stopped updating and adding that folder to my devices. I must have stopped feeling the need to have physical music with me.

As for milking their customers, they still are. You must have missed Samsung's new USB drives. Well USB-C drives if you want to be totally correct. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...duo-plus-256gb-muf-256db-am%2F&token=Sp2mUEU0

Just imagine trading something tiny that goes inside of your device for something not as tiny that you have to carry or keep track of... Tell me we're not living in the future. LOL
I still carry all my music on my device. I'm going to forever be that girl.Lol

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I still carry all my music on my device. I'm going to forever be that girl.Lol
And I'll be that guy. I have a lot of content that simply isn't readily available online, or would make you pay for it even though I've already paid to own a copy. I don't watch or listen to them all the time, but I do every now and then.

I currently have 128GB internal and a 128 GB micro-SD in my phone. Let's just say anything less than 512 GB in a phone with no card slot is a hard pass for me. If I'm limited to 256 GB, I'd risk running out of storage. I'd prefer my next phone be at least 256 GB with a card slot. That way I wouldn't have to pay an inflated price for extra storage, and transferring my card is instant vs taking the time to copy everything over.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
And I'll be that guy. I have a lot of content that simply isn't readily available online, or would make you pay for it even though I've already paid to own a copy. I don't watch or listen to them all the time, but I do every now and then.

I currently have 128GB internal and a 128 GB micro-SD in my phone. Let's just say anything less than 512 GB in a phone with no card slot is a hard pass for me. If I'm limited to 256 GB, I'd risk running out of storage. I'd prefer my next phone be at least 256 GB with a card slot. That way I wouldn't have to pay an inflated price for extra storage, and transferring my card is instant vs taking the time to copy everything over.
I'm liking USB c stick portable memory just attach to keychain.

Ed_Grohl

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I started using Plexamp for all of my music a few years ago. Has been excellent for me. I know it probably isn't for everyone, but if you want to host your music remotely, I'd recommend it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463