Apple announcement

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I know people tend to bring up this topic every year (not really me) because I could careless, but I will give it to them this year. They impressed me with something that is ultra small, but really clever. I'm talking about the dynamic island. I was shocked when I saw the 14 pro trailer. Not only did they make the hole cut out appealing on the iPhone they also made it functional. Just curious what you guys think. I'm over here a little jealous of the feature wishing that someone develops a 3rd party app for it on Android. Apple really surprised me with that and I'm hardly ever surprised by Apple lol. Curious what you guys think? 20220907_131235.jpg20220907_131250.jpg

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Unless I'm missing something it wastes more screen space than what Samsung and others do by hiding the camera in the notification panel.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Unless I'm missing something it wastes more screen space than what Samsung and others do by hiding the camera in the notification panel.
Yes that's correct. I just like that they've made it more useful. At the end of the day it's still an iPhone so I know I will get bored quick lol. Just thought it was a cool and clever way to make use of the camera cut out and it is 1,000 times better than the awful notch it replaces.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
No impressed at all just left the 13 pro for the S22 ultra and not looking back.
It's been years since any phone "impressed" iPhone or Android. Well a couple things.. the iPhone 13 Pro Max have legendary battery that no Android phone has come close too and the s22u 50x zoom is pretty impressive. Other than that ..meh!!

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Yes that's correct. I just like that they've made it more useful. At the end of the day it's still an iPhone so I know I will get bored quick lol. Just thought it was a cool and clever way to make use of the camera cut out and it is 1,000 times better than the awful notch it replaces.

I absolutely agree it's better than the notch.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
The Apple Watch Ultra was my favorite part of the presentation. If Samsung or Google thought they were catching up in the Watches... Apple just set the bar higher.

My S22U is my primary but my Xr is my running/outdoor phone and pretty much stays in my daily backpack with me... I might just get the Apple Watch Ultra... S22 ULTRA paired with an Apple Watch ULTRA LOL.

In the past I wouldn't think of using an Apple Watch as my running watch and always used a Garmin but with the specs and capabilities, I don't see an issue now. My Co-worker watching the presentation with me is a diver and his primary is an iPhone but he's ready to pre-order the Ultra first day saying it sounds like it will be a fine dive computer.

iPhone presentation was ok. I've been using iOS 16 beta so been enjoying some of the new features like the AOD/lock screen. Good use of the revised notch/pill. Stuff like keeping sports scores and using it to expand other apps like music, etc.

2000 nit screen!! I believe it surpasses our S22U screen capabilities!

Satellite emergency calling, etc... 20 zoom camera that will keep me on my S22U and possibly S23U but they did have improvement that no doubt picture/video quality will be again bumped up a notch. Little things but they add up keeping the iPhone a monster in it's class.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The Apple Watch Ultra was my favorite part of the presentation. If Samsung or Google thought they were catching up in the Watches... Apple just set the bar higher.

My S22U is my primary but my Xr is my running/outdoor phone and pretty much stays in my daily backpack with me... I might just get the Apple Watch Ultra... S22 ULTRA paired with an Apple Watch ULTRA LOL.

In the past I wouldn't think of using an Apple Watch as my running watch and always used a Garmin but with the specs and capabilities, I don't see an issue now. My Co-worker watching the presentation with me is a diver and his primary is an iPhone but he's ready to pre-order the Ultra first day saying it sounds like it will be a fine dive computer.

iPhone presentation was ok. I've been using iOS 16 beta so been enjoying some of the new features like the AOD/lock screen. Good use of the revised notch/pill. Stuff like keeping sports scores and using it to expand other apps like music, etc.

2000 nit screen!! I believe it surpasses our S22U screen capabilities!

Satellite emergency calling, etc... 20 zoom camera that will keep me on my S22U and possibly S23U but they did have improvement that no doubt picture/video quality will be again bumped up a notch. Little things but they add up keeping the iPhone a monster in it's class.
S22u 1,750 Nits then extra toggle for more brightness under adaptive brightness

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Last edited:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
S22u 1,750 Nits then extra toggle for more brightness under adaptive brightness

The interesting thing when doing a little Googling seems as though max nit of 1700 is only obtainable with Adaptive Brightness on and only under direct sunlight will the phone basically raise the brightness to Super Saiyan brightness.

"Extra brightness" it seems will just give you that bump over max brightness... with Adaptive Brightness turned off though which is lower than the max that Adaptive Brightness can give you. But it's a constant max level.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s22_ultra-review-2382p3.php

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-s22-ultra

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm also interested in the iWatch Ultra (Samsung should have gone with Ultra instead of Pro). Specifically I'm interested in the reaction to it compared to the Watch 5 Pro... The main complaints about the 5 Pro are that:

It is too big.

It is too heavy.

It is too expensive.

The ridge around the screen.

Considering the iWatch Ultra is bigger, heavier, twice as expensive and has the same bezel ridge, I'm curious to see if it is slammed in the same way or if those things are now considered genius design features that we've been waiting on for years...

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Depends on application... too big, heavy and expensive for a smartwatch compared to others in it's class doing the same thing? Is the Watch 5 Pro in the same class?

Or too big, heavy and expensive for a watch that's overbuilt designed to handle salt water environments and used as a dive computer for depth as deep as 150 feet and extended amount of time in that environment. Or to be better suited for other outdoor activities.

I think the Ultra is in a different class than the Watch 5 Pro. Probably closer to sport smartwatches like the Garmin Fenix series.. but with better smartwatch capabilities.

Honestly, I think the Watch 5 Pro would probably compare better with the Apple Watch 8.

I'm also interested in the iWatch Ultra (Samsung should have gone with Ultra instead of Pro). Specifically I'm interested in the reaction to it compared to the Watch 5 Pro... The main complaints about the 5 Pro are that:

It is too big.

It is too heavy.

It is too expensive.

Considering the iWatch Ultra is bigger, heavier, twice as expensive and has the same bezel ridge, I'm curious to see if it is slammed in the same way or if those things are now considered genius design features that we've been waiting on for years...

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I like it , might trade the 13pro in for it
T-mobile's trade-in deals are crazy good. I'm not even an iPhone person but I'm thinking of trading in my pixel 6 pro or some of my old galaxy s phones. I can use it for work or sell it for a higher profit than the traded in phone.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

It is too big.

It is too heavy.

It is too expensive.

That's surprising. It's definitely thick, but I find it to be quiet light especially considering how thick it is. There are times when I forget it's on my wrist. Also it's priced lower than any S series Apple watch and that includes the 41mm option.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Depends on application... too big, heavy and expensive for a smartwatch compared to others in it's class doing the same thing? Is the Watch 5 Pro in the same class?

Or too big, heavy and expensive for a watch that's overbuilt designed to handle salt water environments and used as a dive computer for depth as deep as 150 feet and extended amount of time in that environment. Or to be better suited for other outdoor activities.

I think the Ultra is in a different class than the Watch 5 Pro. Probably closer to sport smartwatches like the Garmin Fenix series.. but with better smartwatch capabilities.

Honestly, I think the Watch 5 Pro would probably compare better with the Apple Watch 8.

They are mostly made of the same materials and marketed at the same people. I don't see the Apple watch ultra surviving exposure to salt water any better than the Watch 5 pro without the same level of aftercare

Maybe everything they say is true... Time will tell but don't blindly fall for apples marketing hype

But also, I'm not even saying the iWatch won't justify its price... I'm just pointing out the fact that many reviewers and other people are quite hypocritical when it comes to their criticism of Apple. And let's be honest the majority of people buying this watch are not going to take it on 100m dives they're going to take it to an office and will buy it just because it's the most expensive watch..

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Apple: Yo, we heard you, you don't like notches. So instead of a notch, we're giving you this floating island that not only further intrudes into your screen space, but also makes a slice of otherwise visible screen space completely useless! You're welcome.

(And they would likely say that with no sarcasm at all)

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That's surprising. It's definitely thick, but I find it to be quiet light especially considering how thick it is. There are times when I forget it's on my wrist. Also it's priced lower than any S series Apple watch and that includes the 41mm option.

Bearr in mind these aren't my complaints, they're general complaints I've seen from reviewers and such. I don't find it heavy either especially coming from a watch 4 classic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca