No more RCS is Samsung Messages?

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Pretty much the title, I can't stand Google messages personally. It has been doing this thing we're it isn't downloading mms. I had to restart the whole *** phone just to get a picture to download.

I decided to just use Samsung messages. There is no option in settings for chat features. Is this because the phone is unlocked and purchased through Samsung?

On my TMobile s21 5g I have RCS in both Samsung and Google messages.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Until Google forces Google messages with RCS as the standard text app on Android phones RCS is useless IMO. Make it the standard package, third party text apps can build off of it such as Textra, Samsung messages.

Right now if you want RCS, both parties have to have Google messages,or Verizon messages, the 2 I know of. Untill it's standard on Android phones no matter what texting app you're using and everyone has it RCS is not going to grow. Treat Google messages like the OS, text apps have to use it and can skin it, add their tweaks and then every phone has RCS.

Then there is this, Google needs to get Google messages working better also. I had issues like this when I was using it also. Messages would not send at times, not get messages. RCS is going to be growing pains for sure. But until Google perfects Google messages, other texting apps can't use it to base their text app off of. Until this happens, iphone leads in texting, messages.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Until Google forces Google messages with RCS as the standard text app on Android phones RCS is useless IMO. Make it the standard package, third party text apps can build off of it such as Textra, Samsung messages.

Right now if you want RCS, both parties have to have Google messages,or Verizon messages, the 2 I know of. Untill it's standard on Android phones no matter what texting app you're using and everyone has it RCS is not going to grow. Treat Google messages like the OS, text apps have to use it and can skin it, add their tweaks and then every phone has RCS.

Then there is this, Google needs to get Google messages working better also. I had issues like this when I was using it also. Messages would not send at times, not get messages. RCS is going to be growing pains for sure. But until Google perfects Google messages, other texting apps can't use it to base their text app off of. Until this happens, iphone leads in texting, messages.

I agree, it seems RCS is pretty much useless as of now. I only have 2 contacts that are actually using it, and one of them is my wife, who wouldn't be using it if I hadn't set it up for her.. and kept it working (it's not too reliable as we all know :-\ ). Pretty disappointing so far. It would be nice to have a truly secure, working, encrypted stock messaging app that came with our Android phones, because with the stock non-RCS messaging apps our text messages are public information :(

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
RCS I think (I hope) is probably doomed for the short term. It's really no different in concept than Apple iMessaging, another "Messaging App" that uses a data protocol as opposed using SMS. With "iPhone SMS Reactions" now built into the Google Messages App, the only thing left for Google to still do to completely kill RCS (for now, short term) is if Google would implement an "SMS Reactions for Android", using the same whatever interpreter they are using for iPhone Reactions. In the longer-term, RCS probably still has a chance once/if all carriers get onboard, for the added security and richness aspects. However, I kind of enjoy the "free unlimited SMS" aspect of my current phone plan, and don't really like that I'd have to now start paying to use against my data limits (and limited bandwidth/throughput) for RCS. What difference is there if we all just move to What'sApp or FBMessenger or Telegram or Signal, for example, as opposed to moving to RCS?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
RCS I think (I hope) is probably doomed for the short term. It's really no different in concept than Apple iMessaging, another "Messaging App" that uses a data protocol as opposed using SMS. With "iPhone SMS Reactions" now built into the Google Messages App, the only thing left for Google to still do to completely kill RCS (for now, short term) is if Google would implement an "SMS Reactions for Android", using the same whatever interpreter they are using for iPhone Reactions. In the longer-term, RCS probably still has a chance once/if all carriers get onboard, for the added security and richness aspects. However, I kind of enjoy the "free unlimited SMS" aspect of my current phone plan, and don't really like that I'd have to now start paying to use against my data limits (and limited bandwidth/throughput) for RCS. What difference is there if we all just move to What'sApp or FBMessenger or Telegram or Signal, for example, as opposed to moving to RCS?
I've found most people don't want to mess with Whatsapp and such, they just use what's on the phone already. Good luck on getting them to download something like Whatsapp

People want one place to send text messages and unrestricted pictures. iMessage does that well, Google should have been working on something similar long time ago

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've found most people don't want to mess with Whatsapp and such, they just use what's on the phone already. Good luck on getting them to download something like Whatsapp

People want one place to send text messages and unrestricted pictures. iMessage does that well, Google should have been working on something similar long time ago
The way I look at it is iMessage does it well for Apple users just like Google does it well for Android users they just need to find a universal way but really no big deal if they don't as the only really big thing you missing between both platforms is read receipts maybe their own emoji but nothing to go crazy about . Most people disable read receipts anyway from what I seen lol.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I think eventually Samsung message app will disappear in favor Google messages

Does the Samsung Messaging app have RCS we have Verizon phones. I did notice when we set up our phones the google messaging app was in my shortcuts at the bottom over Samsung one that was on my previous phone. I didn't set up google though on this phone. I do like having separate sound notifications though for people that stick even when you delete the conversation .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Does the Samsung Messaging app have RCS we have Verizon phones. I did notice when we set up our phones the google messaging app was in my shortcuts at the bottom over Samsung one that was on my previous phone. I didn't set up google though on this phone. I do like having separate sound notifications though for people that stick even when you delete the conversation .
Yeah it should if you on carrier firmware

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Some of all that is why I think SMS, as the only pre-installed default method across iOS/Android, is going to stick around longer than some people hoped (and I am fine with that, even if RCS never takes hold, if Google can also now just implement something for Android SMS reactions). Ironically, FBMessenger is perhaps the next closest to being default across iOS/Android.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Some of all that is why I think SMS, as the only pre-installed default method across iOS/Android, is going to stick around longer than some people hoped (and I am fine with that, even if RCS never takes hold, if Google can also now just implement something for Android SMS reactions). Ironically, FBMessenger is perhaps the next closest to being default across iOS/Android.
Yeah like if Google can get Android reactions they got iphone reactions going but no biggie

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

So what message app comes preloaded on the unlocked S22U... Samsung message or Google. And if Google... You guys saying RCS not included??

I bought the unlocked version since I ordered from Samsung directly this time and thought unlocked might be the way to go but I haven't powered it on yet lol. I been busy but maybe tonight or tomorrow.

But I thought Google Message is not the default preload... I isn't it the default preload on the Flip and Fold?

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site

Oh so where it says show read message and see typing response that's it cause I think I had that on the 21U maybe not always. I know with google messages you can react to a message like on FB Messenger can you do that with Samsung. I don't text alot we mostly use FB Messenger but I want to check into this on Samsung and see I have the typing reply turned on but read messages was off.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So what message app comes preloaded on the unlocked S22U... Samsung message or Google. And if Google... You guys saying RCS not included??

I bought the unlocked version since I ordered from Samsung directly this time and thought unlocked might be the way to go but I haven't powered it on yet lol. I been busy but maybe tonight or tomorrow.

But I thought Google Message is not the default preload... I isn't it the default preload on the Flip and Fold?
It comes preloaded with Google and Samsung message app , unlocked version with Samsung message no RCS only one that had it was Sprint back in the day but they now with TMO so that probably had changed, for fold³ unlock only comes with Samsung message preloaded

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Oh so where it says show read message and see typing response that's it cause I think I had that on the 21U maybe not always. I know with google messages you can react to a message like on FB Messenger can you do that with Samsung. I don't text alot we mostly use FB Messenger but I want to check into this on Samsung and see I have the typing reply turned on but read messages was off.
Then you on carrier version if u see those options

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Unlocked S22U from Samsung. Both Google and Samsung messages app came on the phone. I had to move the bride to Samsung messages a few years ago because of the glitchy nature of the Google offering. I use Samsung because of the categories I have set up for multiple work/company threads. Google doesn't offer that. Even so, I see they still can't ensure that you actually receive a message sent to you until maybe at 2am. Seriously, it's as if Google messages is just an afterthought. I had RCS when I was with AT&T and purchased my phone through them. Big woop. As I said in a different thread a few months ago: Samsung, like Apple, is a known quantity. Google is a crapshoot.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

It's so weird, because that's a uniquely American perspective... Even my mum uses Facebook messenger and WhatsApp.

I can literally count on one hand the number of people I still text with... I've said in other threads about messaging that I don't text people with iPhones... That might look like a joke to American users, but it's actually true. We just use other platforms.

But I'm still not happy lol I want everyone to use signal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy