Hands free: change to Voice Search from S Voice

Altramarine

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I decided to finally change from Samsung's S-Voice to Google's Voice Search. S-Voice isnt cutting it for me when I use my hands free in my car. However, I found it to be very challenging what at first sounded like a breeze, and common sense possible.
Is there a working method to achieve this?
Specifically, whenever I activate my handsfree while driving, I want my phone to launch Google Voice Search, so I could phone someone, navigate, etc. So far, i have to manually wake my phone up, then use the lock screen Voice Search icon to launch it. As you might imagine, that can be quite dangerous while driving.

Galaxy S3 SGH-I747M
Rogers's stock Jelly Bean 4.1.1
Nova Launcher

So far, i've tried:

* disabled S-Voice
This automatically made Google Voice Dialer the default app when using hands free, which isn't great.

* Downloaded Bluetooth Launch app (kudos to this this page)
*** Set Google Search -> com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.VoiceSearchActivity
Now when I activate my headset, my phone triggers the Google's Voice Search properly (whoohoo!)
BUT
Voice Search just displays "initializing..." for around 20 seconds and then "Can't reach Google at the moment" "Retry"

So bloody close, yet so far.
I can launch Voice Search manually and it works just fine, but not via the Bluetooth Launch app.

Any suggestions?
Thanks so much!

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I just double tap my headset's send button and it pops open S-voice. U then speak the person I'm trying to dial. I haven't really used it for anything else.

Altramarine

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

S Voice isnt working well for me, that is why I am trying to change it to the Google's Voice Search.
Seems like I may need to resort to rooting my phone to achieve this unless someone has a known fix.

Thanks,

macbook5

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I installed home2shortcut from the play store. I set it up to launch google voice search instead of s voice. Worked for me. Hope this helps you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol