S22+ Screen Flicker in daylight?

Xx-Luchia-xX

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
Hey everyone!
Just got the Samsung S22+ the other day and I noticed that the screen flickers when scrolling on the menu(black theme) it get a little brighter for a second(light a subtle flash) then goes back to normal and it only seem to happen in daylight, doesn't appear to happen at night or in the dark, I have adaptive brightness off, it's not a major thing just annoying and wanted to ask if I need to return my phone(still in the 14 day cooling off period) I've only noticed it on darker screen like the settings menu(dark theme)

Xx-Luchia-xX

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
Managed to find out the trigger.
It seems to be the proximity sensor, I used a torch to put light on screen and when turned off it did the flicker.
Is this normal or need replacing?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I tried with adaptive turn off but don't have bright sunlight to test it but screen flicker for a moment in really bright brightness might not be anything to worry.

Xx-Luchia-xX

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
I tried with adaptive turn off but don't have bright sunlight to test it but screen flicker for a moment in really bright brightness might not be anything to worry.

Thank you so much for the reply ??????
I actually did a little test with a torch, lit the screen up with a torch and when torch was turned off it and noticed the grey areas of the settings screen did the same flicker thing, I then tried with the proximity sensor covered and it didn't happen.
Not sure if that helps work it out at all

It only lasts a second or two and it's like the screen brightness is turned up slightly for a few seconds but the black boarders weren't affected it only seems to affect grey from what I've seen which concerns me it could be a hardware issue

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you so much for the reply ������
I actually did a little test with a torch, lit the screen up with a torch and when torch was turned off it and noticed the grey areas of the settings screen did the same flicker thing, I then tried with the proximity sensor covered and it didn't happen.
Not sure if that helps work it out at all

It only lasts a second or two and it's like the screen brightness is turned up slightly for a few seconds but the black boarders weren't affected it only seems to affect grey from what I've seen which concerns me it could be a hardware issue
Your welcome!
Do u use a screen protector or case that blocks the proximity sensor?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Nope, it's just a back cover case and no screen protector.
Thinking of taking the phone back to store tomorrow for a replacement as I'm rather concerned it could be a hardware issue
Ok definitely since your in the return window, keep us posted how it goes.

Xx-Luchia-xX

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
Ok definitely since your in the return window, keep us posted how it goes.

Will do, I'm really hoping it's just a software issue but better to be safe now than sorry later.
It might mean waiting a few days to get a replacement if they don't have any in stuck.
It does say on the website that faulty items can be returned within first 14 days for a replacement

Xx-Luchia-xX

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
Definitely I agree

Not sure if it makes a difference in working out if it's software or hardware but I just tested again with the adaptive smoothness set to Standard and it doesn't happen but when set to adaptive it flickers
Would that mean it's more likely to be software or hardware?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Not sure if it makes a difference in working out if it's software or hardware but I just tested again with the adaptive smoothness set to Standard and it doesn't happen but when set to adaptive it flickers
Would that mean it's more likely to be software or hardware?
Most likely software related

Xx-Luchia-xX

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
Most likely software related

Just had my partner check too and he said it definitely doesn't do it when adaptive smoothness is off but couldn't definitely see it when enabled.
If it was a hardware issue wouldn't it do it on both?
Sorry I'm not very tecky and struggle with anxiety so this is triggering me a bit as I'm worried it's faulty

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just had my partner check too and he said it definitely doesn't do it when adaptive smoothness is off but couldn't definitely see it when enabled.
If it was a hardware issue wouldn't it do it on both?
Sorry I'm not very tecky and struggle with anxiety so this is triggering me a bit as I'm worried it's faulty
I can't test this myself in sunlight today but tomorrow I can

Xx-Luchia-xX

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
I can't test this myself in sunlight today but tomorrow I can

I found it much easier to test it with a torch to be able to see it happening.
What I did was, set theme to dark mode and went onto settings screen then used a torch on the screen, when the torch went off you can see the flicker for a second but it only seems to happen on the grey areas which is confusing, I'm wondering if it could be the refresh rate changing depending on light level

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I found it much easier to test it with a torch to be able to see it happening.
What I did was, set theme to dark mode and went onto settings screen then used a torch on the screen, when the torch went off you can see the flicker for a second but it only seems to happen on the grey areas which is confusing, I'm wondering if it could be the refresh rate changing depending on light level
What screen resolution u have it set at when it happens?

Xx-Luchia-xX

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
What screen resolution u have it set at when it happens?

Just to be sure I tested it again,
With Adaptive Scrolling set to Standard it doesn't flicker at all, with it set to adaptive it flickers which is very confusing as I would of thought it was hardware related it would happen on both modes

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just to be sure I tested it again,
With Adaptive Scrolling set to Standard it doesn't flicker at all, with it set to adaptive it flickers which is very confusing as I would of thought it was hardware related it would happen on both modes
It's not hardware otherwise it would happen in either mode standard or adaptive

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad