Upload speeds

night66owl

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I live out in the sticks and don't get a strong signal. I initially contacted Verizon about people complaining about me breaking up during calls. The agent said if I upgraded my line from 5g start to 5g play more plan I would get a stronger signal. I did yesterday and it went from 1 bar to 2. My phone is usually on 4g but sometimes switches to 5g. My download speeds are ok but upload speeds are almost nothing. I'm usually on wifi at home and speeds are OK, but when I turn wifi off upload is terrible.
It looks like my ISP is running fiber optics down my road in the future so if I stay on wifi I'll be OK.
Just wondering what is going on with my upload speeds and does Verizon offer some kind of home signal booster.
Attached is a screenshot of speed tests.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220928-083341_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20220928-083341_Speedtest.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 50

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm a Verizon customer too and worked for them a few years back, to my knowledge they don't sell signal boosters but there are a few companies that make them. We had customers that lived rural that bought them elsewhere and said they work well.

They work by placing a larger antenna on the home and running a cable into a broadcasting device inside amplifying the strength of the signal.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I am on Verizon and don't live in the sticks. We had great service when on Verizon 4G LTE. But once they switched to 5G the service at our house got really bad and we noticed that the downloads were around 15-20mbps which was ok but upload was anywhere from 0.10-1mbps and it was causing a lot of issues with sending and receiving picture messages. We eventually got an LTE extender from Verizon. But I am convinced that their network is MUCH WORSE since the switch to 5G at least in our area.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I am on Verizon and don't live in the sticks. We had great service when on Verizon 4G LTE. But once they switched to 5G the service at our house got really bad and we noticed that the downloads were around 15-20mbps which was ok but upload was anywhere from 0.10-1mbps and it was causing a lot of issues with sending and receiving picture messages. We eventually got an LTE extender from Verizon. But I am convinced that their network is MUCH WORSE since the switch to 5G at least in our area.

It is :(

night66owl

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site

With my old 4g phone there were spots around where I wouldn’t make or answer a call when driving because I know the call would be breaking up. Between my house and the small town south of me was ok Until I got to the town and signal was lost for a couple miles. Now with the new 5g phone I barely get a signal at home and nothing between my house and the town south.
Stopped at the Verizon store today, they replaced the SIM card and told me the signal was weak all over until they get towers upgraded to 5g. As long as I stay on Wi-Fi I’m ok, except Wi-Fi calling messes up sometimes because isp speed isn’t that great at times. Hopefully fiber optic will be here soon.

pearljam77

Sep 30, 2022
Visit site
I went from AT&T to Verizon and it's been a great decision way better speeds

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220930_142253.jpg
    Screenshot_20220930_142253.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 27

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Have you tried resetting your network settings? Also look into your apps to restrict background usage. And things that use background data like auto sync.

night66owl

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
Have you tried resetting your network settings? Also look into your apps to restrict background usage. And things that use background data like auto sync.
Yes, it is just the area where I live. It has gotten worse the past few months and since I upgraded to a 5g phone it seems to be worse.

night66owl

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
You can turn 5g off if its worse when it switches.
It is the same with both. I think I'm going to have to live with it until they get their towers upgraded and service extended. I've never had problems up until a few months ago. It just depends on where I am, if I have a good signal speeds are great but out here in the sticks signal is weak.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It is the same with both. I think I'm going to have to live with it until they get their towers upgraded and service extended. I've never had problems up until a few months ago. It just depends on where I am, if I have a good signal speeds are great but out here in the sticks signal is weak.

Have you asked Verizon about a signal booster for your home? Since they've already admitted it's their fault for the weak signal, you might be able to get one for free.. although you might anyway, I'm not sure what Verizon's policies are.

night66owl

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
Have you asked Verizon about a signal booster for your home? Since they've already admitted it's their fault for the weak signal, you might be able to get one for free.. although you might anyway, I'm not sure what Verizon's policies are.

I just spent a hour chatting with Verizon. They said I need cable internet that their booster hooks up to. I don’t have cable internet. I have a small dish that points to a tower a few miles away. I’m going to try Wi-Fi calling again. My speeds are not that great and sometimes that doesn’t work. When I get fiber optics their booster will work with that. But then Wi-Fi calling should work well. I don’t understand why their booster needs a internet connection?
They said I could buy a universal signal booster. But I’m done spending more money on cell stuff.
I give up for now. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital