I think I found my battery killer

Shellcracker

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
It has Eemed like every few minutes I've looked in device care ive seen a 2 hour decrease in expected battery life time. And I see in the background Verizon Cloud has been goinf almost 10 hours in the background today!!!! That cannot possibly be normal.

I wouls think with the way my battery has rapidly depreciated today, that is almost certainly responsible. Nothing else had background use more than 10 minutes.

I knew something had to be amiss because despite turning WiFi off, auto sync off, running dark mode, screen down. To about 30% brightness, Bluetooth off, NFC off, and other various wireless connections such as android Beam being off, my battery absolutely should not have depreciated like this today. In fact with me dialing everything down/off I was expecting improvement.

Looks like I found the culprit. Hopefully this can be stopped manually.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220522-183026_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20220522-183026_Device care.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 101

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Yikes! You can also restrict the battery use and turn off background data. I turn off background data on almost every app that doesn't need to be running all the time. Makes a huge difference.

Shellcracker

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Yep! Choose the app, and then the settings are in Mobile Data and Battery. I seriously turn off 'Allow background data usage' for a majority of all apps.

Nice. I'll definitely do that to all the Verizon apps. I like having cloud, but if it'd gonna run in the background and drink battery juice, if just assume to prevent it from running in the background and set an alarm for me to backup my data manually each day. It says it only used 4.6% of battery in the acreenshot, but I believe that running in the background had to play a part in the battery literally depreciating every time I turned around to check in device care. Hopefully I'll get at least an hour or two better battery after this.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I tend to do that. I find verizon cloud useful though because Google only has 15 GB of backup storage. Not to mention Gmail counts against that too.

My Google says it's full. I know you only get 15 gigs. My husband paid extra for some Google storage I think she was wondering if we could share it. I said no I don't think so. But I thought you could go to your phone and go under back up and restore and it would back everything up from Samsung and Google maybe I'm wrong. But I usually go under back up and then when I get here phone I restore and everything comes back even my home screens and folders with apps. I went to back to earlier and only see Google and it says full. My new phone will be here Wednesday. I thought about just buying a month of cloud. I know Verizon has cloud never used it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh, man! Please keep us posted on how things turn out! It figures that a carrier-made app caused it, eh? Carriers -- always in our business!

Shellcracker

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Oh, man! Please keep us posted on how things turn out! It figures that a carrier-made app caused it, eh? Carriers -- always in our business!
Yeah. That's Verizon cloud. I hate carrier apps but I've ran out of storage with Google backup so Verizon cloud is my next option. It works fine so long as it isn't running in the background when I don't want it to. I showed this screenshot to a verizoncloud support rep and they claimed it had no effect on my battery, but I know that's a bunch of bull. Because after I disabled it from running in the background, my battery didn't depreciate near as rapidly afterward.

I've set a reminder for myself to run Verizon cloud backup every night at 9pm, but I'm setting it to deep sleep while I'm not using it so that wat it can't run rampant in the background like that. 10 hrs was ridiculous.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. That's Verizon cloud. I hate carrier apps but I've ran out of storage with Google backup so Verizon cloud is my next option. It works fine so long as it isn't running in the background when I don't want it to. I showed this screenshot to a verizoncloud support rep and they claimed it had no effect on my battery, but I know that's a bunch of bull. Because after I disabled it from running in the background, my battery didn't depreciate near as rapidly afterward.

I've set a reminder for myself to run Verizon cloud backup every night at 9pm, but I'm setting it to deep sleep while I'm not using it so that wat it can't run rampant in the background like that. 10 hrs was ridiculous.

That's good that you've found a solution and a plan for action!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze