Anyone ditching android for the Iphone 14 pro max with Dynamic Island

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I very rarely buy iphones. But yeah I ordered the iPhone 14 pro max. Just thought it was time to change things up a bit. Will likely get the regular Pixel 7 as well though. Best thing about iPhones is the sustained resell value.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Even though I have an iPhone 13 for my work phone, I still would not consider an iPhone for my personal device based on the iPhone 14 hardware specs, dynamic island or its version of AOD.

The S22U can still do tons more at a speed that's more than good enough for me.

The dynamic island gives nothing new in terms of utility for Android users (except eye candy--or an eye sore, depending on your perspective.) You can get the same info with the same number of taps on Android.

Lastly, the AOD on Apple is a little self-defeating, if you ask me. I DON'T want my AOD to display everything from my lockscreen. I want my AOD to give me some privacy from prying eyes as well as give me a break from the stream of notifications that might distract me or disturb my sleep/rest. I also like the way I can customize the AOD in a plethora of different combinations.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I joined Samsung with the Note 5. At this point, I am comfortably ensconced in the Samsung/Microsoft "ecosystem" and couldn't imagine moving over to the dark side. However, I try not to cut off my nose and spite my face. If I had to make the switch, I'd make it work. Since I don't, I won't. If I ever do, I will.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I joined Samsung with the Note 5. At this point, I am comfortably ensconced in the Samsung/Microsoft "ecosystem" and couldn't imagine moving over to the dark side. However, I try not to cut off my nose and spite my face. If I had to make the switch, I'd make it work. Since I don't, I won't. If I ever do, I will.
Likewise, I am entrenched in the Windows ecosystem and just got a new gaming PC. I would never use a Mac. I'd use am iPhone if required for work. The only Apple product that appeals to me is the iPad Mini, since nobody else makes a good small tablet.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The dynamic island is not a good reason to leave Android, IMO.

Exponentially better battery life (typically), iMessage, typically more polished apps, Carplay typically working better than Android Auto…those things might push an Android lover over to iOS. Maybe. Perhaps. Depending….

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
The dynamic island is not a good reason to leave Android, IMO.

Exponentially better battery life (typically), iMessage, typically more polished apps, Carplay typically working better than Android Auto…those things might push an Android lover over to iOS. Maybe. Perhaps. Depending….
or not

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I would have ordered the 14 Pro Max if did already have the 13 PM 1TB version.
I carry both the iPhone 13 Pro Max and S22 Ultra but find myself using the iPhone most of them time.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Idk if I'd consider that dynamic island inspired. Android has been showing notifications like that. Reminds me of Samsungs edge lighting. All Apple did was take the notifications from Android and make them into a function action. Playing with the feature on iPhone it does exactly what I thought it would distract from the whole punch cut out of the phone.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused because it seems to me that Android has already had this feature for years in their pop-up notification alerts and being able to place apps in a pop-up window (which I use all the time). And with our apps placed in pop-up view, we can place it anywhere we want to on the screen. Doesn't seem like that is possible on the iPhone (but I have no idea). I don't like pop-up notification alerts because they drive me bananas and they get in my way when I'm doing something on an app. It seems like iPhones dynamic island notifications would eventually drive people bananas also. Although not having an iPhone, I may be missing something here.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused because it seems to me that Android has already had this feature for years in their pop-up notification alerts and being able to place apps in a pop-up window (which I use all the time). And with our apps placed in pop-up view, we can place it anywhere we want to on the screen. Doesn't seem like that is possible on the iPhone (but I have no idea). I don't like pop-up notification alerts because they drive me bananas and they get in my way when I'm doing something on an app. It seems like iPhones dynamic island notifications would eventually drive people bananas also. Although not having an iPhone, I may be missing something here.
Correct although the pop up apps is a native feature to Samsung and not Android specifically. Like you said you can pin to window any apps you find useful and minimize them to a bubble which makes it very useful to use multiple apps continously. Using the dynamic island is a fun little novelty that I think will wear off quick (only been a day so have to see). I got the iPhone knowing it would be a little boring, but since I switch phones so much through the year I was like why not. As I type this on the S22 Ultra it further cements that I'm just not an iPhone fan. Unless I'm missing something the AOD is a joke. Also while I love somethings they have done with the lockscreen it's still restrictive iOS. I have this photo of me and my grandmother that passed last year which I love as a wallpaper and there's no way to move the big *** clock from covering my entire face. Like why can't I move the time and date to the middle of the screen so I can actually see the wallpaper I chose? Also really dislike their going back feature (which I knew they didn't have a back button feature) , but I thought adapting gestures would change that. I love being able to swipe from the right to go back and you can't do that on an iPhone. I'll give it some time and watch some videos, but yea really disappointed with my purchase so far which I have expected lol. Thankfully there's a such thing as remorse return. Going to give it about a week and make my decision.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Tbh I tested it at Best buy yesterday seems to be okay but nothing that I would upgrade by 12 Pro.. it does seem to be useful where you can just tap on there in and out seem to work seamlessly.. and really you don't even need to use it if you don't wish as that's where the pills going to be anyway on the phone..

Here's a few pics with the 14 Pro versus my 12 Pro camera is really only the difference.. and the ProMax purple.. I went looking for the ultra watch but they were not in stock yet on display
887ed09f75f9ed195bb953d3687aa349.jpg
fa34de34b34a5b8a59104a984b30992e.jpg
85cf28d9e3c80070b6532cb7b68a682c.jpg
95e1c11a500911d40ace7a1acff47645.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It is apple way of navigating with the notch , I don't know how well it's implemented but does look cool , I'm not a fan of pop ups myself. I can see Android doing this somehow but as of right now I can't comment how good this will be yet on the iPhone but we know how limited they are compared to Android like you still can't grid your home screen the way you want and app library I wish can turn off .