Set default download location to sdcard for whatsapp

Shruti Kejriwal

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Hi All,

I have an s3 mini which I have rooted recently and its working absolutely fine after uninstalling all the bloatwares.

I noticed that default internal memory on the phone is very less and the kind of media we get on daily basis is really huge which could fill up this space very easily in short time thus having issues with the memory.

I want to know is there any way even I can set my default download location for the whatsapp media files directly to the external SD card ? If that is possible it will be very helpful. Although I tried to Google out the possibilities and found there is a way to periodically move the data from internal memory to SD card through some apps on play store but I am trying to figure out if there is any permanent solution to this even if it requires to change any of the system config files, I can take that chance since I am also a developer but not an android one though.

Thanks for all the response.
Shruti

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately nope, Whatsapp doesn't have a setting to automatically use the SD card for media storage. You can, however, 'hack' the phone into thinking that the SD Card is part of the internal memory, thus basically expanding your phone's storage (akin to 'Adoptable Storage' in newer versions of Android).

Unfortunately, I don't know exactly how to do this, but a Google search should help. Also, remember, doing this is not without risks. SD Cards aren't that reliable, they're usually slower than your on-board storage, and should you remove the card (or it fails or gets corrupted), apps that had data there could possibly become unusable and, of course, you could lose data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz