Google Play Running in Background Draining Battery

Ivan Piacun

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
At least I am noticing it on the Samsung S3 Mini. I have tried everything to fix it. Settings changes do not work. Ending the App only stops it for a little while and then it comes back again. Closing the app with the lower right button on the phone leaves it running. Uninstalling the app's updates works but only until the next update of the app in the course of normal Google Play updates. There is no way of disabling this particular app from updating on Google play on this phone this I needed to turn off automatic updates and get notified whenever an app requires updates and then just manually select applications except for Google Play to update. Which is a real nuisance and a waste of my time.

In my opinion when you close an application with the right lower button on the Samsung S3 mini it should end it. If I wanted it to run in the background I would close it with the center lower button.

I have reported this as an abuse of my phone on the Goggle Play options for this application yesterday but the update that came through today does not appear to have fixed the problem. Is Google in collusion with phone manufacturers to sell new phones so that we can have the option of disabling individual app updates in Google Play.

I think this course of events is disgusting and Goggle need to get their act together especially as this been problem has been in existence previously for other phones and has been around again now for over a week on the Samsung S3 Mini.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Can you show us a couple screenshot of your battery stats, please? The list and tap on the graph at the top.

Ivan Piacun

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry but unfortunately I can't seem to be able to take a snapshot of the screen even with a screen capture app running. It also doesn't appear to have hand motion settings available for this as this phone is a telecom NZ version.

After over 10 hours on battery with minimal use after a full charge with Goggle play music starting in the background:
Android OS shows 55%
Google services shows 11%
Screen shows 9%
Device idle shows 5%
Cell standby shows 4%
Takes manger shows 4%
Phone shows 3%
Exchange services shows 2%
android System shows 2%
Outlook.com shows 2%
Note I am also running Juice defender ultimate but with Mobile Data setting disable, WiFi management enabled and WiFi preferred set and location management of WiFi enabled and schedule enabled with a 15 minute frequency. Also it's notification is set to graphical.
Battery shows 30% available

uzip

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem on my Note II.
What bothers me is the reason why something starts google player to run in the background without any explicit operation from my side.
Is there a way to identify the process that starts it?

I have a rooted version. Yet, for many months it was rooted without this problem.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
At least I am noticing it on the Samsung S3 Mini. I have tried everything to fix it. Settings changes do not work. Ending the App only stops it for a little while and then it comes back again. Closing the app with the lower right button on the phone leaves it running. Uninstalling the app's updates works but only until the next update of the app in the course of normal Google Play updates. There is no way of disabling this particular app from updating on Google play on this phone this I needed to turn off automatic updates and get notified whenever an app requires updates and then just manually select applications except for Google Play to update. Which is a real nuisance and a waste of my time.

In my opinion when you close an application with the right lower button on the Samsung S3 mini it should end it. If I wanted it to run in the background I would close it with the center lower button.

I have reported this as an abuse of my phone on the Goggle Play options for this application yesterday but the update that came through today does not appear to have fixed the problem. Is Google in collusion with phone manufacturers to sell new phones so that we can have the option of disabling individual app updates in Google Play.

It's not updating 24/7:

When you open and close App #1
- Android keeps process of App #1 in cache
Open and close App #2
- Android keeps process of App #2 in cache
Open App #1? Android has the process in cache, saved time there.

It's actually a bit more complicated. Please read:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-s/380592-guide-ram-android.html

Swyped from my Samsung Galaxy SIII mini (GT-I8190) - via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton