Phonearena is reporting that the Exynos 4412 has dedicated image sensor quote "
    Still, the most overlooked feature of the quad-core Exynos 4412 has to be the new dedicated Image Signal Processor (ISP) Samsung has integrated in it. HTC made a proprietary ImageChip of its ownfor the One trio of handsets, instead of using the ho-hum standard ones supplied with Snapdragon or Tegra, and immediately went from mediocre in the camera department, to rivaling phones like the Xperia S or the iPhone 4S in the speed of use and quality of smartphone photos."
    04-30-2012 10:10 AM
    So does this also mean the S4 based version will also have substandard image processing?
    04-30-2012 10:11 AM
    So does this also mean the S4 based version will also have substandard image processing?
    Probably, but don't quote me on that.
    04-30-2012 10:14 AM
    Camera quality combined with a side hardware shutter button are my two top criteria. Sounds like we might get shafted on both counts for the US variant. Hopefully Samsung incorporates some ISP other than the one on chip with the S4.
    04-30-2012 02:15 PM
    Ok, here's my take. Subjectively the One X takes pretty good pictures. Low-light could be better, but they are pretty good. Definitely in the top 3-5 for phone cameras (Nokia, Sony, Samsung, and Apple round it out IMHO).

nVidia has a pretty good IPC on the Tegra 3, but it's proprietary. HTC probably did their own thing to keep picture quality the same from one SoC to another, so it would make sense that Samsung had the same thought.

In other words, the SoC doesn't matter at all, the implementation by the manufacturer on the software side and (somewhat less) on the hardware side is where the difference will be. Also keep in mind that the One X will probably replace my cheap point and shoot. Not pro-quality results, but good enough for facebook and sharing electronically.
    04-30-2012 02:30 PM
    nVidia has a pretty good IPC on the Tegra 3, but it's proprietary. HTC probably did their own thing to keep picture quality the same from one SoC to another, so it would make sense that Samsung had the same thought.

In other words, the SoC doesn't matter at all,
    However in this case Samsung is specifically advertising that the ISP in the GSIII will be from the Exynos 4412 SoC: Samsung Exynos. And if this SoC cannot be used in the US variant, then that would imply the ISP for the US phone will be completely different. And the hardware ISP plays a huge role in image acquisition.

I'm with you- leaning towards the HTC Evo 4GLTE (I'm on Sprint) at this point.
    04-30-2012 03:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD