05-01-2012 01:16 PM
47 12
tools
    Isn't the Krait S4 based off the same architecture as the Cortex A15?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Qualcomm licenses the instruction set but makes their own custom architecture. TI, Samsung and the others base their designs off of the ARM reference design.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Android Central Forums
    JayWill likes this.
    04-25-2012 07:42 PM
    Qualcomm licenses the instruction set but makes their own custom architecture. TI, Samsung and the others base their designs off of the ARM reference design.

Ahh I see. Thanks for clarifying. I had read AnandTech's review of the S4 and knew I had seen information about licensing, and bits about the A15 discussed in the article, but I had trouble putting it all together. Usually my head hurts after reading AnandTech articles, so I try not to dig too deep into trying to understand what I'm reading, or risk permanent damage.
    04-25-2012 07:53 PM
    Is the S3 going to have the A15 or the S4?
    04-25-2012 08:09 PM
    Is the S3 going to have the A15 or the S4?
    Nobody has an A15-based chip currently shipping...

04-25-2012 08:21 PM
    I don't think I care what chip it has. As long as it performs exceptionally, I'll be down for whatever.

All the benchmArks in the world don't mean a thing. I just want smooth performance and great hardware.
    randyw likes this.
    04-25-2012 08:28 PM
    Nobody has an A15-based chip currently shipping...

Sorry, I should have clarified. The rumour was that the S3 is getting the quad core A15. My question is:

Is it still rumoured to get the A15 OR
    Is it now rumoured to get the S4?
    04-25-2012 08:32 PM
    Sorry, I should have clarified. The rumour was that the S3 is getting the quad core A15. My question is:

Is it still rumoured to get the A15 OR
    Is it now rumoured to get the S4?
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=169675

04-25-2012 08:37 PM
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=169675

Great, another "game changing phone" ala the One X and ANOTHER fail ala the One X.

They might as well call it the Galaxy One S3!!!!

I'll wait until May3rd to be disappointed.
    04-25-2012 08:41 PM
    Here is why I'm still hoping we'll see the A15 chip put into some kinda device (whether it's a tablet or a phone I don't know):
    If you go to the official Exynos minisite located here Samsung Exynos, and click under products, you will see the 5 series processor listed along with the 4 series dual and quad versions of the 32nm processor.

Also if you go see more details on each of those processors on the main site (Exynos 5 and Exynos 4) both have their production status listed as "Customer Sample". Now if Samsung had both processors at the same stage of production, why would they use the A9 SOC on one of their products and not do anything with the more modern SOC.
    poosh2010 likes this.
    04-27-2012 07:12 PM
    Here is why I'm still hoping we'll see the A15 chip put into some kinda device (whether it's a tablet or a phone I don't know):
    I wish you were right, I really do... but at this point it seems like Samsung has been letting enough information out so that we wouldn't be disappointed hoping for the 5250.
    04-27-2012 08:58 PM
    You're right. They did pretty much say which processor they were using. I'll keep my expectations realistic.
    04-27-2012 09:51 PM
    I know everyone wants the latest tech but you do understand the latest tech costs more. I don't know if A15 processors are ready or not but Samsung can definitely do well without releasing that this year. Look at Apple, it's not about the latest tech but the customer experience is a form that guarantees the most profit. Ultimately people will forget about the processor if the phone runs smooth and it gets excellent battery life. win7 phones still use single core but no one cries that they are a slouch
    04-29-2012 10:43 AM
    I'm not overly concerned with the specific CPU either. As long as its smooth in web browsing etc I don't push my phone too much. I do notice slowdown on my epic when running navigation and currents and chrome together, and have to manually shut down programs. So something smoother would be nice.
    04-29-2012 12:04 PM
    Originally I did want the a15 stuff... But these benchmarks coming out show that the 4412 is a beast
    04-29-2012 02:53 PM
    Originally I did want the a15 stuff... But these benchmarks coming out show that the 4412 is a beast
    In the US, we would be happy with 4412
    04-29-2012 10:36 PM
    I'm just going to put this here.

S4 puts a hurting on Tegra 3 and it's relevant since the Tegra 3 and Exynos 4 Quad both share the A9 architecture. Major difference will be GPU.

Don't put much stock in quadrant, though, honestly.
    04-30-2012 03:36 PM
    I'm just going to put this here.

S4 puts a hurting on Tegra 3 and it's relevant since the Tegra 3 and Exynos 4 Quad both share the A9 architecture. Major difference will be GPU.

Don't put much stock in quadrant, though, honestly.
    Ugh, I just made a new post out of that comparison, feel free to delete it.
    04-30-2012 04:11 PM
    Thought this would be relevant since this became "S4 over A9" instead of "A15 over A9" lol

S4 hardware breakdown
    05-01-2012 02:17 AM
    Thought this would be relevant since this became "S4 over A9" instead of "A15 over A9" lol

S4 hardware breakdown
    Indeed it did. I checked out some more comparisons between the two and the Tegra 3 comes out on top in most of them. :-(
    05-01-2012 02:29 AM
    Indeed it did. I checked out some more comparisons between the two and the Tegra 3 comes out on top in most of them. :-(
    Which ones? The video that was posted on the blog showed the S4 version besting the Tegra 3 version in everything except quadrant (which is old and dated anyway). Even animations looked a little faster.
    05-01-2012 10:14 AM
    nearly all the videos ive seen... show tegra 3 to be a piece of junk... Cant believe they put the s4 in the one s and not the x
    05-01-2012 11:06 AM
    nearly all the videos ive seen... show tegra 3 to be a piece of junk... Cant believe they put the s4 in the one s and not the x
    Because people instantly think more cores=better. I wouldn't call Tegra 3 junk, I just don't find it to be cutting edge. Take what we already have, add more cores...Sure, they had to perform some handiwork to make that happen, but it isn't inherently impressive. It's like the old school V8 (not that V8s can't be technologically impressive) vs. a twin turbo'd V6 that has a whole range of engineering feats. The per core performance of the S4 is way ahead of the Tegra 3. Tegra 3 can do better on benchmarks that emphasize extra cores. But the majority of the user experience on any phone is swiping around homescreens, checking facebook, checking email, using other basic apps, and in general performing tasks that don't really require multiple cores. I think that's why in the video the S4 looks to navigate around the homescreens and app drawer more smoothly than Tegra 3 does. Those are tasks that are probably only using 1-2 cores on either version, and in that case the S4 just gets it done much faster.
    05-01-2012 01:16 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD