I bought an S22 Ultra from eBay. I’m curious to know from the box of it’s real or fake

thesukh03

Jan 27, 2023
Visit site
Hey guys I recently bought a S22 Ultra from eBay. The box looks worn and scratched, but the seller seems to have a good review score and advertised this as sealed and unopened.

I am still curious based on the pictures if it’s real or fake.

Attachments

• 6E21AF6A-460C-40BC-8566-9EFC919D3A2E.jpg
    6E21AF6A-460C-40BC-8566-9EFC919D3A2E.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try using some of the apps that YouTuber SMOOREZ uses to determine the real specs of a phone:

Device Info HW
CPU-Z

There's another one he uses that is no longer on the Play Store, so you'd have to sideload the apk: https://apkpure.com/cpu-hardware-and-system-info/com.ssaurel.cpuhardwareinfos

Knockoff manufacturers can do a lot of things to make the phone lie about its specs, even to apps like these, so it's helpful to use more than one to make sure the specs are all in agreement.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
CPU-Z is sadly basically dead. it will tell you some information but it does not get updated with any new hardware.

Yeah, it's usually not the most reliable one that SMOOREZ uses, but I think he keeps it in the rotation just to broaden the selection, and maybe to show that even these kinds of apps can still be fooled.

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys I recently bought a S22 Ultra from eBay. The box looks worn and scratched, but the seller seems to have a good review score and advertised this as sealed and unopened.

I am still curious based on the pictures if it’s real or fake.

if you only paid a fraction of the costs, then that alone would be an indication of a fake phone, no?? that said, how much did you pay for the phone?

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Clones / fakes are really close to the real McCoy nowadays and you can then only really tell from using the phone to see if it's a real one.

The boxes , seals and even the plastic in-transit wrapping can be very closely copied too.

A Samsung Experience Store can assess the phone.

Maybe Samsung Online Support can help remotely too.

My preference is to buy direct from Samsung so I know what I'm getting. OK the price might be higher but I prefer peace of mind.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Clones / fakes are really close to the real McCoy nowadays and you can then only really tell from using the phone to see if it's a real one.

The boxes , seals and even the plastic in-transit wrapping can be very closely copied too.

A Samsung Experience Store can assess the phone.

Maybe Samsung Online Support can help remotely too.

My preference is to buy direct from Samsung so I know what I'm getting. OK the price might be higher but I prefer peace of mind.

I'm similar, I only buy new phones anymore for peace of mind and to skip the hassles of used, and all the scamming that goes with it :-\

But I'm also a sales hound that never pays full price for anything :p

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm similar, I only buy new phones anymore for peace of mind and to skip the hassles of used, and all the scamming that goes with it :-\

But I'm also a sales hound that never pays full price for anything :p
Same. I also trade in phones now mainly so I don't have to sell it online and deal with the possible scams.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
can they even put a real/legit IMEI in a fake phone? if not, is there a way to even verify if the IMEI legit?
SMOOREZ is always showing the IMEI of the knockoffs that he tests, and asks the viewers if we can figure out which phones they were pinched from. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that if someone tries to activate these phones and the IMEI is already in use, they'll run into an error -- or, if they're able to activate the phone because that IMEI hadn't been in use, and then the legit phone with that IMEI tries to get activated, the legit phone will have problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs