A15 over A9

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So I've been reading alot about this phone and I was wondering what makes the A15 dual core faster than the A9 quad core. It seemed to me that more cores = better. If anyone could enlighten me on this, that'd be awesome.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Im so ignorant when it comes to the chips and speeds lol. What I do (which seems like it some what makes sense but actually doesnt) is multiply the chip number and the amount of cores. so A15 times 2 = 30 and A9 times 4 = 36 haha.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Put simply, they are different architectures. Both are developed by ARM, but manufactured by many different companies. A15 is newer than A9, so it brings a host of improvements to the table. Performance will be greatly improved, and battery life should be better. Manufacturing process also shrinks to 28nm.

There currently aren't any A15-based dual cores in production that we know of, but a number of companies have announced them for the near future (think late this year/early next year).

Currently the most technologically advanced SoC shipping in a phone/tablet is the Snapdragon S4. It has the newest architecture that Qualcomm has developed, the Krait CPU.

From what we've seen it's more than enough to match the Tegra 3, which is a quad-core chip with A9-based CPU's in it. Where things are more neck and neck is in gaming performance, which has a ton to do with GPU. nVidia also has the Tegrazone, which are specific games and apps written specifically for the Tegra architecture.

Reactions: Lolanerd

Eaglemaniac

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I cant believe that Samsung is really considering an A9 when they already have A15s. If this info is true, Samsung's mobile team needs to be fired. You have the first chance in 5 yrs to produce a product that will be able to go toe to toe with Apple and you dont put your best foot forward? If Samsung needs to delay the phone till the fall then do it but atleast give it your best shot and see what happens. Releasing a dual core a15 probably puts samsung ahead of the competition for another 1.5yrs. Do it. No question. Wow the world right now or get crushed in the fall by the iPhone 5

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I cant believe that Samsung is really considering an A9 when they already have A15s. If this info is true, Samsung's mobile team needs to be fired. You have the first chance in 5 yrs to produce a product that will be able to go toe to toe with Apple and you dont put your best foot forward? If Samsung needs to delay the phone till the fall then do it but atleast give it your best shot and see what happens. Releasing a dual core a15 probably puts samsung ahead of the competition for another 1.5yrs. Do it. No question. Wow the world right now or get crushed in the fall by the iPhone 5

I agree. Like I said, if they put the A9 in this phone and it's close to the power of the S4, then maybe. I like the X, but it's got it's issues as well (non removable battery, no sd card slot, 1800 mah battery). If the S3 has these specs (removable battery, sd card slot) and a bigger battery, but has the A9, I may get the S3 over the X.

seeingwhite

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Put simply, they are different architectures. Both are developed by ARM, but manufactured by many different companies. A15 is newer than A9, so it brings a host of improvements to the table. Performance will be greatly improved, and battery life should be better. Manufacturing process also shrinks to 28nm.

There currently aren't any A15-based dual cores in production that we know of, but a number of companies have announced them for the near future (think late this year/early next year).

Currently the most technologically advanced SoC shipping in a phone/tablet is the Snapdragon S4. It has the newest architecture that Qualcomm has developed, the Krait CPU.

From what we've seen it's more than enough to match the Tegra 3, which is a quad-core chip with A9-based CPU's in it. Where things are more neck and neck is in gaming performance, which has a ton to do with GPU. nVidia also has the Tegrazone, which are specific games and apps written specifically for the Tegra architecture.

Good post. The only correction I would offer is that Samsung has reported (Earlier this year, I think) that their 5250 was already in production at their Texas plant. The questions is what devices the chips will go into and when.

EDIT: They may have been referring to sampling.

Reactions: frozndevl

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Here's a few articles I found on this.

AnandTech - Samsung Exynos 5250 Begins Sampling

Exynos 5250 SoC goes into mass production in Q2, tablets get it first - GSMArena.com news

Samsung begins sampling the Exynos 5250, mass production kicks off in Q2 2012

This one is a newer and rather interesting article.
A closer look at Samsung’s killer 2 GHz Exynos 5250 | Android and Me

Anyways, do a search for Exynos 5250 on Google and you'll come with lots of stuff to read, most of it repetitive after a while.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
A15 is not happening this year. I don't know why people are expecting it to happen now.

Exactly, which seriously worries me about this new Samsung device, whether it be the SIII or the SII Plus.

The Snapdragon S4 is already showing how powerful it is, and to be honest, a quad core Exynos doesn't seem that enticing at this point in time. Time will tell, but I am fairly confident this is going to be a somewhat disappointing release, with much of the disappointment coming from overhype.

I'll still get it, it HAS to be a lot better than this Thunderbolt lol ready to chuck this phone at a wall because it drives me nuts, but man I was really hoping for an almighty Galaxy S III with every category of features that makes a "smartphone" get topped and be the king device of 2012. It's looking like it probably won't make that title :(

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
With such huge hype for the release of this as yet unknown spec'd phone, I don't think Samsung will disappoint anyone. They HAVE to come out swinging and blow us out of the water with this release. They can't afford to have a big letdown now and then release an S3+ phone after the new iphone 5 is released. Let's face it, Android users will voice their displeasure over a crappy release by not buying the damn thing, we're not like apple fan boys who gobbled up the 4s after the 4 because of an evolutionary update instead of the revolutionary update they were all expecting.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
With such huge hype for the release of this as yet unknown spec'd phone, I don't think Samsung will disappoint anyone. They HAVE to come out swinging and blow us out of the water with this release. They can't afford to have a big letdown now and then release an S3+ phone after the new iphone 5 is released. Let's face it, Android users will voice their displeasure over a crappy release by not buying the damn thing, we're not like apple fan boys who gobbled up the 4s after the 4 because of an evolutionary update instead of the revolutionary update they were all expecting.

I totally agree. Already now you can find articles talking about analysts saying the iphone 5 will be the greatest update ever. Samsung has the technology, and they have to beat apple to the punch and not come out with an incremental update now and an iphone beater in the last quarter, there will be too many pissed if customers, not to mention how they will lose all the momentum they managed to build up.

ldejavul

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Remembering the hype on the 4S. Everyone overhyped the phone. It was a huge disappointment although everyone said. "With such a long time between releases they better blow us out the water or noone will buy it". Nope and with the fact the it was just barely an upgrade it still sold like crazy. If anything it taught samsung that they can do what they want with this phone and it will still sell. Nerds are Nerds. Slap a 3 on it and it will sell. Nerds want the latest thing.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If TI won't have the OMAP 5 out til later this year, there's no way Samsung can work that much faster and have an A15 based chip ready almost 6 months sooner. Yes, I would love to see it. I just think realistically we'll be looking at a die shrink for the chip in the new galaxy. Also keep in mind that the Exynos was the fastest dual core last year, so if they make it a quad-core with a die shrink it'll be highly competitive.

The reason everybody loves the Snapdragon S4 is because the radios are on die. So LTE shouldn't be a battery hog. Nvidia won't have LTE built on to Tegra 3 until later this year, so unless Samsung does Qualcomm is the only option for power efficiency right now.

How bout this one...the new galaxy in the US will maybe have the Snapdragon in it? Just throwing that out there. Pure speculation. HTC did it for LTE. Samsung might also.

T.phillips39

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
In my dreams, I'm hoping all the hype, all the rumor, and all the speculation saying that it'll be quad core 4412, lead to Samsung to do a complete 180 on may 3rd. They'll be like "psych! You thought it was gonna be the 4412 but its really the 5250! Gotcha es!!!".... Then I wake up and realize it ain't gonna happen.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
If TI won't have the OMAP 5 out til later this year, there's no way Samsung can work that much faster and have an A15 based chip ready almost 6 months sooner. Yes, I would love to see it. I just think realistically we'll be looking at a die shrink for the chip in the new galaxy. Also keep in mind that the Exynos was the fastest dual core last year, so if they make it a quad-core with a die shrink it'll be highly competitive.

The reason everybody loves the Snapdragon S4 is because the radios are on die. So LTE shouldn't be a battery hog. Nvidia won't have LTE built on to Tegra 3 until later this year, so unless Samsung does Qualcomm is the only option for power efficiency right now.

How bout this one...the new galaxy in the US will maybe have the Snapdragon in it? Just throwing that out there. Pure speculation. HTC did it for LTE. Samsung might also.

I read that too regarding the Snapdragon in the S3, but I also read that Samsung was developing their own LTE chip.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
In my dreams, I'm hoping all the hype, all the rumor, and all the speculation saying that it'll be quad core 4412, lead to Samsung to do a complete 180 on may 3rd. They'll be like "psych! You thought it was gonna be the 4412 but its really the 5250! Gotcha es!!!".... Then I wake up and realize it ain't gonna happen.

I do not think the 5250 is going to happen either, but I will be happy with the quad core 4412 and it will be new phone with hopefully a lot new features.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user