Be wary of attempting to return your device to Verizon

Shellcracker

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
So today my phone got EXTREMELY hot(see pic) and it regularly gets up to 98-99 just doing mundane tasks such as browsing the net and posting here, and other light activity.

It was a pretty day so I got outside(81 degree air temp, 88% humidity) took some photos, and as you can see, the phone got MAJORLY hot.

At that point since I still have 3 more weeks or so to make an exchange for another device of the same model via store warranty , I decided to go to the point of purchase at my local Verizon store and tried to swap it.

Instead they shot me the line of "well you have a third party battery app installed,its going to tell you thst to scare you, therefore we will not exchange your device". Even though there is VERY clearly the same exact temperature warnining from the system itself, which absolurely should have validated an exchange.

Bur I digress, they refused, so now I have to use my device in power save mode at all times and not watch much video or do camera recordings. The rep installed a benchmark test and claimed because my phone passed it, there is no grounds to exchange.

So I am now stuck with a bomb of a phone that is probably going to either blow up or its going to severely degrade my battery because of heating up during simple tasks. Lovely :/. I guess I'll use it till it inevitably blows on me I suppose.

109 degrees!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220515-150843_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220515-150843_Chrome.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 66

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Monitor in safe mode or do a factory reset, another thing try different store may get you different results , that's crazy because you have a battery app installed:(

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'd do the factory reset too. Factory reset it so that no 3rd party apps on it and just go back and tell them you were still having overheating issues. :-[ I mean your within your 30 you should be able to return it for something else if you are not satisfied no questions asked. But if that's now how they do things now-a-days, I'd try this.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately the return policy is point of purchase. So I cannot take it to another store.
Whoa, I never heard of that before. That's crazy! What if you moved to another state in that 30 days? Does that mean you'd have to return to the store you bought it at? Verizon is Verizon is Verizon. I'd call Verizon customer service.

Shellcracker

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
what luck :(

I'm thinking about filing a complaint while I'm still in the 30 day return period. I want a phone, not something that's gonna get dangerously hot for the least little thing.

Imo the wcreenshot where it showed 109 degrees from the system warning should have been enough to convince them its a defective and possibly dangerous unit.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm thinking about filing a complaint while I'm still in the 30 day return period. I want a phone, not something that's gonna get dangerously hot for the least little thing.

Imo the wcreenshot where it showed 109 degrees from the system warning should have been enough to convince them its a defective and possibly dangerous unit.
Definitely see what happens , go to a corporate store or call customer service.

Shellcracker

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Definitely see what happens , go to a corporate store or call customer service.

Definitely gonna do that first thing in the morning. And it's not like I'm trying to cheat my way to an upgrade to like an ultra. My request is simple, I want my S22 unit swapped for another S22 unit of the same color that I don't have to worry about burning me or blowing up. I am more than impressed and pleased with the power of this base model with the battery heating issue notwithstanding.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Definitely gonna do that first thing in the morning. And it's not like I'm trying to cheat my way to an upgrade to like an ultra. My request is simple, I want my S22 unit swapped for another S22 unit of the same color that I don't have to worry about burning me or blowing up. I am more than impressed and pleased with the power of this base model with the battery heating issue notwithstanding.
Keep us posted

Shellcracker

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Keep us posted

I sure will. Right now it's behaving. But during the day is when it acts up. I get ambient air temp having some effect on temperature, but in no way should it shoot to 109 degrees in 81 degree air temps. To 90 perhaps yes, due to sunlight. But to me 109 is far too out of proportion to be of normal consequence.

nuangel2

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I hate Verizon for this reason they don't support their customers. Of tmobile att and Verizon in my experience Verizon CS sucks. I have had terrible experience with Verizon in past. I love my t mobile no CS issues ever

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I used to work at Verizon, it was standard policy to do a factory reset to ensure it was actually a problem with the phone, however it sounds like you had a bit of a jerk for a rep.

Shellcracker

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
I used to work at Verizon, it was standard policy to do a factory reset to ensure it was actually a problem with the phone, however it sounds like you had a bit of a jerk for a rep.

Yeah he had a real sour attitude. Seemed judgemental too. He didn't seem to like that I was in his clean store with my work clothes on.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what convinces you that 43C is excessively hot, especially if the ambient temperature is high and if the screen has to be at maximum brightness to compete with the ambient illumination.

Which apps are reported as draining the battery? When the phone seems warm, does the temperature decline if you boot into Safe Mode?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Any time I had a warranty issue, I called Verizon's customer service and never had a problem getting a claim made. You shouldn't have to take it back to a physical store, much less the one you bought it from.

I wouldn't tell them about the third party battery monitoring app, though.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd do the factory reset too. Factory reset it so that no 3rd party apps on it and just go back and tell them you were still having overheating issues. :-[ I mean your within your 30 you should be able to return it for something else if you are not satisfied no questions asked. But if that's now how they do things now-a-days, I'd try this.

Before a full reset I'd check the battery stats (Settings > Battery and device care > Battery > tap "usage since last full charge") and see if any fo the installed apps are sucking an unusually high amount of juice. This is usdally a sign of a rogue app. It can happen when transfering data from one phone to a new one.

If any apps look outrageously high in battery percentage, uninstall and reinstall them. If they're system apps you can't uninstall, got to Settings > Apps > [the app(s) in question] > 3 dots in upper rigth coner > uninstall updates. Then reinstall the update to the latest version.

It's much easier than having to reset the whole phone, but if this doesn't seem to help then factory reset would be the next option.