04-28-2012 09:00 PM
35 12
tools
    is anybody else a little bit disappointed..? i mean S4 should be fine, but although its a A15 architecture it does not "beat" tegra 3, its on PAR with it. i wanted a phone that is future proof for at least 2 years...
    Dual core keeps up with quad core...that's a win in my book.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Android Central Forums
    04-26-2012 07:59 PM
    is anybody else a little bit disappointed..? i mean S4 should be fine, but although its a A15 architecture it does not "beat" tegra 3, its on PAR with it. i wanted a phone that is future proof for at least 2 years...
    The notion of quad-core being "future proof" as compared to dual-core makes no sense to me. Android (in ICS) already has full multi-core support, so a year after you get your multi-core phone, the processor will be just as utilized to its potential as it was when you bought it...so what exactly is it that will change in a few years that will unlock potential out of quad cores that it won't unlock out of dual cores? The only thing that will change (in terms of how cores are used) will be the fact that many apps still don't have adequate multi-core support, and of course the general shift to quad-cores will force developers to implement multi-core support. But, again, that change will also affect dual-core devices! So, just like now, in the future a cutting edge dual-core will be just as good as a quad-core that isn't at the same level of advancement.

I imagine the GS3 the U.S. gets that has the S4 will be paired with something better than Adreno 225. The 225 is what is holding the S4 back right now, and was really only used because the One S only has a 960 x 540 screen. The S4 does beat Tegra 3 in certain benchmarks, and once it is paired with a better GPU it will probably beat it in other benchmarks too.
    04-26-2012 08:44 PM
    The notion of quad-core being "future proof" as compared to dual-core makes no sense to me. Android (in ICS) already has full multi-core support, so a year after you get your multi-core phone, the processor will be just as utilized to its potential as it was when you bought it...so what exactly is it that will change in a few years that will unlock potential out of quad cores that it won't unlock out of dual cores? The only thing that will change (in terms of how cores are used) will be the fact that many apps still don't have adequate multi-core support, and of course the general shift to quad-cores will force developers to implement multi-core support. But, again, that change will also affect dual-core devices! So, just like now, in the future a cutting edge dual-core will be just as good as a quad-core that isn't at the same level of advancement.

I imagine the GS3 the U.S. gets that has the S4 will be paired with something better than Adreno 225. The 225 is what is holding the S4 back right now, and was really only used because the One S only has a 960 x 540 screen. The S4 does beat Tegra 3 in certain benchmarks, and once it is paired with a better GPU it will probably beat it in other benchmarks too.
    The S4 is only being produced with the adreno 225 right now. The adreno 320 is due later this year.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Android Central Forums
    poosh2010 likes this.
    04-26-2012 09:00 PM
    Is it May 3rd yet?
    04-26-2012 09:09 PM
    Is it May 3rd yet?
    Go to sleep for a week and it will be
    04-26-2012 09:36 PM
    Go to sleep for a week and it will be
    04-26-2012 09:43 PM
    04-26-2012 11:44 PM
    my Biggest thing is going to be battery life, and all 3 of these processor's deploy very different tactics to achieve their battery life.

Tegra 3, Brute force fairly unsophisticated CPU(40nm a9 core) but utilizes the 1 low power core to achieve ridiculous stand by times. Each core's clock speed can be adjusted(or completely turned off) based on needs

Qualcomm S4 - uses cutting edge manufacturing process(28nm process, similar to Arm A15 design) relying on small manufacturing process to obtain excellent battery life. Each core's clock speed can be adjusted or turned completely off depending on needs.

Samsung Exynos - 32nm manufacturing process, not as cutting edge as Qualcomm solution, but not as inefficient as Nvidia's chip. Processor is able to dynamically adjust clock speeds AND voltages on each core, should provide excellent battery life (crosses fingers)

Another interesting thing to mention is that the New Exynos 4412 can be a pin for pin replacement to the existed exynos cpu's, so Samsung could very easily take the existing galaxy note, and place a shiny new quad core exynos in it.
    04-28-2012 02:53 PM
    I just want ONE super smartphone that comes with 4.0 screen

Is that too much to ask for?
    04-28-2012 06:28 PM
    I just want ONE super smartphone that comes with 4.0 screen

Is that too much to ask for?
    I think its overkill to have that kind of hardware for a screen that is only 4 inches. I mean what do you need all that power for? You can barely see anything with a screen so small. Can't really play high detailed games due to virtual buttons taking up a big chunk of screen real estate. When you watch hd videos, the extra detail is virtually pointless since you would barely be able to see it. Everything is just less convenient, browsing webpages would make be a waste too since if you have such a high resolution on such a small screen, the words are super tiny, and you would only need that kind of power to display all of the flash content on the screen.

You understand what I'm saying right? Last years dual cores is already as powerful as they needed to be. Now on a larger screen phone, that is what I'm talking about.
    04-28-2012 09:00 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD