MEIZU announces the first Exynos-powered quad-core smartphone

So if Meizu will have the first quad core exynos powered phone, why would Samsung, the people that created that chip, stick it into it's new flagship phone? I mean, here they are, proudly announcing to be the first ones to have that chip in their phone, even before Samsung can announce it in the GS3! I can just imagine what the tech press is going to say, calling the GS3 an "also ran" or "late comer" to the quad core exynos world.

I am just thinking out loud really..... what do you guys and gals think?
    04-17-2012 02:23 PM
    I still say Europe is getting the quad and NA is getting the dual, but that's just me.
    04-17-2012 02:26 PM
    Well, according my source, it does. That phone, among others, he said will sort of supply-constrain the 4412. Sammy won't have enough for the massive amount of GSIIIs they're planning on pushing. That, along with the desire to beat the S4 in performance, definitely points to at least a slightly later American counterpart having the 5 series A15. Sammy may be pushing their production of it up to get it exclusively into their phone. The jump from A9 to A15 is massive.
    04-17-2012 02:56 PM
    Yeah going to an A15 powered phone will really make it stick out from the crowd. If they can pull that off, along with all the other expected specs, nothing will be able to keep up with it and it will be the ultimate homerun for Samsung!
    04-17-2012 03:04 PM
    Well, I haven't seen any benchmarks between the 4412 and the 5250 let alone the A9 vs S4 or A15 vs S4. At this time, I'm hearing/reading that the 5250 is the best.
    04-17-2012 03:06 PM
    Isn't the One X an A15? I could've sworn I saw a benchmark on Anandtech of it annihilating the competition in single and multi-threaded applications.

Also, really hoping your speculation is true OP. I'd love to have a faster dual core than a slower quad. Until Android apps are more multicore friendly, there's no point other than to trick gullible people with marking number hype. "Our product has x cores, thus it's better than this guy's product with y cores"
    04-17-2012 03:20 PM
    The A15 architecture brings a huge performance boost over the A9 architecture. We can see this in the difference between the A9-like S3 Snapdragon in the sensation and the A15-like S4 Snapdragon in the One X. Benchmarks wise, the S4 smokes everything. It leaves last year's Exynos in the dust, and handily stomps the Tegra 3 in all but GPU performance.

The A9 Exynos 4412 quadcore is a nice chip, but probably won't quite catch the S4 (theoretically speaking). The A15 Exynos 5250 dualcore, however, will smoke the competition. The Mali 604 GPU will be an absolute monster. I've really, really got my fingers crossed for the A15. The performance difference is too big to justify not putting it in there.
    04-17-2012 03:24 PM
    Isn't the One X an A15? I could've sworn I saw a benchmark on Anandtech of it annihilating the competition in single and multi-threaded applications.

Also, really hoping your speculation is true OP. I'd love to have a faster dual core than a slower quad. Until Android apps are more multicore friendly, there's no point other than to trick gullible people with marking number hype. "Our product has x cores, thus it's better than this guy's product with y cores"
    The only live One X I have seen reviewed was the international version running a Tegra 3 which is based on the A9, is a quadcore chip plus a fifth light duty companion core. We will see how the S4 fares when One X comes out on At& t. The One S already has the S4 but since it's running at qhd resolution it won't be an apples to apples comparison with other phones running at 720p resolution. The early S4 also uses the old Adreno 225 gpu that was also found in the Evo 3d, so the full performance of the S4 won't come to pass until the later versions of the chip will come out with the Adreno 305 doing graphics duty.
    04-17-2012 05:36 PM
    It's still too early to tell, but here is how I'm seeing things shaping up for 2012's flagships ...

Exynos 5250 Dual A15 > Krait S4 (MSM8960) > Tegra 3 > Exynos 4412 Quad A9

One issue with the S4 is that is still uses the Adreno 2xx GPU architecture, and the Adreno 225 in the MSM8960 still barely beats the Mali-400 in the GSII in many instances. Qualcomm will probably get a better GPU in there later in the year though.

Of course, these are all benchmarks, so you have to take all this with a grain. Does it cut through all the software like butter, and probably do it for the next couple of years? Yes? Then it's good.

edit: I forgot to mention TI's new OMAP chip, which may best them all for this year's designs.
    04-17-2012 06:53 PM
    Does this chip have LTE support?
    04-17-2012 10:57 PM
    Yes, it is to suppose to, and I read some where that Sammy is building it's own LTE chip.
    matt0715 likes this.
    04-17-2012 11:25 PM
    Yes it does, both do, the 4 series quad core as well as the 5 series dual core.
    04-18-2012 09:52 AM
    Maaaan, I want that 5250 so bad >_<

I can't help but feel all the rumors are building up to a major disappointment though. I mean, Samsung can only deliver so much of an improvement over an 8-12 month period.

The fact that they may likely cram a Super AMOLED Plus 720p screen in this baby is reason enough for me to be ecstatic. But the thought of all the other stuff is just omg! Can't wait!
    04-18-2012 09:55 AM
    I hope Samsung uses the 5250. There's no way they would allow another company to use their quadcore before if Samsung intended to use it too. They know full well they will be so far ahead of everyone else with the dualcore. Galaxy S III + Exynos 5250= GAME OVER
    04-18-2012 11:07 AM
    Regardless of which engine is under the hood I'm expecting great things from the SGSIII... All previous SGS have been very successful, I expect the same here...
    04-18-2012 11:09 AM
    Then ARM up and announces a quad Cortex-A15 chip yesterday.

ARM Announces Cortex-A15 Quad-Core Hard Macro - ARM

When will the madness stop?
    04-18-2012 12:48 PM
    Then ARM up and announces a quad Cortex-A15 chip yesterday.

ARM Announces Cortex-A15 Quad-Core Hard Macro - ARM

When will the madness stop?
    Hopefully never! Lol
    04-18-2012 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD