Installing CM 10.1 on a Telus i747 - Tips for a noob? :)

Canadian737

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello Android Central,

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to roms and rooting (well actually a major noob...). I managed to root my Telus i747 last night. It was a lot easier than I thought. I've been wanting to install CM10.1 on my S3 for ages, as I like the look of stock android better than touchwiz. I'm just a bit hazy on how to flash the rom onto my phone. I know there are several beginners guides, but I'm always paranoid/confused about whether the guides are compatible with my Telus i747.

I found one article here: Install CM 10.1.0 Final ROM for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 I747 (Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM)

My confusion/paranoia stems from the words "use this post only with the AT&T variant of Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I747.
don?t try to flash the files on any other Android device, as you will end up bricking it."

Does this literally mean only the AT&T variant, or will this work with my Telus variant, seeing as they both use the same model?

If someone knows of a very good guide to installing CM10.1 for complete noobs and are compatible with Canadian carrier versions of the S3, please let me know!

Also, do you have any tips for me? I am currently just rooted...no CWM installed yet. I'm not quite sure what to do next.

Thanks for the help!

Jack Tierney

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
If you're already rooted you should have CWM already installed. When you go to recovery mode you will be able to see this. Do backup and restore to sd card. Then you will have a backup of all your files and you will be ready to install mod. Follow all the steps, should be fine. Now i'm running i747 for rogers. According to cyanogenmod's website, the at&t download is compatible with rogers, bell, and telus. Here's the link:

Information: Samsung Galaxy S III (AT&T) ("d2att") - CyanogenMod

Now, I have yet to install this myself just yet. I will be doing tonight when I get home from work. But I can't see any reason why it would not work. If you try before me, let me know how it goes!

Canadian737

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I was able to get CWM installed after flashing a .tar file via Odin. I did a backup but I want to do it onto a separate external sd card that I can remove and store somewhere safe as an emergency backup of my stock ROM, so I wll be going out and buying another sd card today. As well, I'll copy it over to the computer. My understanding is I can plug the phone or sd card into the computer, and simply copy and paste the entire clockworkmod folder to my hard drive as another backup, correct?

Once I download d2att, how do I go about copying it to the phone? Another simple copy and paste to either sd card? Or do I have to use adb, like I've seen in some places?

Thanks!

Canadian737

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately it aborted the install. I received an assert failure, don't have the exact codes as I freaked out and rebooted. I am now in factory but rooted state. It said something about ("bootloader") and the final line said Status 7. Is my bootloader locked?

What should I do?

Canadian737

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
If you can, boot up from your backup and start again. I found this which might be your answer

http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/182438-solved-assert-failed.html

Let me know how it goes.

I read over the post and it looks like it may help. However that error is not what I get. I get this:

assert failed: getprop("ro.bootloader") == "I747UCDLK3" | |
getprop("ro.bootloader") == "I747MVLDK4" | |
getprop("ro.bootloader") == "I747MUMBLK3" | |
getprop("ro.bootloader") == "I747MUMBLL1"
E:Error in /sdcard/cm-10.1.2-d2att.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

I am a noob when it comes to rooting/flashing. I have no idea what this means, other than what looks to be a problem with the bootloader. Does this mean my bootloader is locked? Because to my knowledge, only Verizon's Galaxy S3's come with locked bootloaders.

Does anyone know if that linked thread's fix will solve my issue...or brick my phone? I'm not going to take a chance without certain confirmation.

Jack Tierney

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I sincerely doubt it would hard brick your phone, but I am not experienced enough to confirm. I did it with my rogers, no problem. Good luck!

Jack Tierney

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, im not sure. I did this with my i747 for rogers and had no problem. But I am not experienced enough to guarantee you anything (I don't know if anyone is) My colleague at work (who is a champ at this stuff) told me there shouldn't be a problem at all.

Canadian737

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
So just to confirm, you performed the fix in the thread that you linked, and it worked? I am out of the country right now and will be unable to try this until I get back. Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital