HSPA+ version = quad-core Exynos, LTE version = dual-core S4

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Sprint customers like myself were lucky to get the Exynos in their version of the GS2, but now that Sprint is ditching Wimax and going with LTE.....ugh...I hope we're not getting the S4. While it in itself is a good chip, it's the GPU that sucks. It's the Adreno 225 that was already in the Evo 3d! I traded that phone in for the GS2 because it felt so slow. I am confused about the supposed non LTE compatibility of the 4412 and 5250, I thought they both did have LTE compatibility. Did a quick google search on it and couldn't find anything about it since most articles I found go back to September of last year.

Lets think about what we get if the US versions really are based on the S4. We get a phone that has the innards of the MID RANGE HTC One series, because remember, they only put the S4 into the One X because they have to, for the european market, the One X gets the Tegra 3 and the One S, the midrange phone, gets the S4. It will putt around with the GPU from last years Evo 3d, have 1 GB of ram, and, if we're lucky, a 12mp camera...yay. If that really is what we're getting, I might not upgrade this year and wait until next year.

I don't think that the S4 version of the GS3 will be the phone that can justify the hype and secrecy behind it.

Is it a good thing that we haven't seen any benchmarks of a phone identifying itself as a GS3 with a S4 processor in it? Just a while ago I was worried I had to "settle" for the 4212, but now I am hoping for it. Please Samsung, don't make us settle for the S4!!!

NOPE! The Evo 3D has the Adreno 220 NOT the 225! The Adreno 225 is a much better GPU than the 220 that's in the Evo 3D... Time to do more research. The s4 has the Adreno 225 GPU built in. And the US HTC ONE Series phones are NO WHERE NEAR Mid-range devices. The dual core s4 chip (based on A15 architecture) is about on the same level as the quad core Tegra 3 chip (based on A9 architecture).

Dude, lighten up...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
NOPE! The Evo 3D has the Adreno 220 NOT the 225! The Adreno 225 is a much better GPU than the 220 that's in the Evo 3D... Time to do more research. The s4 has the Adreno 225 GPU built in. And the US HTC ONE Series phones are NO WHERE NEAR Mid-range devices. The dual core s4 chip (based on A15 architecture) is about on the same level as the quad core Tegra 3 chip (based on A9 architecture).

Dude, lighten up...

Based on A15 instruction set, not ARM's architecture. Qualcomm only licenses the instruction set, but they make their own architecture. That's why their chips are so good on battery, typically, because they can custom make the architecture for what it's going to be doing.

Anybody that thinks the One X with the S4 is a mid-range phone is making a guess based on what? The fact that the One S has the same chip? You know what that tells me? That HTC made two high-end phones and is just marketing one as mid-range. The mid-range phone game just got shaken up pretty good by HTC.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Does this S4 chip have the battery saving benefits of the Tegra 3 and A15 chips?

S4 is A15 architecture instruction set.

The Tegra 3 has it's own personal battery saving trick, a 5th core that is low power that takes over when idle and doing mundane tasks. The other 4 "full-power" cores use just as much battery as any other A9-based chip.

The A15 will have battery benefits because of a new architecture and a shift to smaller production processes.

The S4 is built on the 28nm process already, so it has that going for it. It's also based on the a15 instruction set, which includes ways to save battery. Also, because they can design the architecture anyway they want they can do other things to save battery. Honestly Qualcomm isn't completely open when it comes to details about their designs, but so far they've worked well.

Reactions: frozndevl

Eaglemaniac

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The Tegra 3 has it's own personal battery saving trick, a 5th core that is low power that takes over when idle and doing mundane tasks. The other 4 "full-power" cores use just as much battery as any other A9-based chip.

The A15 will have battery benefits because of a new architecture and a shift to smaller production processes.

The S4 is built on the 28nm process already, so it has that going for it. It's also based on the a15 instruction set, which includes ways to save battery. Also, because they can design the architecture anyway they want they can do other things to save battery. Honestly Qualcomm isn't completely open when it comes to details about their designs, but so far they've worked well.
However, current benchmarks show that the quad exynos is better in every way than the S4. Therefore, it looks more Nvidia dropped the ball more than Qualcomm being inovative.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The reviews for the one s as well as the one X were mostly positive eventhough there were complaints of sluggishness to be heard. Whether this was due to overly sensitive reviewers or the chip or ics or combination of all is hard to tell. The 225 is slightly better than the 220 but it's not as fast as the 305 which is supposed to ship later in the year.

My point though is that the gs2 was a big step over all the other phones that were out there at the same time, but putting a s4 in there for the US Version is a bit of a letdown. Granted, I never got to play with a snapdragon powered gs2 but based on the video reviews I have seen, the exynos version was definitely faster.

One more and we will know more.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
However, current benchmarks show that the quad exynos is better in every way than the S4. Therefore, it looks more Nvidia dropped the ball more than Qualcomm being inovative.

Benchmarks don't show battery consumption. Qualcomm is definitely innovative in that the S4 includes LTE on die. Nobody ever said they took the performance crown. It trades blows with the Tegra 3. I won't take benchmark results (being almost worthless anyway) from an unreleased chip in an unreleased phone as seriously as most people.

Also, I'm pretty sure just about everybody expects the Exynos to be the fastest chip (including me), but that doesn't make it the best chip. :) The S4 is fast enough to make Android smooth and play all the games I want to play effortlessly.

Not a word about LTE. F!

You noticed that, huh? ;)

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
TWO months ago, Apple released a product that can do what a Samsung product 3 months later cannot. That's a joke.

What product? The new iPad? If you're referring to it doing quad-core and LTE, that's the GPU that's quad core and not the CPU. And it can do LTE because it has a larger form factor with space for a separate LTE baseband if necessary. The GSIII would be thicker if it included a quad-core CPU SoC and a dedicated LTE baseband.

Brandon

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
The reviews for the one s as well as the one X were mostly positive eventhough there were complaints of sluggishness to be heard. Whether this was due to overly sensitive reviewers or the chip or ics or combination of all is hard to tell. The 225 is slightly better than the 220 but it's not as fast as the 305 which is supposed to ship later in the year.

My point though is that the gs2 was a big step over all the other phones that were out there at the same time, but putting a s4 in there for the US Version is a bit of a letdown. Granted, I never got to play with a snapdragon powered gs2 but based on the video reviews I have seen, the exynos version was definitely faster.

One more and we will know more.

Don't forget Sense 4.0.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
What product? The new iPad? If you're referring to it doing quad-core and LTE, that's the GPU that's quad core and not the CPU. And it can do LTE because it has a larger form factor with space for a separate LTE baseband if necessary. The GSIII would be thicker if it included a quad-core CPU SoC and a dedicated LTE baseband.

Brandon

And the laptop size battery to make up for the extra battery drain that came with that setup. :p

Don't forget Sense 4.0.

Not sure what difference Sense 4.0 makes as far as the SoC is concerned? It's definitely not as resource intensive is Sense 3.x if that's what you're referring to.

Eaglemaniac

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
FYI, BGR is stating that HTC will release a quadcore krait with Adreno 320 in the Fall. So 2 months after release of S3, it will be pretty much irrelevant. Its becoming clear that HTC brought their A-game this year.

CrackBerry1526

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
i REALLY hope that the north american version doesnt get a s4... or lose the home button. 2 things that happend with the galaxy note. was gonna get it, then got a crappier processer and lost the home button.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
FYI, BGR is stating that HTC will release a quadcore krait with Adreno 320 in the Fall. So 2 months after release of S3, it will be pretty much irrelevant. Its becoming clear that HTC brought their A-game this year.

That's old news. Qualcomm has already said as much themselves. This is because they want to power the Win8 tablets. :)

i REALLY hope that the north american version doesnt get a s4... or lose the home button. 2 things that happend with the galaxy note. was gonna get it, then got a crappier processer and lost the home button.

Blame the carriers for having such screwed up frequencies here. ;) The home button I can't explain...probably the carriers again.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
We're pretty confident about what SoC will be in US versions. See THIS. It only makes sense based on history and what we've seen from other handset makers.