Wireless Charging Might Come Standard? credit AndroidCentral blog.

My thoughts on this besides the obvious comments of being good or bad in the charging department, is what about price?

How badly would an addition like this drive up the price to the customer?

Personally the price of cell phones today I would opt out of this if its going to make a big change in the price. I have no problem using a hard wire cord to charge if its going to keep my purchase price down.
    03-20-2012 03:00 PM
    As long as the charging base is an optional accessory, and doesn't increase the price of the base unit, I'm all for it. I'm a former Pre owner and I loved the optional Touchstone add-on. But, it's collecting dust now, and I'm not about to get all Dr. Frankenstein with my E4GT in order get more life out of it.

In short, I think even a proprietary charging system is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as its an option rather than a requirement.
    Paul627g and ScandaLeX like this.
    03-20-2012 04:48 PM
    As long as the charging base is an optional accessory, and doesn't increase the price of the base unit, I'm all for it. I'm a former Pre owner and I loved the optional Touchstone add-on. But, it's collecting dust now, and I'm not about to get all Dr. Frankenstein with my E4GT in order get more life out of it.

In short, I think even a proprietary charging system is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as its an option rather than a requirement.
    I especially liked the part I highlighted.. Cracked me up.
    03-20-2012 05:03 PM
    Didn't it say "meters" for the distance though? what happens if you put your head inbetween there the entire time?

There's no positive proof/disproof that EMF in very low doses such as cell radiation or wireless charging can cause bodily harm, but really, who wants to lay in bed, using their phone and have the charging signal go through you for hours?

I sure as heck dont. I'm already freaked out enough and don't carry my phone in my pocket.
    03-20-2012 06:06 PM
    Seens how I live under high voltage power lines, will the phone charge anywhere in the house?
    bagarwa likes this.
    03-20-2012 07:37 PM
    I loved the touchstone with my palm Pres. So much better than plugging it in. Only problem I saw was that it got hotter than plug in charging. My battery would get very hot if I had it on the touchstone and was using 3G.

I agree with others that it should be optional and not a mandatory extra expense.
    03-20-2012 07:57 PM
    Didn't it say "meters" for the distance though? what happens if you put your head inbetween there the entire time?

There's no positive proof/disproof that EMF in very low doses such as cell radiation or wireless charging can cause bodily harm, but really, who wants to lay in bed, using their phone and have the charging signal go through you for hours?

I sure as heck dont. I'm already freaked out enough and don't carry my phone in my pocket.

I'm sorry to say, but you're living with all that radiation right now, if not more. The fact that they said it had a charging distance of up to 2 meters would clearly need to be in a straight line from the charger and to make a charger physically work at that range, you would need a great level of precision in the placement of said device.

The charging at 2 meters is BS and you're already living with that level of radiation. Deal with it.
    03-20-2012 08:11 PM
    Wireless Charging Might Come Standard? credit AndroidCentral blog.

My thoughts on this besides the obvious comments of being good or bad in the charging department, is what about price?

How badly would an addition like this drive up the price to the customer?

Personally the price of cell phones today I would opt out of this if its going to make a big change in the price. I have no problem using a hard wire cord to charge if its going to keep my purchase price down.

The added manufacture cost of these components is negligible. I can say that this technology could save thousands in warranty exchanges from manufacturers and carriers. working in a repair center I can tell you that worn/broken charging ports are one of the top reasons for phone exchanges. Less exchanges means lowered expenses and overhead.
    03-20-2012 08:34 PM
    you have radiation going through you all the time, Both from man made items, and also from nature
    03-20-2012 08:34 PM
    Doesn't anyone remember ? The manufacturers are adding features to differentiate their products. That's why every new release is shrouded in mystery - most of the features are easy to copy and if all the manufacturers add the same features they become standards and there's very little advantage in being first. Like it or not, we're going to be seeing wireless charging on many of the new phones this year.
    03-20-2012 08:36 PM
    The added manufacture cost of these components is negligible. I can say that this technology could save thousands in warranty exchanges from manufacturers and carriers. working in a repair center I can tell you that worn/broken charging ports are one of the top reasons for phone exchanges. Less exchanges means lowered expenses and overhead.
    Sure I can see it from that perspective, Same time I can also see it as an excuse even sold as a separate charging base, etc as a reason to still charge more..

As far as the replacement and repair of USB ports, I am a heavy ROM flasher and constantly use my USB port and on have never had USB port probs on any of my devices even after 2 years of use. I think that comes down to how the individual uses their device determines the longevity of the ports.
    03-20-2012 09:36 PM
    Don't get too excited about the range.
    I work in emission certification and just yesterday I almost had to fail a wireless charger that has a range way less then 1 inch. It was nearly exceeding the FCC emissions limits for transmitter power. Anything with a range like that carrying any real wattage, would have a signal stregth well above the legal emissions limits.
    I don't see any way around it.
    03-20-2012 10:51 PM
    Same here. My Pre would overheat with all the radios on when it was on my Touchstone in my car. Of course that was in Vegas in the summer.

I can't believe its taken this long (Pre had it 2009) for someone else to ship inductive charging.
    03-21-2012 12:36 PM
    Same here. My Pre would overheat with all the radios on when it was on my Touchstone in my car. Of course that was in Vegas in the summer.

I can't believe its taken this long (Pre had it 2009) for someone else to ship inductive charging.
    It makes sense. The way it currently is is gimmick in my opinion. You still need to plug the charger into something, so it doesn't actually get rid of any cables as it claims, and the range on them is so small you still need to remember to place it on the charger. In addition, since it isn't directly plugged in, it doesn't know if there is something to charge or not, so it uses power 24/7 unlike the charging cable which only draws power if connected to a device with a not full charge.
    03-21-2012 01:12 PM
    The charging at 2 meters is BS
    No, in fact it is not. Back in 2005/6 I remember watching a demo from an MIT (?) professor who was working on inductive coupling. The demo consisted of powering a light bulb at some 10 feet (3 metres) or so. This is the main reason I'm disappointed in all of the wireless charging available right now. I want to be able to walk into my room or my office and have my phone/laptop/whatever start charging without me thinking about it.
    03-21-2012 01:18 PM

HAHAHA! I hope this brightens your day, whether you carry your phone in your pocket, or in a purse/backpack or somewhere, it still receives/transmits a signal. And unlike that power station 2 metres away, the cell tower is probably about a half mile or more away, and there is a 50% chance of it being on the opposite side of you compared to your phone, so those signals go through you still. On top of that, everyone else has a cell phone, so half of their signals go through you too. And anytime a phone is actively being used for a phone call/web surfing that signal becomes stronger/more constant. If you are afraid of what your phone will do to you while in your pocket and not in use, can you image what everyone's phones are doing to you right now? And the TV, and the radio, and the wifi networks?
    03-21-2012 01:24 PM
    I could be swayed either way. If the charging pad was small and the phones size unhindered by its addition, I'd be all for it; if not, I'd rather just stick to my wired charging.
    03-24-2012 08:46 PM
    the only way that this would work is if it was done through creating a magnetic field bridge then transmitting power to the phone, thus allowing longer ranges such as up to 2 meteters and also it wouldn't harm you at all, we're surrounded by a massive magnetic field 24/7
    03-25-2012 01:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD