What's everybody think? Gonna have removable storage or not?
    04-17-2012 08:45 AM
    I don't think I need a phone with a MicroSD card anymore if they have at least 16 gigs. I am a firm believer of Cloud Storage and I can pretty much live with the Internet haha.
    04-17-2012 08:51 AM
    I will be disappointed if there's no SDcard.

MTP protocol bites the big one for transferring files. And if this things camera is as good, or hopefully better, than the Galaxy S2's camera, I will definitely be using it to take a lot of 1080p 30fps footage on trips. I need all the space I can get. And transferring 500MB - 1GB mp4's off of MTP is not a fun day for anyone

That said, internal storage doesn't need to be more than 16GB's like Speedygi said. I however disagree with cloud storage. Sure it's nice for somethings, like streaming your media files or backing up documents/photos/etc. But for somethings, like games and planned flights where you have no signal, it's important to have the option to load in an SDcard filled with your favorite movies in HD and have it there with you.

Either way, this device is going to rock. But let's hope for an SDcard
    04-17-2012 10:20 AM
    Also, let's hope Sammy makes it SDXC compatible. These have been out a while now. Time to step it up...
    dcvanderbush likes this.
    04-17-2012 10:48 AM
    Yeah, 128GB minimum of 20MB/sec SDcards would be awesome lol

Don't see that happening though.
    04-17-2012 10:52 AM
    Without expandable storage I'd definitely go thumbs down., some things I dont like clogging up all of my onboard space. It's one of the reasons I don't do iPhones, even if it had more space than what I can use on any other phone.
    04-17-2012 11:41 AM
    Unless 16gigs or more is offered on board, then definitely need external storage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    04-17-2012 12:20 PM
    Tough question Phil. The trend in Android very well may be in the early stages of sealed form factors, and deals with cloud storage providers like Dropbox. I'd have to think control over the form factor allows manufacturers to get slimmer, and do more things with the casing material, as seen with HTC's One X line. There may be a "well if Apple can do it so can we" mindset going on, and you can't deny that the mobile industry is moving towards the cloud. Time will tell.

I will say however, that I think Samsung will stick with the status quo here, and offer both a removable battery and SD card slot on their next Galaxy S device. Of course, because I said this, you all are doomed if you desire either of these features, as I'm almost always wrong.

Personally, I can live with a non-removable battery (based solely on my own typical usage pattern), but I do prefer the option to expand my internal storage, especially with how often I use my phone to shoot video these days.
    04-17-2012 12:31 PM
    Cloud storage is great, my issue is that you can only push files that are a maximum 150mb to the cloud. That's crap, I have lots of movies that are 300-500mb, but I can't cloud them. That's why the S3 needs to have an sd slot.

Also, I like having my stuff separate. Movies, pictures, music on the card and phone stuff (apps) on the phone. Look at the sd card like a hard drive partition.
    04-17-2012 02:09 PM
    I too would be fine with a non removable battery (as long as it's big enough) and no sd card slot, however, just because I like to one up my iPhone carrying friends (which are only girls, go figure) with the option of getting a bigger battery and adding a memory card, I really want them to include both. I have a 32 Gb card in my E4GT right now, and all it has on it is some music, like 4 GB worth. The internal storage, of which we only get 11 gb to begin with is busting at the seams due to all the games I have installed on the phone. I wish developers would give us the option to which "sd storage" we can install too, from what I have seen, it all just goes straight to the internal mass storage (not talking about the app storage where the main parts of an app reside). Also, is there a way to tell the camera app where to store the pics and videos?

Anyways, if it doesn't have a sd card slot and if you can't remove the battery, it won't be a deal breaker for me, but I do hope they will be included. We don't need more Android handset manufacturers follow Apples lead, they should, instead, differentiate themselves from Apple and use this differentiation and choice among devices as their advantage versus Apple, just as they have done in the past and still do so today.
    04-17-2012 02:10 PM
    I will be disappointed if there's no SDcard.

MTP protocol bites the big one for transferring files. And if this things camera is as good, or hopefully better, than the Galaxy S2's camera, I will definitely be using it to take a lot of 1080p 30fps footage on trips. I need all the space I can get. And transferring 500MB - 1GB mp4's off of MTP is not a fun day for anyone

That said, internal storage doesn't need to be more than 16GB's like Speedygi said. I however disagree with cloud storage. Sure it's nice for somethings, like streaming your media files or backing up documents/photos/etc. But for somethings, like games and planned flights where you have no signal, it's important to have the option to load in an SDcard filled with your favorite movies in HD and have it there with you.

Either way, this device is going to rock. But let's hope for an SDcard
    However you don't really pack your phone full of apps if you know you are in danger of your storage being totally filled up, do you? IMO I think one never reaches the full 16 gig just by loading all the essential apps (the ones you really use everyday) and there is always room left over for music and movies, even if you don't like cloud storage. It's not like you are going to want a certain app to be around if you don't need it anymore. Memory management is important.
    04-17-2012 02:24 PM
    However you don't really pack your phone full of apps if you know you are in danger of your storage being totally filled up, do you? IMO I think one never reaches the full 16 gig just by loading all the essential apps (the ones you really use everyday) and there is always room left over for music and movies, even if you don't like cloud storage. It's not like you are going to want a certain app to be around if you don't need it anymore. Memory management is important.
    All the "fancy" games, as I call them, put the videos and graphics data that they come with into that partition. As I mentioned above, my phone is almost full, I am to the point that I have to take games off and install them again later because I am running out of room, and this is with all my actual music residing on the sd card. With more and more high quality games coming out, 16 GB just won't cut it with us habitual gamers.
    snoopyandroid likes this.
    04-17-2012 02:35 PM
    Same here Manny. Especially my emulators. One Playstation game takes up nearly 1GB (RAW ISO.) Compound that with the fact that some games are multi-disk, and it starts to paint a pretty clear picture.

Then there's the fact like I said about partitioning off space to be used in Mass Storage. Unless you owned a device with no SDCard and experienced MTP first hand, you can't know how bad it is when it comes to making huge file transfers off your PC to your device.

Then again, if you're an advocate of accessing/uploading data at a slow rate determined by your internet connection I highly doubt MTP scares you.
    04-17-2012 03:24 PM
    I hope not.

I need a break from all the FUD sky is falling news about apps reading SD card data. I hope every Android phone from here on out uses ext with no removable storage.
    04-17-2012 04:04 PM
    I would have to have a interchangable battery, I ride a street bike and have to have that ability to just pop in a charged battery when needed. I have to have a sd slot because where i live there is no cell service and spotty service till i get to town no matter who is my provider. I carry 3 extra cards with me with movies and music on them plus i dont trust cloud storage. if it dosent have both this will be a deal breaker for me.
    04-17-2012 05:30 PM
    An micro sd card slot is nice and saves me from worrying, but its not a deal breaker. I also dont mind if the device does not have a removable battery, as long as the battery life can survive a full day.
    04-17-2012 06:18 PM
    I hear ya , Manny, and I respect that train of thought.

I so look forward to Android central putting out a poll actually asking how much non-removable memory we deem as necessary.
    04-18-2012 02:26 AM
    Looking at the earlier version of Samsung Galaxy S series they had micro SD card slot then SIII might also have the microSD card slot.
    04-19-2012 02:03 AM
    Looking at the earlier version of Samsung Galaxy S series they had micro SD card slot then SIII might also have the microSD card slot.
    But you must also look where the industry as a whole is going. Non removable batteries are the new thing now, and looking at the HTC One, so is not having a sd card. Chalk that up to the ever thinner getting phones, I think 7mm is thin enough, any thinner will make it uncomfortable to hold the phone.
    04-19-2012 02:40 AM
    As long as Google keeps internal storage high and removable batteries in their Nexus devices, I'm good.
    04-19-2012 03:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD