s3 mini - how to set default storage to sd card?

jrmama42

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I have a s3 mini G730A, and installed a 32gb micro sd card. I can't figure out how to set the default destination for downloaded files (.pdf for example) to the sd card. I can move files there after they've downloaded, but can't get the initial download destination to change. Under "My Files" there's an option to set image, video, music and document directory but nothing for "downloads". Every time I download a .pdf file it ends up in the Device Storage "Download" folder. I'd like to eventually be able to download audio books to the sd card, but not sure it's possible to have them go there directly. Anybody know if this is possible? What am I missing?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central :)
As far as I know, there is no way to download directly to the SD card. If you are rooted though, there is an Xposed module that does exactly that.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
What app(s) are you using for these downloads? The stock browser (aka Internet) allows you to set the destination for downloads (Menu button -> Settings -> Advanced -> Default storage); most other browsers probably have similar capabilities.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Firefox also didn't have a setting, but the first time I downloaded something it prompted me with a dialog asking where I wanted to save the download. I selected the SD card and clicked the checkbox that told it not to ask me again - perhaps you did something like that with Chrome?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

jrmama42

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Not that I recall. But if I did, is there a way to undo it?
There's a screen in the App Info where you can "clear data" and "move to sd card", but I'm afraid to try this. What data will be cleared? And what would be moved to the sd card? I guess I can live with manually moving files to the sd card. Presumably, I can control where files go when I copy from the computer, since I see both the phone storage and sd card when it's connected.
Here's what that screen looks like.
Screenshot_2014-05-21-09-44-13_resized.png
Thanks for all the help!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Not that I recall. But if I did, is there a way to undo it?
There's a screen in the App Info where you can "clear data" and "move to sd card", but I'm afraid to try this. What data will be cleared? And what would be moved to the sd card? I guess I can live with manually moving files to the sd card. Presumably, I can control where files go when I copy from the computer, since I see both the phone storage and sd card when it's connected.
Here's what that screen looks like.
View attachment 119314
Thanks for all the help!
Clear data will erase all of your pre-set settings for the browser (Bookmarks, accounts used, default homepage, etc.). Moving to SD card will move a portion of the app to the external SD, but there's really no point in doing that as it is a minuscule amount of storage.

I don't recall having that option in Chrome either, so I'm sure it's a feature only some browsers have.

Ines M

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
heyy, can you indicate which module does that? ive just rooted my s4 using towel root and the superSU manager, but i am not familiar with any of these things :s

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
can you indicate which module does that?
Which module does what?
What are you trying to do?
Which firmware are you running?