S23 ultra

GrumpyMomofMacR

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
So, it looks pretty dead here. I guess not many people are going for the s23 Ultra and are keeping what they have.

I like my s22 Ultra a lot but some camera improvements would be welcome. At first I thought I'd need more power efficiency but over time I realize I do okay.

I'm planning on getting the s23 Ultra. I'm just trying to pick a color. Unlike most people, I like all the leaked colors well enough. Pink is probably my favorite but it's the color that least matches my clothes and accessories so I'm trying to think about how important that is to me. I use clear cases often but I also like Samsung's silicone strap cases.

I'm happy so far with what I've read about the leaked specs. I'm not really going to know what the camera changes mean until I actually get to test it the way I use these phone cameras in daily use. Specs often don't mean much, I've discovered.

Reactions: BEaRebel

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Just curious why Samsung is still SO BAD with color choices for their premium phones? I have never seen such a poor selection for the S23 lineup with exception of the green phone.

I haven't seen the colour line-up yet -- but now, I want to look! Or do I... 🤣.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So, it looks pretty dead here. I guess not many people are going for the s23 Ultra and are keeping what they have.

I like my s22 Ultra a lot but some camera improvements would be welcome. At first I thought I'd need more power efficiency but over time I realize I do okay.

I'm planning on getting the s23 Ultra. I'm just trying to pick a color. Unlike most people, I like all the leaked colors well enough. Pink is probably my favorite but it's the color that least matches my clothes and accessories so I'm trying to think about how important that is to me. I use clear cases often but I also like Samsung's silicone strap cases.

I'm happy so far with what I've read about the leaked specs. I'm not really going to know what the camera changes mean until I actually get to test it the way I use these phone cameras in daily use. Specs often don't mean much, I've discovered.

My suspicion is that what you'll find is that in real world performance, the S23U and S22U (and S21U) camera performance will be functionally identical.

The cameras on the Ultras apparently have their issues... but I don't think those issues are that there aren't enough Megapixels.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
My suspicion is that what you'll find is that in real world performance, the S23U and S22U (and S21U) camera performance will be functionally identical.

The cameras on the Ultras apparently have their issues... but I don't think those issues are that there aren't enough Megapixels.
This

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ready to upgrade from my Note 20 Ultra 512gb. I've had it with the blurry pictures with even slight motion (mostly indoors) and hoping the cameras are as good as I'm hearing on the S23 Ultra.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Not much difference at all - that's the point - except that my Note 10+ has an SD card. Got my wife an S22U, and didn't see any reason at all for me to spend money to get myself one. Maybe I'll see a little more bang for my buck going to the S23U (I am a pen user).

I was back & forth the past few days if it was worth the risk to go a year without operating system updates. Then this morning a news clip popped up about a Galaxy store exploit back in Nov & Dec. My Note 9 no longer receives updates nor is one available. Timely news leak in Samsung's favor (Grrrr) as I will now pre order.

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sold yet, but I think I would go with the green. I really never liked the silver trim on my white S22 Ultra. And I really don't like the gold trim on that new white (whatever they are calling it)

I also love the Samsung strap case, except that it really sticks to my jeans pocket and turns it inside out whenever I pull it out. I also use a clear kickstand case from Spigen.

And I have the Samsung leather in black and the flip cover in black. I like how clean they both are, but the flip cover is impractical most of the time.

So I was thinking maybe if I have enough credits, I would get the green or white leather and the strap case again.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using AC Forums mobile app

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sold yet, but I think I would go with the green. I really never liked the silver trim on my white S22 Ultra. And I really don't like the gold trim on that new white (whatever they are calling it)

I also love the Samsung strap case, except that it really sticks to my jeans pocket and turns it inside out whenever I pull it out. I also use a clear kickstand case from Spigen.

And I have the Samsung leather in black and the flip cover in black. I like how clean they both are, but the flip cover is impractical most of the time.

So I was thinking maybe if I have enough credits, I would get the green or white leather and the strap case again.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using AC Forums mobile app
If the green was a darker forest green, I'd probably get that. It seems a bit too light of a green for me. All the colors seem very pastel except black.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I was back & forth the past few days if it was worth the risk to go a year without operating system updates. Then this morning a news clip popped up about a Galaxy store exploit back in Nov & Dec. My Note 9 no longer receives updates nor is one available. Timely news leak in Samsung's favor (Grrrr) as I will now pre order.
I had a hard time trading in my Note 9 bc it was the only time I ever had a blue phone and the only time the S Pen came in some loud yellow color which at first I hated but when the color allowed me to spot it from a distance after dropping it on a bus, I grew to like it, even if it caught people's attention every time I had it out.

I think it will be a good upgrade for you. Be warned that it's heavier than the Note 9.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Well the S22 Ultra was one of the best phones of 2022. So yeah a lot will be standing pat. That said, on release day I bet you'll see things picking up here. As some of the I'm happy with the S22 ultra will be caving in once the S23 is actually available.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I had a hard time trading in my Note 9 bc it was the only time I ever had a blue phone and the only time the S Pen came in some loud yellow color which at first I hated but when the color allowed me to spot it from a distance after dropping it on a bus, I grew to like it, even if it caught people's attention every time I had it out.

I think it will be a good upgrade for you. Be warned that it's heavier than the Note 9.

I didn't actually buy one, but that blue and yellow Note 9 was the first time I was actually interested in a Samsung device. It's such a good colour combo! (ask me about my bespoke yellow Flip 4 lol) And then a couple of months later they released the Batman edition which was sick! IT was also the first to include bluetooth and a super capacitor in the S-Pen ( yep, it ain't a battery it's a frickin' super capacitor)

If it had a removable battery it would have probably been the perfectphone... I have such nostalgia for the time when new phones were actually interesting...

*sigh*!

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Especially if Samsung/the carriers/the stores offer good trade-in values and/or "free" upgrades to more RAM/storage. The bump from 8/128 to 12/512 was the deciding factor for me last year.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Yes, that blue w/the yellow S pen is what I was hoping was in stock. However, I only have a Note 9 as my S8+ overheated & would not restart. Needed a phone asap & cloud silver is what was readily available that day.

& thanks for the heads up about the weight. I always have a case on phones, so it will be a tank. Hoping there is a special for the earbuds with pre orders this year.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
So far I'm hearing at launch Samsung will be offering the free upgrade (same price for a 12 GB RAM/512 MB storage S23 Ultra model as it would be for the 8/256 model).

Also hearing approximately $200 in Samsung credit, on top of the $50 credit for pre-registering. You have to use the credit at check-out on accessories or other Samsung products. Can't be applied towards the price of the phone.

Hearing anywhere from $800 to $1000 for the trade-in value of an S22 Ultra. I will be happy with $800, pumped if it's close to $900. Not expecting $1000. Guess we will see as it gets closer.

Oh wow 800 would be great! I'll take it especially if they do the free memory upgrade also. I think when we traded in our S10+ for the 21 Ultra we paid like 800 after trade in. So when they were giving 1000 for the 21U for the 22U I said we have to do it we're making 200 bucks nut we got the 512 so it was 399 a piece and I kept saying and we made 200 so to me we paid 199. And like I said we only did it to get more for when the 23 came out. So if we do get the memory upgrade what is the price 1299?

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Yep, trading in my S22 Ultra, Galaxy Watch 4 Classic and earbuds pro for S23 Ultra Watch 5 pro and earbuds pro 2

Don't we get the new earbuds free with pre-order? I have the buds pro I think I can't keep up on names the ones before the most recent ones. Can you trade in more than one item if just getting the phone? I would do that to get more off the phone if I was getting the newest buds but otherwise I will just have a backup pair.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site

I am excited about upgrading and the camera enhancements. I love taking moon pictures now and I video local bands and concerts. I heard the mic and speaker will also be better. I use cases also but I am leaning towards the pink looks lavander to me or green would be my 2nd choice. I remember when I was getting my S10 plus from BB the wait and back order of the Flamingo Pink.

Reactions: BEaRebel