04-27-2012 03:41 PM
107 12345
tools
    However, current benchmarks show that the quad exynos is better in every way than the S4. Therefore, it looks more Nvidia dropped the ball more than Qualcomm being inovative.
    Benchmarks don't show battery consumption. Qualcomm is definitely innovative in that the S4 includes LTE on die. Nobody ever said they took the performance crown. It trades blows with the Tegra 3. I won't take benchmark results (being almost worthless anyway) from an unreleased chip in an unreleased phone as seriously as most people.

Also, I'm pretty sure just about everybody expects the Exynos to be the fastest chip (including me), but that doesn't make it the best chip. The S4 is fast enough to make Android smooth and play all the games I want to play effortlessly.

Not a word about LTE. F!
    You noticed that, huh?
    bplewis24 likes this.
    04-25-2012 11:54 PM
    TWO months ago, Apple released a product that can do what a Samsung product 3 months later cannot. That's a joke.
    What product? The new iPad? If you're referring to it doing quad-core and LTE, that's the GPU that's quad core and not the CPU. And it can do LTE because it has a larger form factor with space for a separate LTE baseband if necessary. The GSIII would be thicker if it included a quad-core CPU SoC and a dedicated LTE baseband.

Brandon
    04-26-2012 10:05 AM
    The reviews for the one s as well as the one X were mostly positive eventhough there were complaints of sluggishness to be heard. Whether this was due to overly sensitive reviewers or the chip or ics or combination of all is hard to tell. The 225 is slightly better than the 220 but it's not as fast as the 305 which is supposed to ship later in the year.

My point though is that the gs2 was a big step over all the other phones that were out there at the same time, but putting a s4 in there for the US Version is a bit of a letdown. Granted, I never got to play with a snapdragon powered gs2 but based on the video reviews I have seen, the exynos version was definitely faster.

One more and we will know more.
    Don't forget Sense 4.0.
    04-26-2012 10:06 AM
    What product? The new iPad? If you're referring to it doing quad-core and LTE, that's the GPU that's quad core and not the CPU. And it can do LTE because it has a larger form factor with space for a separate LTE baseband if necessary. The GSIII would be thicker if it included a quad-core CPU SoC and a dedicated LTE baseband.

Brandon
    And the laptop size battery to make up for the extra battery drain that came with that setup.

Don't forget Sense 4.0.
    Not sure what difference Sense 4.0 makes as far as the SoC is concerned? It's definitely not as resource intensive is Sense 3.x if that's what you're referring to.
    04-26-2012 10:13 AM
    FYI, BGR is stating that HTC will release a quadcore krait with Adreno 320 in the Fall. So 2 months after release of S3, it will be pretty much irrelevant. Its becoming clear that HTC brought their A-game this year.
    04-26-2012 10:22 AM
    i REALLY hope that the north american version doesnt get a s4... or lose the home button. 2 things that happend with the galaxy note. was gonna get it, then got a crappier processer and lost the home button.
    04-26-2012 10:37 AM
    FYI, BGR is stating that HTC will release a quadcore krait with Adreno 320 in the Fall. So 2 months after release of S3, it will be pretty much irrelevant. Its becoming clear that HTC brought their A-game this year.
    That's old news. Qualcomm has already said as much themselves. This is because they want to power the Win8 tablets.

i REALLY hope that the north american version doesnt get a s4... or lose the home button. 2 things that happend with the galaxy note. was gonna get it, then got a crappier processer and lost the home button.
    Blame the carriers for having such screwed up frequencies here. The home button I can't explain...probably the carriers again.
    04-26-2012 10:50 AM
    I'm confident Sprint will make some improvements, like they did with the EVO LTE and the Epic 4G Touch
    04-26-2012 11:39 AM
    I'm confident Sprint will make some improvements, like they did with the EVO LTE and the Epic 4G Touch
    Does your source have any info on which processor will be in US LTE versions?
    04-26-2012 11:42 AM
    We're pretty confident about what SoC will be in US versions. See THIS. It only makes sense based on history and what we've seen from other handset makers.
    04-26-2012 12:01 PM
    That makes sense. Doubtful the 4412 can match the S4 in the CPU department. However, the S4 falls way short in the GPU category, at least for the time being.
    04-26-2012 12:07 PM
    The quad core is for tablets and Samsung has the Exynos 5 to battle that one. They said they're just going to stick a better GPU along with the S4 Dual Core next...

Then the Quad Core Krait will come months after that. You're looking more into next year with a quad core krait phone. By then Samsung will probably have a higher clocked Exynos 4 to match it or the Exynos 5.

They're all on the same page, it'll go back and forth like that.
    04-26-2012 12:09 PM
    The quad core is for tablets and Samsung has the Exynos 5 to battle that one. They said they're just going to stick a better GPU along with the S4 Dual Core next...

Then the Quad Core Krait will come months after that. You're looking more into next year with a quad core krait phone. By then Samsung will probably have a higher clocked Exynos 4 to match it or the Exynos 5.

They're all on the same page, it'll go back and forth like that.
    The first Exynos 5 is dual-core....so it'll compete more on a per core basis with the S4, but a quad-core S4 will still out perform it. Also, with the expected jump in performance to the Adreno 3xx all GPU's will be to the point where the screen resolution needs to jump up to take advantage of the capabilities. Also keep in mind that each GPU is slightly different, and has to run a set number of instructions to be able to be in and Android device. Most are capable of far more, but nothing is written to take advantage of it. Which is (again) why nVidia has an advantage. Hardware is nothing without software.
    04-26-2012 12:19 PM
    Alrighty then...time to get friendly with the S4. Guess I am going to go watch some One S and One X (AT&T version) to get friendly with this thing.
    04-26-2012 12:19 PM
    ok guys, help me understand this: What makes the U.S. version better than other phones already available? It's screen probably won't be as good as the HOX; its processor would be on par; its camera would probably not be as good as the HOX; Sammy's battery would probably be better but I like HTC's UI a lot. What in the world!?

We had so much expectations and this is like a nightmare coming true lol
    04-26-2012 12:34 PM
    I hate to be an arrogant SOB, but I called this yesterday... See my personal blog here.

Anyway I think that this is important, because as I wrote, I think it will level the playing field between the One X and the GS3. The GS2 beat the pants off of the Sensation last year, with HTC using Qualcomm and Samsung using their own in house Exynos chip, but now things are different.

Simply put, most of the internals between the devices will be the same, and the main differentiating factors will be based on design quality, camera, and user experience. While I am sure that the Galaxy S 3 in the US will be better than the One S in the US, it may not be better than the One X in the US.
    04-26-2012 12:35 PM
    I hate to be an arrogant SOB, but I called this yesterday... See my personal blog here.

Anyway I think that this is important, because as I wrote, I think it will level the playing field between the One X and the GS3. The GS2 beat the pants off of the Sensation last year, with HTC using Qualcomm and Samsung using their own in house Exynos chip, but now things are different.

Simply put, most of the internals between the devices will be the same, and the main differentiating factors will be based on design quality, camera, and user experience. While I am sure that the Galaxy S 3 in the US will be better than the One S in the US, it may not be better than the One X in the US.
    Why do you think that the S3 will not be better than the One X?
    04-26-2012 12:38 PM
    Try not to wrench your arm out of it's socket patting yourself on the back.
    04-26-2012 12:39 PM
    While I am sure that the Galaxy S 3 in the US will be better than the One S in the US, it may not be better than the One X in the US.
    Seeing as how we no nothing else about the S3 other than the processor and it's the same as what's in the X, your statement "it may not be better than the One X in the US" is moot.

Once we find out the specs on May 3rd (and not before through rumours), then you can make such a statement, not yet.
    04-26-2012 12:42 PM
    ok guys, help me understand this: What makes the U.S. version better than other phones already available? It's screen probably won't be as good as the HOX; its processor would be on par; its camera would probably not be as good as the HOX; Sammy's battery would probably be better but I like HTC's UI a lot. What in the world!?

We had so much expectations and this is like a nightmare coming true lol
    Samsung has been known for having excellent cameras. That might actually be better, especially if they can nail low light performance. The screen is subjective. I prefer LCD over amoled because of color accuracy, personally, and I can deal with not quite as inky blacks for it. LCD is also brighter in general. But AMOLED is really good with contrast ratios and dark blacks (think shadowy areas in movies).

Agreed. It hinges on design for me. (although, in the effort of full disclosure, I've already decided on the One X) I also want to see browser performance side by side. Samsung had an advantage because they backported a lot of their Honeycomb browser to the SGSII, which is why it screamed in browser performance. With ICS they all have hardware acceleration, so I'm curious to see if Samsung pulled any tricks to improve performance even more.

Why do you think that the S3 will not be better than the One X?
    SLCD2 is stunning. Samsung needs to work some magic to get SAMOLED in any form to be as bright.

Maybe we'll see Touchwiz 5 and be totally blown away and everyone will want. It's possible, right?
    04-26-2012 12:49 PM
    It seems pretty certain that the US version will end up with a Snapdragon S4. That's fine - but can we still hope for a better GPU than the Adreno 225 or no chance?

With regards to the HTC One X...I can't see how I would buy a phone with only 10GB of storage space...total fail there. That won't even hold all the MP3's I have on my BlackBerry Torch 9800 at the moment...
    04-26-2012 12:51 PM
    @Blitz I'm not saying that the One X will definitely be better tan the GS3, but here are a few things. 1) HTC hardware is usually better built than Samsung. 2) The screens may be similar, but if the GS3 uses the HD Super AMOLED and not a + variation, the One X display will be better. 3) HTCs sense is toned down and is now a lean mean fighting machine, we don't know what Samsungs TouchWiz looks like for the GS3 so it may be bloated. 4) Samsung has better cameras. Period. 5) HTC works better with Qualcomm, it shows. The first GS2 using a Qualcomm chip (T-Mobiles) wasn't quite as well optimized). It required a learning curve, and Samsung improved with the Skyrocket and Note. That does not however reflect on their engineering prowness with the S4.

@Snoopy I'll try to keep my arm in place.

And you're right we don't know anything about the phone, some of my stuff is speculative. But, there is a large group of people who just presume that Samsung's phone will be better than HTC based on the fact that they are Samsung. I'm just trying to point out that that may not be the case. The big thing that will make the decision for which one I think is better is where Samsung takes touch wiz.
    04-26-2012 12:52 PM
    Maybe we'll see Touchwiz 5 and be totally blown away and everyone will want. It's possible, right?
    That happened to HTC with it's new Sense 4. Everyone wanted to get rid of it, nut when it was released, everyone (for the most part) likes it.
    04-26-2012 12:55 PM
    @Blitz I'm not saying that the One X will definitely be better tan the GS3, but here are a few things. 1) HTC hardware is usually better built than Samsung. Agreed, I don't like all the plastic from Samsung. Having said that, wait until May 3rd.2) The screens may be similar, but if the GS3 uses the HD Super AMOLED and not a + variation, the One X display will be better. Agreed 3) HTCs sense is toned down and is now a lean mean fighting machine, we don't know what Samsungs TouchWiz looks like for the GS3 so it may be bloated It may also be toned down and may be a lean mean fighting machine. May 3rd.. 4) Samsung has better cameras. Period. Agreed. 5) HTC works better with Qualcomm, it shows. The first GS2 using a Qualcomm chip (T-Mobiles) wasn't quite as well optimized). It required a learning curve, and Samsung improved with the Skyrocket and Note. That does not however reflect on their engineering prowness with the S4.Not familiar with T-Mobile, I'm from Canada eh?

@Snoopy I'll try to keep my arm in place.

And you're right we don't know anything about the phone, some of my stuff is speculative. But, there is a large group of people who just presume that Samsung's phone will be better than HTC based on the fact that they are Samsung. I'm just trying to point out that that may not be the case. The big thing that will make the decision for which one I think is better is where Samsung takes touch wiz.
    I was all ready to by the X, but, storage space is at an all time low and I hate cloud storage and I refuse to pay for it. So I figured I'd wait for the S3 to come out and see what they're offing.
    04-26-2012 01:05 PM
    I was all ready to by the X, but, storage space is at an all time low and I hate cloud storage and I refuse to pay for it. So I figured I'd wait for the S3 to come out and see what they're offing.
    Hypothetical...what if everything else about the phone isn't as good as the One X? Is expandable storage that important to you?
    04-26-2012 01:07 PM
107 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD