HSPA+ version = quad-core Exynos, LTE version = dual-core S4

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
S4 is nice. I wish Samsung had the guts to challenge the field by releasing the first a15 chip. I fully expect Apple to do this and continue their air of dominance.

The air of dominance has more to do with marketing than
what chip is in the phone. Besides, Apple mostly focuses on having a really strong GPU.

I wouldn't bet the farm on getting any information about the US variants on May 3rd, and more specifically, the chips inside. They may just announce the global GSM version, like last year.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Samsung wants to time announcement and launch dates better. I expect to hear something about US versions. Maybe not concrete dates, but something. We heard about the One series launch when HTC announced them.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Android Central Forums

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Just for perspective...how many of you are deciding whether you like this phone based on whether or not it can beat a yet-to-be-announced iPhone5 rather than whether or not it's an awesome phone?

It sure sounds like some of you just want a phone to stick in iPhone fanboy rival's face!

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I'll be getting the phone because it's a rockin phone. Anything is better than my SE W810!!!!

It'd be cool to stick it apple fanboys, but because it's coming out AFTER the S3, apple can stick in whatever they want to make it better.

Even if the S3 blows the new iphone out of the water, it won't matter because all of the apple sheet will buy the iphone 5 and say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I like apple and their products, I just hate apple fanboys.:mad:

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Huh? Nvidia has nothing to do with this. This is a colossal failure by Samsung. Hmmm, let's see, TWO months ago, Apple released a product that can do what a Samsung product 3 months later cannot. That's a joke. Again, there is no need to rush this product if it isn't as good as they can possibly make it.

I'm sorry, what Apple product would you be referring to? The Snapdragon s4 is a very good chip. Samsung's A15 based variant is not ready yet. As I said, they can't pull these things out of their butts. NONE OF THE CHIP MANUFACTURERS HAVE LTE QUAD CORE CHIPS AVAILABLE so, what exactly is your problem?

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry, what Apple product would you be referring to? The Snapdragon s4 is a very good chip. Samsung's A15 based variant is not ready yet. As I said, they can't pull these things out of their butts. NONE OF THE CHIP MANUFACTURERS HAVE LTE QUAD CORE CHIPS AVAILABLE so, what exactly is your problem?

Exactly.

And lets wait till May 3rd, as far as i am concerned this is just another rumor.

Samsung could have something up it sleeve.

I will still be getting it if it has the S4 or better

Eaglemaniac

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

what is YOUR problem? What makes you think the A15 variants aren't ready yet? Do you have inside information? We know that Samsung stated earlier this year that the chip would be ready in Q2. And what's today's date?

Most people on this forum don't care about cores so I don't get why you are screaming nonsense about quad core. The point is, they so called flagship device won't be any better than others already out. That's the point.

Eaglemaniac

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'll be getting the phone because it's a rockin phone. Anything is better than my SE W810!!!!

It'd be cool to stick it apple fanboys, but because it's coming out AFTER the S3, apple can stick in whatever they want to make it better.

Even if the S3 blows the new iphone out of the water, it won't matter because all of the apple sheet will buy the iphone 5 and say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I like apple and their products, I just hate apple fanboys.:mad:

Yea man. I'm with you. I like the products too. I personally just wished that Samsung would take this opportunity to set the new standards. Oh well.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
what is YOUR problem? What makes you think the A15 variants aren't ready yet? Do you have inside information? We know that Samsung stated earlier this year that the chip would be ready in Q2. And what's today's date?

Most people on this forum don't care about cores so I don't get why you are screaming nonsense about quad core. The point is, they so called flagship device won't be any better than others already out. That's the point.

Since when do we judge a smart phone device by its CPU alone? Here's some news: The chip is not the only thing that makes the device. There are tons of other specs to consider in a smart phone... You are disappointed because the phone you held as the holy grail of all smart phones won't have a better processor than the other top of the line phones that are already out, but will have the SAME processor as the other top of the line phones... tsk tsk tsk....

As I said, I am getting the Evo LTE anyway. But I'm sure the GS3 will be an Android Superpower regardless...

Eaglemaniac

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Since when do we judge a smart phone device by its CPU alone? Here's some news: The chip is not the only thing that makes the device. There are tons of other specs to consider in a smart phone... You are disappointed because the phone you held as the holy grail of all smart phones won't have a better processor than the other top of the line phones that are already out, but will have the SAME processor as the other top of the line phones... tsk tsk tsk....

As I said, I am getting the Evo LTE anyway. But I'm sure the GS3 will be an Android Superpower regardless...

Yea. You're right. Oh well

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Sprint customers like myself were lucky to get the Exynos in their version of the GS2, but now that Sprint is ditching Wimax and going with LTE.....ugh...I hope we're not getting the S4. While it in itself is a good chip, it's the GPU that sucks. It's the Adreno 225 that was already in the Evo 3d! I traded that phone in for the GS2 because it felt so slow. I am confused about the supposed non LTE compatibility of the 4412 and 5250, I thought they both did have LTE compatibility. Did a quick google search on it and couldn't find anything about it since most articles I found go back to September of last year.

Lets think about what we get if the US versions really are based on the S4. We get a phone that has the innards of the MID RANGE HTC One series, because remember, they only put the S4 into the One X because they have to, for the european market, the One X gets the Tegra 3 and the One S, the midrange phone, gets the S4. It will putt around with the GPU from last years Evo 3d, have 1 GB of ram, and, if we're lucky, a 12mp camera...yay. If that really is what we're getting, I might not upgrade this year and wait until next year.

I don't think that the S4 version of the GS3 will be the phone that can justify the hype and secrecy behind it.

Is it a good thing that we haven't seen any benchmarks of a phone identifying itself as a GS3 with a S4 processor in it? Just a while ago I was worried I had to "settle" for the 4212, but now I am hoping for it. Please Samsung, don't make us settle for the S4!!!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I believe they said it would be sampling in Q2, right? Not actually shipping in a device.

And if the next iPhone is going to be announced in the next 2-3 months then the specs are already set in stone, CPU/GPU wise. Development cycles are typically 8-12 months. So when the 4S was announced they were already working on the next thing. Same with Samsung. The SGSII was announced, but they were already working on the next version.

These aren't PC's were you can just swap one CPU for another. Maybe one day.... ;)

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Android Central Forums

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
If this phone has the same processor as the one x, I might as well go with htc for the first time since the screen on the one x is going to be better. Samsung has the reputation of having the best cpu/gpu since the original galaxy s. Not having LTE work with the Exynos is a huge over sight since they knew it didn't work since the GS2, they had almost a whole year to make it work!!!! Why do we always get the gimped out phones? First the galaxy nexus, the galaxy note, the t mobile GS2, and the GS2 SR.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Same source for both articles. Being written on two different sites doesn't make it any more reputable. One thing to note, it says that it'll feature LTE connectivity, but not that it's built-in to the SoC. This would mean that it'll have a separate baseband for LTE connectivity, like the Charge and Galaxy Nexus do now. Battery life will suffer compared to the S4 in the US One X.

The Adreno 225 in the S4 is clocked higher (and a better design) than in the Snapdragon S3, also, the CPU is worlds better than the Snapdragon S3. Blame Sense 3.0 for the Evo 3D feeling slow, because that's why it does. Any idea what HTC had to do to get the 3D working right? Yeah, me neither, but I'm sure it took a lot of modification of deep level code and API's. Kudos to them for getting it to the level they did, but the non-3D Sense 3.x phones were noticeably smoother. It's almost like HTC was working on the code as they went.

Let's be honest here, too, nothing we do really drives these processors to 100% full load anyway, even Tegrazone games that are designed to maximize the performance on Tegra chips.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie