Galaxy S3 Bricked. Unfortunately, com.android.settings has stopped appears on phone

Preston321

Dec 1, 2020
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S3 that is bricked, I say brick because nothing can be done on the phone itself, whether it be in the android ui or the reboot menu when pressing the menu and volume up button. A factory reset and a clearing of cache does not fix the phone. I tried to install a new android os via usb and/or micro sd but something in the phone like a security system blocks any attempts. When booted normally all you get is the error prompt never ending with the message "Unfortunately, com.android.settings has stopped" with a black background and just an upper drop down with battery and timer.

Yes the phone is dated now, but it is perfectly clean, was barely used and seems like a waste to not get it working and keep it as a backup or donate it somewhere.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, welcome to AC!

It's a very old device , and don't recommend even as a back.up as there plenty in the market cheap and current. It may work , but it's not getting security updates, apps will have compatibility issues, it's like saying I have windows 95 and it operating but not going get support or functionality from it like windows 10. With that said.

Try odin and if u can find the firmware which can be hard to come by because it's age , flash it .

Edit: sources to try find the firmware would be xda forums.

Preston321

Dec 1, 2020
Visit site
Even so is it possible to find an OS to overwrite the Samsung OS with and bypass the security on it in the Reboot menu? I tried to install an alternate os years ago but some sort of security blocks the process. It is still a phone and can be used to call and text regardless of age correct? I use a Galaxy s5 for 4 years and barely downloaded any applications to it and is almost stock still.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Even so is it possible to find an OS to overwrite the Samsung OS with and bypass the security on it in the Reboot menu? I tried to install an alternate os years ago but some sort of security blocks the process. It is still a phone and can be used to call and text regardless of age correct? I use a Galaxy s5 for 4 years and barely downloaded any applications to it and is almost stock still.

Even if there wasn't something security related blocking the custom OS (which we couldn't help bypass anyway), you can't simply find one online and install it and expect it to work. You would need to find one designed for your specific model number phone, and there's 4 different models of the S3.

Even if you bypassed that hurdle, there's another problem if you live in the U.S. That phone is only compatible with the old 2G/3G networks, and all the carriers are beginning to shut them down. They may not even let you activate it, which I know for a fact Verizon has stopped accepting CDMA only phones. Going forward, phones must be VoLTE compatible 4G LTE or have 5G radios to get service. Not sure about the rest of the world on that front, but something to look in to if you are elsewhere.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes call and text , I wouldn't even feel safe leaving my data on it ,[ WE WONT TALK ABOUT BYPASS ANY SECURITY]
AS mooncatt mention the other stuff .