Apple announcement

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Yes that's correct. I just like that they've made it more useful. At the end of the day it's still an iPhone so I know I will get bored quick lol. Just thought it was a cool and clever way to make use of the camera cut out and it is 1,000 times better than the awful notch it replaces.

I must say it almost tempted me. But I won’t spend that much on an iPHone and I have a newly acquired secondhand iPhone 11 which works with my AirTags and Apple Watch. But it is quite cool.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
One thing that I'm not liking on these new iPhones are everything is esim.. no more physical SIM which can be a bummer when you're switching phones and when you want to buy a local SIM if you're traveling not to mention there are a lot of carriers in the US which currently don't support esim

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I too think it is a very clever innovation -- but does that bar stay like that all the time and change depending on if you're getting a call or whatnot?
It changes depending on the notification or action being display so it can be big or small. The only thing that's constant and can't be changed obviously is the cutouts for the camera sensors. That's why they implemented the dynamic island as a way to distract from the pill cut out always seeming like an eye sore which to me is much more tolerable than the none functional notch.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I must say it almost tempted me. But I won’t spend that much on an iPHone and I have a newly acquired secondhand iPhone 11 which works with my AirTags and Apple Watch. But it is quite cool.
Yes I'm only considering it due to the trade-in promo going on with T-Mobile. I can essentially get the 14 pro 256gb for 100 dollars after trade plus taxes of course. The way I see it is trading out an older the device that will have higher value in the future plus the option to try out the features that some say are a gimmick. I carry 2 to 3 devices regularly so I can put an iPhone in the fold to switch things up with my none daily drivers. Never thought I'd say that, but they're practically giving them away with these pre orders

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
One thing that I'm not liking on these new iPhones are everything is esim.. no more physical SIM which can be a bummer when you're switching phones and when you want to buy a local SIM if you're traveling not to mention there are a lot of carriers in the US which currently don't support esim
Yes the e-sim what's the most disappointing part about the announcement. Reminds me of CDMA days where you would have to contact your provider in order to switch devices. Very stone age if you ask me lol. The benefit for me is that it won't be my daily driver so the number that I assigned to it will stay on that device with no issues. Really hoping the e-sim feature doesn't catch on in the Android world because that would really be a downer for those of us that like to switch up our devices based on how we feel for the day or moment.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes the e-sim what's the most disappointing part about the announcement. Reminds me of CDMA days where you would have to contact your provider in order to switch devices. Very stone age if you ask me lol. The benefit for me is that it won't be my daily driver so the number that I assigned to it will stay on that device with no issues. Really hoping the e-sim feature doesn't catch on in the Android world because that would really be a downer for those of us that like to switch up our devices based on how we feel for the day or moment.
Apple does it most likely Android will follow:(

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Yes I'm thinking this is going to be the new way going around including Android.. it does make sense and I think it will be better for all of us overall but I just feel the timing needs a little more time for everything to get in place properly and hopefully the activations and swapping phones it's made easier I know some people that work in sales and have told me that it's been a headache with activations but hopefully things will change

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I believe it's just a software gimmick of apple for justifying the pill notch...
We have similar pop ups in android since years...we have true multi tasking..
We have spilt screen which more useful
Iam very happy with My S22 ultra and Fold 4
I find animation on fold 4 way smoother than S22 ultra

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I believe it's just a software gimmick of apple for justifying the pill notch...
We have similar pop ups in android since years...we have true multi tasking..
We have spilt screen which more useful
Iam very happy with My S22 ultra and Fold 4
I find animation on fold 4 way smoother than S22 ultra
Of course it's just used to be a distraction from the cut out which is smart. We do have a better notification system, but I will say this idea is very smart in the sense that it puts important things at the top. It's very convenient to have a stop watch at the top of your phone when working out. I will also say that have a smart watch makes it not necessary. That's the same way I feel about aod. My watch makes it useless, but I do like that Apple allows you to display your wallpaper in full color. Not things that are needed but again if we only bought or use things we need then we wouldn't have a forum like this lol

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
To me the island looks like a more interactive status bar at top. Samsung doesn't need a pill to do the same thing... just make all the status object on top more interactive by letting you touch... let an app dev the abilty to use that space, instead of making us pull down before being able to do more.

The thing is, looking at the example of being able to put Spotify in the island to show music playing or another app to show sports scores, Apple is giving developers access to the island or status bar or whatever you want to call it and the developers are going to jump at using it to make their app more attractive and useful that it's just gonna be a better product on iOS.

Google is going to have to modify and allow access to developers to have more access to the status bar and don't know if that is an easy task... the use of high res images and animation and movement in the island... did you see the demo with their Apple Earbuds in high res and animated in the island??

I don't know if many here play with iOS but their recent use of widgets that we here with Android have been use to... any iOS users notice how the widgets available and that the third party apps make available... are just so much more cleaner looking, more options or features available to make them more useful... FlipBoard and Netflix are two examples if you compare the iOS widget to Android widget... the Android widgets are a joke. And seems like you can find more developers have made widgets avail for iOS then their Android counterpart. You can't blame the developers entirely for making or not making widgets... Google has to take part of it for not maturing it.

That's what makes features like the island much more attractive to look at and use... you have more ways to use that feature.

Of course it's just used to be a distraction from the cut out which is smart. We do have a better notification system, but I will say this idea is very smart in the sense that it puts important things at the top. It's very convenient to have a stop watch at the top of your phone when working out. I will also say that have a smart watch makes it not necessary. That's the same way I feel about aod. My watch makes it useless, but I do like that Apple allows you to display your wallpaper in full color. Not things that are needed but again if we only bought or use things we need then we wouldn't have a forum like this lol

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
For now... ;)

I'm hoping that there will be a 3rd party app like dragy that will make use to the hardware to measure 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs with it. :eek:
I like watches but problem is work i can damage them or jewelry so i go most of the day without them and to put on afterwards im like nah lol

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Nice ... Which color did you go?

I went with purple for Max and black for normal pro

Not super sold on any of the colors to be honest
I wanted the blue but not for pro nax so went with black .

My current 13 pro is silver so thats being traded in

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Nice ... Which color did you go?

I went with purple for Max and black for normal pro

Not super sold on any of the colors to be honest
Yea the colors are kind of typical although I like that the purple is a color shift. Going to pick that one, but I wish I could see it in person before choosing. Glad to see them with an exclusive color that they haven't done before on the pro models though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital