Galaxy S3 - Touch not responding after firm tap on screen

cuddlypike

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

On my Galaxy S3, the touch screen frequently stops responding while being used. It doesn't matter which app I am in. After some testing, it seems to happen when I press the screen more firmly (although not particularly hard). Thus it happens seemingly randomly while in use.
Pressing the power button to put the phone into sleep mode then again to return to the lock screen clears the trouble, but only until the next firm press.

As a bit of background on the phone: Initially, the back/menu buttons stopped working. I have replacement touch sensors for them, but have yet to try replacing them.

Has anyone seen this problem?
Is it a problem with a digitizer? Or just software?

Does this problem indicate worse things to come for my touch screen?

Any help would be most appreciated.
Cheers,
Colin

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Have you dropped your phone or "stressed" it out at all? Are you rooted or running any custom ROMs? What version of JellyBean are you running (you are in the Canadian forum, so I assumer that you've upgraded to 4.3?) All of this would be helpful in figuring out your problems. It could be software, might be hardware. Have you tried a factory reset? If you are on stock, and not rooted (like I am) and up to date on your version, a factory reset will most certainly rule out software.

cuddlypike

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
To my knowledge, the phone has not been "stressed" or dropped.
I am not rooted nor am I running any custom ROMs.
The phone is running 4.3

Also, I have tried a factory reset this weekend. It may have been my imagination, but the issue seemed harder to reproduce immediately after the reset. However, now it is easy to reproduce again. :(

In fact, I just now did another factory reset and didn't install anything or restore any files and it bugged almost immediately.

Last edited:

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I have not experienced this at all... ever... sounds like you have some bad (or failing) hardware. No doubt you're out of warranty, but you can contact Samsung (or take it to a repair depot) and get a cost on repair.... or just go buy a Nexus 5 (or upgrade to a SGS5 this spring). :)

BTW - I love my SGS3!

cuddlypike

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Hehe, thanks for the help! I was afraid of that answer.
Sadly, yeah, no longer under warranty. :(

Anyone who has any additional thoughts about this, please shout them out... Maybe one of them might save my poor, little S3. :p
Otherwise, I'll begin to consider my options. Thanks again!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante