Galaxy i9305 used with Alfred app now unresponsive, Help!

six_h

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Camera (my i9305) went "offline" yesterday.
Checking it today, it displayed the "Samsung GALAXY SIII" screen, the only change I could achieve was to see the battery icon in grey despite the charger being attached.

Opening the phone, I found the battery was blown, so I replaced it with a "new" one, it had not been previously used so may need charging but only the two screens above were once more displayed despite charger attached.

Pressing and holding power, Volume Up and home buttons,I somehow achieved a screen that warned me that installing a custom ROM was not recommended!
Declining this option by pressing the Volume Down button, I was returned to the two previous screens!

Another multi button attempt showed a poorly Android robot with the door open and the "working" icon displayed, ...eventually it showed many lines of red text, finally offering several options:-
Boot from Cache
Boot from external source....?
Re-boot
Being just three I can remember.
I tried Boot from Cache first, unsuccessful
Next I tried just plain old "Re-boot", again unsuccessful.

How do I revive my phone?
Any help appreciated, thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What's the Alfred app -- are you talking about the home security cam app?

After you inserted the new battery, did you let it charge undisturbed for at least 6 hours before trying to power on?

six_h

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi B. Diddy, thanks for replying.
Yes, I was using the Alfred Security cam App with this phone for about two years.
The battery is or rather was bought new last year, but has just been put in the phone due to finding the existing one blown and swollen it is currently attached to the charger.
The phone comes on as soon as the battery is inserted without touching the power button even before attaching the charger.
Pressing and holding the power button for almost a minute, it eventually changes to the charging screen but there is no activity what so ever, the Battery icon is just grey, no hint of green, no indication of percentage, ...even "0.0%" despite the splash screen showing without any charger support!

The phone, with battery is currently on the charger but there is no change and the grey battery icon does not go away.
...Odd!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd still let it charge undisturbed for at least 6 hours before trying again. Any battery for the S3 will be about as old as the S3 itself, which means it has probably degenerated over time, so it may take a while for it to charge up. It might also have failed by now on its own.

six_h

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks mustang7757
So you can get into download mode ?
No idea!
out of frustration that there was power available from the new battery despite it having sat for a year in its envelope, I tried some "Multiple button presses" to try and get some reactionb.
One screen was the warning that installing a custom ROM was dangerous and not advised.
The other was responses from "E:/" a whole load of red text, similar to the terminal in Linux.
It appears to be having difficulty in finding anything to boot from, eventually giving me about 4 alternatives.
1) Re-boot. 2) Boot from external sources. 3) Boot from Cache and another alternative comprising three letters which mean nothing to me, but I thought better not try that as it might all go MAMMARIES ALOFT!
I did try the plain old "Re boot" option and also the Boot from cache options as they seemed non destructive, but nothing changed.

I have no idea how to root the phone even if it was working as expected, in this zombie state, I have no chance!

B. Diddy, Can't see that the battery is totally dead as it immediately powered the splash screen on the phone "on", and the brightness seems to indicate the battery has some life in it but what don I know!
Meanwhile I'm following the advice to just let it charge!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks mustang7757
No idea!
out of frustration that there was power available from the new battery despite it having sat for a year in its envelope, I tried some "Multiple button presses" to try and get some reactionb.
One screen was the warning that installing a custom ROM was dangerous and not advised.
The other was responses from "E:/" a whole load of red text, similar to the terminal in Linux.
It appears to be having difficulty in finding anything to boot from, eventually giving me about 4 alternatives.
1) Re-boot. 2) Boot from external sources. 3) Boot from Cache and another alternative comprising three letters which mean nothing to me, but I thought better not try that as it might all go MAMMARIES ALOFT!
I did try the plain old "Re boot" option and also the Boot from cache options as they seemed non destructive, but nothing changed.

I have no idea how to root the phone even if it was working as expected, in this zombie state, I have no chance!

B. Diddy, Can't see that the battery is totally dead as it immediately powered the splash screen on the phone "on", and the brightness seems to indicate the battery has some life in it but what don I know!
Meanwhile I'm following the advice to just let it charge!
Hi, ok let it charge , do you use this as a main device?

six_h

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
No, My main phone is a Huawei P30 Pro.
This was just a security cam. it's pristine so I'll be sad to send it to the dump!
It's predecessor as a security cam was an HTC Wildfire S, again a cracking little phone but the permanent attachment of the charger required by Alfred App soon turns the battery to bubblegum!
That one is way beyond help, it was running Android 2.1 but it can no longer contact Google Play Store, ...Play services is "Missing" and can't be reinstalled!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, My main phone is a Huawei P30 Pro.
This was just a security cam. it's pristine so I'll be sad to send it to the dump!
It's predecessor as a security cam was an HTC Wildfire S, again a cracking little phone but the permanent attachment of the charger required by Alfred App soon turns the battery to bubblegum!
That one is way beyond help, it was running Android 2.1 but it can no longer contact Google Play Store, ...Play services is "Missing" and can't be reinstalled!
Ah gotcha , let's see with B. Diddy suggestion how it works out .

Last edited:

six_h

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's had 24hrs on charge and there is no difference, still shows the grey "Charge Icon", no sign of any green indication of retained power but the splash screen still lights up and only goes out when the battery is removed!

I can only assume that both the phone and the battery are Goosed!

Thanks for your help guys.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, it's had 24hrs on charge and there is no difference, still shows the grey "Charge Icon", no sign of any green indication of retained power but the splash screen still lights up and only goes out when the battery is removed!

I can only assume that both the phone and the battery are Goosed!

Thanks for your help guys.
No good :(