HSPA+ version = quad-core Exynos, LTE version = dual-core S4

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense. Doubtful the 4412 can match the S4 in the CPU department. However, the S4 falls way short in the GPU category, at least for the time being.

SlimJ87D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
FYI, BGR is stating that HTC will release a quadcore krait with Adreno 320 in the Fall. So 2 months after release of S3, it will be pretty much irrelevant. Its becoming clear that HTC brought their A-game this year.

The quad core is for tablets and Samsung has the Exynos 5 to battle that one. They said they're just going to stick a better GPU along with the S4 Dual Core next...

Then the Quad Core Krait will come months after that. You're looking more into next year with a quad core krait phone. By then Samsung will probably have a higher clocked Exynos 4 to match it or the Exynos 5.

They're all on the same page, it'll go back and forth like that.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The quad core is for tablets and Samsung has the Exynos 5 to battle that one. They said they're just going to stick a better GPU along with the S4 Dual Core next...

Then the Quad Core Krait will come months after that. You're looking more into next year with a quad core krait phone. By then Samsung will probably have a higher clocked Exynos 4 to match it or the Exynos 5.

They're all on the same page, it'll go back and forth like that.

The first Exynos 5 is dual-core....so it'll compete more on a per core basis with the S4, but a quad-core S4 will still out perform it. Also, with the expected jump in performance to the Adreno 3xx all GPU's will be to the point where the screen resolution needs to jump up to take advantage of the capabilities. Also keep in mind that each GPU is slightly different, and has to run a set number of instructions to be able to be in and Android device. Most are capable of far more, but nothing is written to take advantage of it. Which is (again) why nVidia has an advantage. Hardware is nothing without software.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Alrighty then...time to get friendly with the S4. Guess I am going to go watch some One S and One X (AT&T version) to get friendly with this thing.

Eaglemaniac

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
ok guys, help me understand this: What makes the U.S. version better than other phones already available? It's screen probably won't be as good as the HOX; its processor would be on par; its camera would probably not be as good as the HOX; Sammy's battery would probably be better but I like HTC's UI a lot. What in the world!?

We had so much expectations and this is like a nightmare coming true lol

mkslt04

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I hate to be an arrogant SOB, but I called this yesterday... See my personal blog here.

Anyway I think that this is important, because as I wrote, I think it will level the playing field between the One X and the GS3. The GS2 beat the pants off of the Sensation last year, with HTC using Qualcomm and Samsung using their own in house Exynos chip, but now things are different.

Simply put, most of the internals between the devices will be the same, and the main differentiating factors will be based on design quality, camera, and user experience. While I am sure that the Galaxy S 3 in the US will be better than the One S in the US, it may not be better than the One X in the US.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I hate to be an arrogant SOB, but I called this yesterday... See my personal blog here.

Anyway I think that this is important, because as I wrote, I think it will level the playing field between the One X and the GS3. The GS2 beat the pants off of the Sensation last year, with HTC using Qualcomm and Samsung using their own in house Exynos chip, but now things are different.

Simply put, most of the internals between the devices will be the same, and the main differentiating factors will be based on design quality, camera, and user experience. While I am sure that the Galaxy S 3 in the US will be better than the One S in the US, it may not be better than the One X in the US.

Why do you think that the S3 will not be better than the One X?

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
While I am sure that the Galaxy S 3 in the US will be better than the One S in the US, it may not be better than the One X in the US.

Seeing as how we no nothing else about the S3 other than the processor and it's the same as what's in the X, your statement "it may not be better than the One X in the US" is moot.

Once we find out the specs on May 3rd (and not before through rumours), then you can make such a statement, not yet.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
ok guys, help me understand this: What makes the U.S. version better than other phones already available? It's screen probably won't be as good as the HOX; its processor would be on par; its camera would probably not be as good as the HOX; Sammy's battery would probably be better but I like HTC's UI a lot. What in the world!?

We had so much expectations and this is like a nightmare coming true lol

Samsung has been known for having excellent cameras. That might actually be better, especially if they can nail low light performance. The screen is subjective. I prefer LCD over amoled because of color accuracy, personally, and I can deal with not quite as inky blacks for it. LCD is also brighter in general. But AMOLED is really good with contrast ratios and dark blacks (think shadowy areas in movies).

Agreed. It hinges on design for me. (although, in the effort of full disclosure, I've already decided on the One X) I also want to see browser performance side by side. Samsung had an advantage because they backported a lot of their Honeycomb browser to the SGSII, which is why it screamed in browser performance. With ICS they all have hardware acceleration, so I'm curious to see if Samsung pulled any tricks to improve performance even more.

Why do you think that the S3 will not be better than the One X?

SLCD2 is stunning. Samsung needs to work some magic to get SAMOLED in any form to be as bright.

Maybe we'll see Touchwiz 5 and be totally blown away and everyone will want. It's possible, right? :p

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It seems pretty certain that the US version will end up with a Snapdragon S4. That's fine - but can we still hope for a better GPU than the Adreno 225 or no chance?

With regards to the HTC One X...I can't see how I would buy a phone with only 10GB of storage space...total fail there. That won't even hold all the MP3's I have on my BlackBerry Torch 9800 at the moment...

mkslt04

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
@Blitz I'm not saying that the One X will definitely be better tan the GS3, but here are a few things. 1) HTC hardware is usually better built than Samsung. 2) The screens may be similar, but if the GS3 uses the HD Super AMOLED and not a + variation, the One X display will be better. 3) HTCs sense is toned down and is now a lean mean fighting machine, we don't know what Samsungs TouchWiz looks like for the GS3 so it may be bloated. 4) Samsung has better cameras. Period. 5) HTC works better with Qualcomm, it shows. The first GS2 using a Qualcomm chip (T-Mobiles) wasn't quite as well optimized). It required a learning curve, and Samsung improved with the Skyrocket and Note. That does not however reflect on their engineering prowness with the S4.

@Snoopy I'll try to keep my arm in place. :p

And you're right we don't know anything about the phone, some of my stuff is speculative. But, there is a large group of people who just presume that Samsung's phone will be better than HTC based on the fact that they are Samsung. I'm just trying to point out that that may not be the case. The big thing that will make the decision for which one I think is better is where Samsung takes touch wiz.

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
@Blitz I'm not saying that the One X will definitely be better tan the GS3, but here are a few things. 1) HTC hardware is usually better built than Samsung. Agreed, I don't like all the plastic from Samsung. Having said that, wait until May 3rd.2) The screens may be similar, but if the GS3 uses the HD Super AMOLED and not a + variation, the One X display will be better. Agreed 3) HTCs sense is toned down and is now a lean mean fighting machine, we don't know what Samsungs TouchWiz looks like for the GS3 so it may be bloated It may also be toned down and may be a lean mean fighting machine. May 3rd.. 4) Samsung has better cameras. Period. Agreed. 5) HTC works better with Qualcomm, it shows. The first GS2 using a Qualcomm chip (T-Mobiles) wasn't quite as well optimized). It required a learning curve, and Samsung improved with the Skyrocket and Note. That does not however reflect on their engineering prowness with the S4.Not familiar with T-Mobile, I'm from Canada eh?

@Snoopy I'll try to keep my arm in place. :p

And you're right we don't know anything about the phone, some of my stuff is speculative. But, there is a large group of people who just presume that Samsung's phone will be better than HTC based on the fact that they are Samsung. I'm just trying to point out that that may not be the case. The big thing that will make the decision for which one I think is better is where Samsung takes touch wiz.

I was all ready to by the X, but, storage space is at an all time low and I hate cloud storage and I refuse to pay for it. So I figured I'd wait for the S3 to come out and see what they're offing.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was all ready to by the X, but, storage space is at an all time low and I hate cloud storage and I refuse to pay for it. So I figured I'd wait for the S3 to come out and see what they're offing.

Hypothetical...what if everything else about the phone isn't as good as the One X? Is expandable storage that important to you?

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Hypothetical...what if everything else about the phone isn't as good as the One X? Is expandable storage that important to you?

What's hypothetical about it? Maybe "all time low" is hypothetical, but do you see internal storage going below 16gb? If your answer is no, then "all time low" is correct.

That's why I'm waiting until May 3rd to see the REAL specs of the S3. Then I will make my decision. And yes, storage space is important. I plan to use my phone for everything, so I would like a lot of storage. Plus, I have a 32gb sd card just waiting to be put into the S3.

mkslt04

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
@Jeffreii

Nexus Razr? (Motorola) Nexus X? (HTC) Nexus S2? Galaxy Nexus 2? (Samsung) The New Nexus? (Apple) Lumia Nexus? (Nokia)

I'd like an Apple made Nexus... (Is that sacrilegious?) :confused:

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
@Jeffreii

Nexus Razr? (Motorola) Nexus X? (HTC) Nexus S2? Galaxy Nexus 2? (Samsung) The New Nexus? (Apple) Lumia Nexus? (Nokia)

I'd like an Apple made Nexus... (Is that sacrilegious?) :confused:

Haha I'd love an Apple-made phone that had no iOS, iTunes crap etc. They make amazing hardware, no doubt. My switch from BlackBerry will never take me to Apple software unless they stop trying to control the exact way users do each task.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what difference Sense 4.0 makes as far as the SoC is concerned? It's definitely not as resource intensive is Sense 3.x if that's what you're referring to.

I'm saying that it's a factor that needs to be considered when trying to discern performance differences between two different phones. It has nothing to do with the SoC, but the OP was suggesting reasons why the phone may have performed unsatisfactorily to some reviewers.

Brandon

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca