Phone Fell: Purple ooze slowly growing across screen

Patrick Jolin

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
What's goin' on, boys?

I made the unfortunate mistake of letting a friend who had one too many to drink use my phone to call another friend.
She promptly dropped it, and nothing noticeable happened at first. No apparent damage, no cracked screen. But over time, I noticed a purple spot in the top left corner of my screen. Slowly but surely, this purple spot grew, and became slowly darker and darker. I was still able to use my phone despite the discolouration.

I go to bed and wake up the next morning. The entire screen is dark purple, borderline jet black. I can't see the contents of the screen except for slight purple light appearing on the sides. I assume some kind of internal liquid used for the screen is leaking?

What is the problem, and can you estimate how much it'll cost to fix? I'm with Rogers if that helps.

Thinking about going to a nearby Samsung depot however.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It definitely sounds like a screen malfunction related to the drop I don't know how much it might cost to repair, but your local repair shop should be able to give you an estimate.

thewhitequeen

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
If you have patience and some know-how, you can replace the screen yourself with parts from eBay. I replaced my S2 screen before passing the phone along and it worked very well, I saved a ton!

Criticnumber1

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
please tell me more about it!!! Same problem, yes... I dropped it by accident...At first it was nothing, but now the left corner is soo dark, you can't see anything. And its purple! Its spreading around! I really need help! And please, don't fool around or send advises that are fake... Thank you sooooo much!

Dorinel33

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Same

Hi! It happened the same to me. But i didnt drop it or anything... i just woke up in a morning with a little purple thing in left down...7days later(now) it covered the whole screen. Lol... need to go to service

Kool Kam

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Same

Hi! It happened the same to me. But i didnt drop it or anything... i just woke up in a morning with a little purple thing in left down...7days later(now) it covered the whole screen. Lol... need to go to service

Same happened to me except I didn't drop it and it hasn't covered my whole screen yet. It was on the bottom right of my samsung s7

RAJA SAMIULLAH

May 8, 2017
Visit site
Hi! It happens to same to me but I didn't drop and anything it noticed it in last night it is purple small spot on screen then i switched of my phone and sleep i awoke up in morning and notice it will be large im recently buy my phone i just used it 16 days please help me

Qmobile noir i7i pro

tinaparkii

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
I have galaxy s6 mine has done same with purple can barely see through it now but if defo not dropped mine plus it's in a protective case as well x looking at £130 to get new screen

tinaparkii

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
I did take mine to a repair shop and he wouldn't touch it told me its a hardware fault to take it to samsung but it's defo not in warranty so what's the point

Kristyn Johnson

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Same

Same happened to me except I didn't drop it and it hasn't covered my whole screen yet. It was on the bottom right of my samsung s7

Same thing is happening to me I didn't drop it, no cracked screen and this purple ooze has literally almost covered my screen in almost 24 hrs I woke up to it like this. I have AT&T and I'm hoping my insurance covers this!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What you're seeing is usually due to some kind of trauma, so they'll be looking closely for any evidence of it (like scuffs or dents). If they have a reasonable suspicion that there has been trauma, something like this would probably not be covered by the warranty. However, if you paid extra for insurance​, that usually covers damage (as opposed to defects).

Apr 9, 2018
Visit site
I have a Samsung galaxy s5. This problem is also happening to me, I have dropped it a couple times and it is cracked, but nothing had happened, until now, I haven’t dropped it recently but it jut started a few hours ago I’m certain because I used it this morning. It’s a violet and black color covering more than half of my screen please help

Elijah813

May 22, 2018
Visit site
Phone fell in creek water

Same thing has happened to me except it is green, yesterday me and my friend were out biking and then I slipped and my bike fell into the creek. After it fell we went to go fish it out and then I slipped with my phone in my pocket and nothing had happened except for when I got home it was bugging a little but I ignored it. Fast forward 24 hours later and there is a green blob at the top left of the screen and it grew across the screen in just 1 minute and all I see is green does anyone know how to fix plzzzzz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs