Bye Bye S22 Ultra

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah just keep clean like any other phone and be no issues, I've open lot of times over course bof the day not sure number count but no issues there also , I use to use it like tablet but now I'm using it as a phone and tablet and love it , I've said it few times in the Forum it's my favorite device, once they make it with built in Spen that's all I'll be getting in the future.

I would be interested in a Fold if it had a built-in S Pen. I wouldn't consider one now, only because I don't want to get a huge case to keep Fold and S Pen together or put the S Pen loose in my pocket.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
If you don't like the battery life on the S22 Ultra, there's no way you're going to like the battery life on the Z Fold 4. The S22 Ultra and Z Fold 3 had similar battery life (Z Fold 3 was actually slightly worse). But with the Z Fold 4 having the same battery size as the Z Fold 3, the battery life improvements for this year will be negligible.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
S22 Ultra currently, got on AT&T trade in deal $1000 when I got it. Have $900~ left to pay for it through their monthly installments. But we are moving this week to a new city with bad coverage with ATT at the new house. I may have to switch to Tmobile or Verizon and would need to do their deal for moving over or trading it in. They said the S22 I have will not work on their network. But the 3 other phones (iPhones) will. I didn't want to buy the Fold 4 now and get stuck in a situation switching that might hurt me. I'd have to pay the discounted price of around $800-900 for it with trade in, and pay off the $900 with ATT.....just didn't make financial sense.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
S22 Ultra currently, got on AT&T trade in deal $1000 when I got it. Have $900~ left to pay for it through their monthly installments. But we are moving this week to a new city with bad coverage with ATT at the new house. I may have to switch to Tmobile or Verizon and would need to do their deal for moving over or trading it in. They said the S22 I have will not work on their network. But the 3 other phones (iPhones) will. I didn't want to buy the Fold 4 now and get stuck in a situation switching that might hurt me. I'd have to pay the discounted price of around $800-900 for it with trade in, and pay off the $900 with ATT.....just didn't make financial sense.
Will AT&T let you unlock your phone after paid it in full?

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
If you don't like the battery life on the S22 Ultra, there's no way you're going to like the battery life on the Z Fold 4. The S22 Ultra and Z Fold 3 had similar battery life (Z Fold 3 was actually slightly worse). But with the Z Fold 4 having the same battery size as the Z Fold 3, the battery life improvements for this year will be negligible.

TechDroider just posted his battery test and wow, the ZF4 actually did beat the S22U and also kept cooler as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSvxpzlRplg

It looks like maybe the new SD8+ Gen 1 may be making a real world difference - but then again, this test may or may not be representative of the real world.

This actually makes me think what the S23U could be like with the new chipset and its 5000mah battery. We're only 6 months away. LMAO

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
New chip looks promising. Article seems to criticize Samsungs 4nm manufacturing of the Qualcomm processor for it's performance and noting how Taiwan's TSMC's process is superior. Probably some truth to it since Qualcomm has taken manufacturing away and given it to TSMC. 13 Pro Max still the monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSvxpzlRplg&t=453s

Last edited:

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
TechDroider just posted his battery test and wow, the ZF4 actually did beat the S22U and also kept cooler as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSvxpzlRplg

It looks like maybe the new SD8+ Gen 1 may be making a real world difference - but then again, this test may or may not be representative of the real world.

This actually makes me think what the S23U could be like with the new chipset and its 5000mah battery. We're only 6 months away. LMAO

A little better. The S22U died at 8:58 and the Z Fold 4 died at 9:18 - 20 minutes difference.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
Definitely sounds like a stupid REP. I will talk to them again and see where I get once we get moved to SE San Antonio. Thank you both.

nathasnajperowa

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Just preordered the Fold 4. The Ultra was easily the worst Galaxy phone I've had and I've had all of them since OG. Despite all the tips and tricks in these threads, my battery life has been terrible from jump. Can barely make it thru a day and I'm on WiFi most of the time. Signal strength, despite Samsung's claims to the contrary, is so bad it reminds me of the early days of cell phones in the 90s. Random reboots and the unusable screen in bright sunlight to top it off. Things have been so bad I even tried a 13 Pro Max for 30 days but couldn't handle iOS.

Hoping the new generation of chip on the Fold 4 will restore my faith in Samsung.
You had snapdragon or exynos version?

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Not true Att and TMobile are both GSM and compatible Carrier unlocked, carrier version , Samsung unlocked version
last year, I moved from AT&T to TMO with a phone unlocked by the carrier (AT&T). couldn't get any more security updates on my S10+. long story short, while my phone was unlocked, it still had AT&T firmware. perhaps this is what the TMO rep was thinking about when he clumsily spoke?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
last year, I moved from AT&T to TMO with a phone unlocked by the carrier (AT&T). couldn't get any more security updates on my S10+. long story short, while my phone was unlocked, it still had AT&T firmware. perhaps this is what the TMO rep was thinking about when he clumsily spoke?
Yeah not supposed to have Att branded once you put a TMobile sim , when you put another carrier sim while it's network unlock it gives you a message phone will reboot to configure carrier settings, Att version were problematic for lot a users for software updates, I had to get lot of them to odin with TMobile firmware, but even if it didn't change you still have Att stuff and pop TMO sim it will work that for sure . I always tell Att folks flash to unlock firmware and never have issues and no carrier branding

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Yeah not supposed to have Att branded once you put a TMobile sim , when you put another carrier sim while it's network unlock it gives you a message phone will reboot to configure carrier settings, Att version were problematic for lot a users for software updates, I had to get lot of them to odin with TMobile firmware, but even if it didn't change you still have Att stuff and pop TMO sim it will work that for sure . I always tell Att folks flash to unlock firmware and never have issues and no carrier branding
yep. can attest. in my case, I took advantage of a nice trade-in and got the S21U direct from Samsung. will always be unlocked for me, from here on out.

question: I've heard that unlocked phones don't work as well on AT&T, vs. carrier-branded. is this accurate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy