Rumor: Specs blowout and release info

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a friend who is divulging info to me from who he claims to be a "decently high up" source at Samsung. I got this last night. Again, this is only rumor, take this with a grain of salt. I'm posting this simply because he is generally trustworthy and it's interesting to speculate. There's definitely some "duh" specs here.

-Revealed May 3rd (well, this has come true :) )
-4.7" 720p Super Amoled+ Screen
-16 and 32GB internal storage models, although he doubts the availablity of the 32GB in the US
-1GB ram
-8mp shooter on the back, does not protrude from the device. BSI, 1080p at 30fps, 720p at 60fps.
-big battery, "bigger than 2200mah"
-microSD support
-NFC
-thinner than GSII, described as "remarkably thin"'
-Will have capacitive buttons similar to Epic 4G Touch and HTC devices
-Will hit the U.S. "much sooner" than previous models, and will launch in Europe "less than one month" after announcement. "Sprint first" then "T-mo/ATT around the same time". He said we'll have it during the Summer for sure. No Verizon.
-Testers have had it in their hands for a while, albeit with a different form factor to prevent leaks.
-Every purported leak so far as been fake (no surprise)
-May not be called GSIII. Might be something like GS Next. Of course Sprint will have their way with the name :)

As for the processor, he said the initial Euro launch model will feature the A9 quad core 4412 Exynos, while the American Sprint launch will see the dual core 2ghz A15 Exynos (yes!). Several companies will be using the 4412 in their phones. Due to possible supply concerns, Sammy has accelerated production of the new A15 chip to use in their phones exclusively. A revised Euro version with the updated processor may become available down the line. It will also feature an improved 12mp shooter (1080p 60fps, 720p at 90fps!). It will be available around the late holiday season if so, and may see an early 2013 US release.

There WILL be a successor the Note, featuring the better camera and proc.

And that's it. Any questions for this guy? He's usually pretty good about responding on FB, although I don't wanna prod him too hard. Again, this is only a rumor, take it with a grain of salt.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh I love rumormongering. There's something about all the speculating and theorizing, and being wrong way more often than being right that always gets my blood pumping. :D

Your info does line up pretty well with some of the little bit of info we've seen thus far, so we shall see. But to me, it sounds too good to be true (as these rumors often do), mainly in the area of the dual A15 Exynos in the US variants. I'll believe that when I see it. Everything about the US specs are just too "perfect", which is probably a good thing otherwise we wouldn't get to be disappointed hah. Also, no Verizon? I just don't see how that could be possible this year.

Thanks for sharing. At minimum, it'll give us something to keep talking about, which is always a good thing. :D

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Good stuff.. At least one can take these "rumored" comments and dream can't they?

I like the mention of Sprint first... Bigger battery and other juicy specs... Lets hope most if not all come true :)

Again.. Its all rumor but it sure would be nice....

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
only thing i dont like is the thinness, it has to have some weight to it otherwise it just feels cheap, but defo gonna challenge iphone 5

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Although I'm not on Verizon, I sympathize, this phone will be awesome. (And it'll have to be to keep from getting the EVO LTE :) )

I'll ask him more details about Touchwiz. I'll update when he replies.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Release-Date-Mockup11.jpg

Will it be close....kinda like a note without the s pen?

Samsung-Galaxy-S3.jpg

Or more true to from like this? With capacitive buttons

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
If those rumors are even true, I'm excited beyond belief. Sprint getting it first? AWESOME! Please Please be true!!!

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Some more info he sent me after I asked some questions:

Sammy has really been focusing on slimness and power consumption with this thing. They're shooting for excellent battery life. All components were designed for this purpose - the camera sensor is slim and sips power, and the 32nm with their proprietary manufacturing tech is geared towards not only getting the first a15 to market, but also towards consuming %40 less power than previous. The Super Amoled+ HD is said to be stunning. He was not sure about the material of the phone, but said it was supposed to feel great in the hand, not "cheap" as some report with sammy devices. Wireless charging will be standard in the Korean market, but he's not sure about the rest of the world. It may come as an optional accessory in the rest of the world.

He said they really wanted to get the 5250 Exynos in there.

"They're really trying to get that in there ahead of schedule
The 4412 is around the same level as the S4 performance, possibly even a little less. It's a good chip, but the 5250 is astounding, especially GPU-wise
Especially in the face of Apple's A6 or whatever they shove in the iP5
They see that as the main competition, and really wanna stomp it out, theyre racing to get the chip in there and out the door this summer"

He did admit they he doesn't know too much about internals in general. He also said that there would be no 3D. Additionally, he said he hasn't heard anything about Verizon. He's not ruling out a possible Verizon launch, just saying that it's been quiet on that front. He doesn't know much about the rest of the world's launch schedule.

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I dont think they would release an updated version with a new chip in it, doesnt seem typical, if they want this to compete with the next rotten apple, they need to release the latest and greatest as soon as possible.

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the information. See if you can find out about these things:

1) Which carrier will be carrying it in Canada? I know we're a small market in the grand scheme of things.
2) Will the S3 be like the HTC One X for North America? Will we be getting the dual core 5250 LTE version over the quad core hspa+?

Thanks!! :)

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
He's didn't answer, although I included Canada in my question. I'm assuming he just doesn't know. Also, I think production availability, not LTE is the reason for the chipset difference. LTE is supported by both chipsets. One simply hasn't been in production long enough to be out as early as the phone is launching.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Well this just made me from definitely going with the HTC Evo 4G LTE to maybe going with it. The fact that the SGS3 may come with a dual-core A15 processor for North America would be great!. So essentially, if these specs were true, it would pretty much be a One X/Evo 4G LTE except with 720p SAMOLED+ instead of a 720p SLCD2 and a bigger battery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx