Samsung Galaxy S3 in Canada - After recent 4.3 update, phone fails to call out.

Geezertron

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi. Thanks for taking the time to read.

I updated my unlocked Bell SGH-I747M to 4.3 about a week ago, and as soon as I did, my phone repeatedly fails to call out. As soon as I dial a number, either manually or with a contact, it says "call ended" before it even rings. A check of the logs says "call cancelled". The only thing that will allow me to dial out is a reboot. And recently, I've noticed that if I change the network mode from LTE/WCDMA/DSM to "DSM only" and dial a number it works, and then if I set it back to LTE/WCDMA/DSM, it will again work...for a while until it fails again. Reception was always perfect before the update so that's not it. Everything about the phone was perfect before the update, and this is the only thing the update has screwed up it seems. I contacted Samsung tech support, and they wrote back saying that I should "force stop" the phone app, clear the data and reboot. That didn't work. I tried resetting everything back to factory defaults, and that didn't work. I can't revert back to an older android version, so great...my phone sort of works.

Anyways, I decided to root the phone and take out all the bloatware I could...everything I couldn't disable was uninstalled with Titanium Backup (after backing everything up of course), including every trace of Knox, and I guess I hoped that some piece of bloatware might be responsible but nope...it still does it. I do love how much longer my battery is lasting though, and how fewer things are using data bandwidth for god-knows-what. Everything still works, but I still would like to fix that phone app! Any suggestions? Would flashing a custom rom replace 4.3 altogether and likely fix my calling issues or does it not work that way? Sorry...noob here.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

dsutkiewic

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
YES! I have the same problem. Well, for me on Telus I HAVE to be on LTE/WCDMA/GSM for it to make calls all the time. If I choose WCDMA only my phone will fail to call out randomly and I'd like to have it on WCDMA only because the battery sucks on LTE. Pre-4.3 I was able to be on WCDMA only with no issue.

For me, if I toggle Airplane mode on/off phone calls start to work again. Still looking for a solution.

Dan.

Tzachi Buchnik

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
same problem here... and even when i replaced the rom with cm or aokp it didnt stop the problem...
i also use the airplan mode solution for now.. does anyone know how to solve it ?

Tzachi Buchnik

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
same problem here... and even when i replaced the rom with cm or aokp it didnt stop the problem...
i also use the airplan mode solution for now.. does anyone know how to solve it ?

sir001

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
YES! I have the same problem. Well, for me on Telus I HAVE to be on LTE/WCDMA/GSM for it to make calls all the time. If I choose WCDMA only my phone will fail to call out randomly and I'd like to have it on WCDMA only because the battery sucks on LTE. Pre-4.3 I was able to be on WCDMA only with no issue.

For me, if I toggle Airplane mode on/off phone calls start to work again. Still looking for a solution.

Dan.

I have the same problem ....TELUS unlocked S3 but on Rogers sim, even replaced the Samsung 4.3 update with cyanogenmod kit Kat 4.4 with the same no dial out issues.

now fixed it. change mobile settings to "not"use LTE.(under More Settings / Mobile Settings / Preferred Network Type)

I'm using "GSM/ Wcdma auto" and my data's still working and I don't have to reboot anymore to dial out

try the different settings to see which works for you

Tzachi Buchnik

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc