Samsung Data Breach and moving forward.......

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
I have the s22u and I love this phone and I generally enjoy what Samsung is doing as a phone company as well. They have a solid design and solid software.

I just don't know if I really trust them all that much anymore as a company. I know you shouldn't really put trust in these big companies. At the end of the day all that matters to them is profits.

My bank account compromised and it was directly related to Samsung. The only account that I had my bank card linked to was my Samsung account for premium care. Everything else is linked to PayPal. I have 2fa on everything as well, which is why it could only be the data breach.

What I am having trouble with is not wanting to support them anymore. At the sametime they make such great devices that really fit into my life and what I want out of a device.

I plan on ordering the pixel 7 but I have tried the 5 and the 6pro and returned them because of samsungs features.

Just wonder if anyone else finds themselves in those boat after the data breach.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry this happened to you. That's why I use credit cards, not debit cards, for any online transactions or even in-store purchases. If there are issues with either data breaches or products purchased but never received (such as if a company goes out of business before delivering furniture, etc.), there are few protections for consumers who pay via debit card or check. However, there are strong protections for customers who pay using credit cards.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm by no means a Samsung fan, but I wouldn't let one data breach turn me away. If that is your standard, you may as well switch to cash and move off the grid, because data breaches are almost a way of life these days. Company, and even government computers are under a constant onslaught from around the world, so it's mostly only a matter of time before an attack is successful.

If Samsung has shown a history of data breaches that indicate a chronic lack of security, then yes it would cause me to leave them if I were a customer.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
I'm sorry this happened to you. That's why I use credit cards, not debit cards, for any online transactions or even in-store purchases. If there are issues with either data breaches or products purchased but never received (such as if a company goes out of business before delivering furniture, etc.), there are few protections for consumers who pay via debit card or check. However, there are strong protections for customers who pay using credit cards.
I got lucky in the fact that my bank is on top of thier stuff. I didn't suffer any lose and just had to get a new card. The one time I have my card on an online account it gets compromised.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
I'm by no means a Samsung fan, but I wouldn't let one data breach turn me away. If that is your standard, you may as well switch to cash and move off the grid, because data breaches are almost a way of life these days. Company, and even government computers are under a constant onslaught from around the world, so it's mostly only a matter of time before an attack is successful.

If Samsung has shown a history of data breaches that indicate a chronic lack of security, then yes it would cause me to leave them if I were a customer.
Very good point that data breaches are just a thing which is sad. From such a big player that totes how good thier Knox security is. One would think they would be way more vigilant with thier standards if security with in the company. I highly doubt that will be a thing to happen again to them.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Google itself has had numerous data breaches over the years, Apple has, Microsoft has, most any large corporation with data worth stealing has been a victim.

This has zero impact on my decision to use Samsung.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I have the s22u and I love this phone and I generally enjoy what Samsung is doing as a phone company as well. They have a solid design and solid software.

I just don't know if I really trust them all that much anymore as a company. I know you shouldn't really put trust in these big companies. At the end of the day all that matters to them is profits.

My bank account compromised and it was directly related to Samsung. The only account that I had my bank card linked to was my Samsung account for premium care. Everything else is linked to PayPal. I have 2fa on everything as well, which is why it could only be the data breach.

What I am having trouble with is not wanting to support them anymore. At the sametime they make such great devices that really fit into my life and what I want out of a device.

I plan on ordering the pixel 7 but I have tried the 5 and the 6pro and returned them because of samsungs features.

Just wonder if anyone else finds themselves in those boat after the data breach.

I've never connected my credit cards or bank cards to my phone and never will... too risky. The thrill of using my phone or watch to pay for something isn't worth the risk. Sometimes tech can go too far :-\

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Try to bear in mind that this was done TO Samsung, not BY Samsung.

It basically comes down to what Mooncat said... Unfortunately, if you only want to deal with companies that are immune to data breaches that means you can only deal with companies that hold no data.

What Samsung, and every other company, should be judged by is how seriously they take data security and how seriously they treat a breach.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Very good point that data breaches are just a thing which is sad. From such a big player that totes how good thier Knox security is. One would think they would be way more vigilant with thier standards if security with in the company. I highly doubt that will be a thing to happen again to them.

Samsung has already had 2 this year, just months apart. Not the best way to instill faith in your users, unless you're following the T-Mobile strategy lol.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
It not so much the manufacturer but the scum bags that doing the stealing. This Will and is the norm for today we will see this type of theft daily.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
It not so much the manufacturer but the scum bags that doing the stealing. This Will and is the norm for today we will see this type of theft daily.

Yup, even stores get targeted and credit card information stolen from their purchase history. All it takes is shopping at a store with a debit/credit card instead of cash and your data could potentially get stolen by a hacker. Stores need to keep purchase history for the purpose of refunds/warranties/etc and that data has been stolen from numerous retailers over the years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463