HSPA+ version = quad-core Exynos, LTE version = dual-core S4

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
We're hearing this from multiple reliable sources. Looks like it'll be a similar deal to the HTC One X.

Seems quad-core Exynos doesn't have built-in LTE, so Sammy's opted for the dual-core Snapdragon S4 instead. For the record, the S4 is still a hell of a chip, and Samsung does a great job keeping things responsive in its software, whatever's inside.

Reactions: matt0715

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
So this would essentially mean that the AT&T, Sprint and Verizon variants (if it comes to those carriers) would all be dual-core S4 since those are all LTE networks now. T Mobile and any other smaller domestic carriers, as well as the international versions, would be the only quad core exynos versions?

Brandon

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So this would essentially mean that the AT&T, Sprint and Verizon variants (if it comes to those carriers) would all be dual-core S4 since those are all LTE networks now. T Mobile and any other smaller domestic carriers, as well as the international versions, would be the only quad core exynos versions?

Brandon

Maybe...remember the T-Mobile SGSII had the Snapdragon S3 because of HSPA+.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Android Central Forums

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Makes sense. I would imagine all US carriers to receive their own version. Even Verizon. As long as its LTE they won't allow themselves to be left out.

Especially considering they passed on the SGS 2.

Here's hoping.....

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
How so? That would mean that it has the same chip as the One X.

I think he means that Samsung had a chance to show off it's iphone 5 killing phone with it's kick-ass specs and kick-ass processor. Now, all they've done is release a new phone with the same specs as One X. How is that advanced? How is that inovative?

I don't care if it's battery is a little bigger/better or the screen a little better.

If they release this phone with the S4, I will be VERY disappointed.

However, I will wait until May 3rd to see what they release. I'm starting to hate all the rumours. :(

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
If this is true, epic fail by Samsung and I am going to HTC.

Why do you say that? Its not like they can pull these chips out of their rear ends. These things take time to design, develop and manufacture. Blame NVidia for not integrating LTE into Tegra 3. They probably figured manufacturers would use separate LTE radios, but with the battle for thinness and battery life, NOPE! I'm sure the GSIII will still be an awesome phone. The only reason I'm not getting it is because I don't want to wait till September/October to get a new phone. Got my sights set on the Evo LTE!

Eaglemaniac

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I think he means that Samsung had a chance to show off it's iphone 5 killing phone with it's kick-ass specs and kick-ass processor. Now, all they've done is release a new phone with the same specs as One X. How is that advanced? How is that inovative?

I don't care if it's battery is a little bigger/better or the screen a little better.

If they release this phone with the S4, I will be VERY disappointed.

However, I will wait until May 3rd to see what they release. I'm starting to hate all the rumours. :(

+1

Eaglemaniac

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Why do you say that? Its not like they can pull these chips out of their rear ends. These things take time to design, develop and manufacture. Blame NVidia for not integrating LTE into Tegra 3. They probably figured manufacturers would use separate LTE radios, but with the battle for thinness and battery life, NOPE! I'm sure the GSIII will still be an awesome phone. The only reason I'm not getting it is because I don't want to wait till September/October to get a new phone. Got my sights set on the Evo LTE!

Huh? Nvidia has nothing to do with this. This is a colossal failure by Samsung. Hmmm, let's see, TWO months ago, Apple released a product that can do what a Samsung product 3 months later cannot. That's a joke. Again, there is no need to rush this product if it isn't as good as they can possibly make it.

Kutuzov13

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
HTC did the same thing with the One X. It has a Tegra 3 inside everywhere but on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint in the US. The US version will come with the Snapdragon 4 processor.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Snapdragon S4 absolutely kicks ass. Nvidia pushed tegra 3 out before lte integration was ready. Which was smart.

Blame US carriers for deploying these fast high speed data networks and needing devices that work on them. :)

I'm no qualcomm fan boy (I loved the exynos in the sgsii), but facts are facts. The S4 is awesome.

Eaglemaniac

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
S4 is nice. I wish Samsung had the guts to challenge the field by releasing the first a15 chip. I fully expect Apple to do this and continue their air of dominance.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't bet the farm on getting any information about the US variants on May 3rd, and more specifically, the chips inside. They may just announce the global GSM version, like last year.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084