05-04-2012 08:39 AM
29 12
tools
    Phil's touched it. Check it out HERE.

What do you guys think?
    05-03-2012 02:18 PM
    Seems slightly underwhelming, but that was a given with all the speculation. It's a good looking device, but the screen is the big mark against it. Why no SAMOLED HD+? If I don't get US info soon it's EVO LTE for me.
    05-03-2012 02:35 PM
    I like the battery size, I like the SD slot....the screen is good but nothing special. Overall looks like a great phone however am leaning towards to One X at the moment.
    05-03-2012 02:36 PM
    Two things stick out to me. First, the menu button. That's going to hold Android back as a whole IMHO. Second, removable storage. Yes, it's a desired feature, but it's also something Android is moving away from. I would've like to see Samsung include a large amount of internal storage instead (and HTC, for that matter).

It's rounded, but it's still plastic. I was really hoping Samsung would wow us with something incredible.
    05-03-2012 02:39 PM
    US version not expected till summer, and I still don't know if my carrier (Sprint) will offer it. That makes my decision easy - EVO 4g LTE for me. My og Evo 4g is showing it's age.
    05-03-2012 02:45 PM
    As long as battery life is good and it comes to Verizon I have an uprgrade waiting for it
    05-03-2012 02:48 PM
    US version not expected till summer, and I still don't know if my carrier (Sprint) will offer it. That makes my decision easy - EVO 4g LTE for me. My og Evo 4g is showing it's age.
    That is my thought as well going with the One X...I am ready to upgrade anytime and would have been willing to wait a month or so if this phone was going to be something amazing however at best it's on par with the One X (and EVO 4g LTE) some aspects slightly better and some slightly worse.

Add in we will not see the phone until July or August it's a no brainer for me.
    05-03-2012 02:49 PM
    Not totally unexpected, and not as revolutionary as some were hoping. Honestly, I was keeping my expectations low because I wasn't overly expecting anything ground breaking out of this announcement.

Alex says "we dont think anyone will be disappointed with the display tech Samsungs brought to bear on the S III.", but while I obviously haven't seen the screen, I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't see SAMOLED HD PLUS in this screen. While I think the screen on the Galaxy Nexus does look nice (and according to Alex this screen might look a tad better), my eyes are pretty sensitive to the Pentile matrix, and it would bug me after awhile. The screen alone will probably be the sole factor from keeping me from upgrading from the GSII early, depending on how the US variants turn out.

Other thoughts ...

I bet the single button is not included in the US variants. Maybe a 3 capacitive button layout like the One X.

I'm a fan of expandable storage and a removable battery, and I'm glad they stuck with it. However, I agree with Kevin to an extent. I'd be perfectly happy with 32 to 64 GB non-removable internal memory. I do hope Android manufacturers get there eventually.

The design looks sleek and nice to the eye, but nothing drastic over the GSII. More subtle and refined in comparison I'd say.

Final thoughts ...

This will be a successful device, but I don't see it being a big pull on existing GSII owners. Depending on how the individual US carrier variants play out, I will probably be sticking with my Epic 4G Touch into 2013.
    05-03-2012 02:52 PM
    Two things stick out to me. First, the menu button. That's going to hold Android back as a whole IMHO. Second, removable storage. Yes, it's a desired feature, but it's also something Android is moving away from. I would've like to see Samsung include a large amount of internal storage instead (and HTC, for that matter).

It's rounded, but it's still plastic. I was really hoping Samsung would wow us with something incredible.
    I agree the S3 is underwhelming. MicroSD is important to most so I appreciate Samsung for leaving it there. There is only so much you can do with cloud storage and how much storage can they put in there to make it enough?
    05-03-2012 02:55 PM
    makes me wonder why HTC didn't go for removeable battery in the E4GLTE. I think tho, that i'm still sticking with HTC. I really wanted the GS3 to be the one to get me to switch, but I guess i'm not far from a charger for very long most of the time so I'll risk it.
    05-03-2012 03:01 PM

Cloud storage and streaming are great, but factor in data charges AND what about needing coverage?
    Not too happy about paying for data(or throttling) for files I OWN!
    05-03-2012 03:08 PM
    makes me wonder why HTC didn't go for removeable battery in the E4GLTE. I think tho, that i'm still sticking with HTC. I really wanted the GS3 to be the one to get me to switch, but I guess i'm not far from a charger for very long most of the time so I'll risk it.
    I think with the unibody construction there isn't a user friendly way to make it removable, so they made it built-in.
    05-03-2012 03:10 PM
    I agree the S3 is underwhelming. MicroSD is important to most so I appreciate Samsung for leaving it there. There is only so much you can do with cloud storage and how much storage can they put in there to make it enough?
    It is only underwhelming because ask the over hyping
    05-03-2012 03:28 PM
    They are offering 3 models 16bg, 32gb and 64gb with sd slot so that should make both camps happy. i am looking forward to upgrading to this from my skyrocket.
    05-03-2012 03:31 PM
    Wow. Now I am glad that I went with my guy and ordered the One X. The S3 will be a very nice phone for those that were needing the extra storage.

However, the One X seems to be a better total package. Glad I didn't cancel it. At least I can stop debating if I made the right decision.
    05-03-2012 03:34 PM
    Why wouldn't sprint offer it . They had the last 2
    05-03-2012 03:37 PM
    I'm most likely in the minority here, but I hope the US keeps the physical button. My phone doubles as toddler entertainment on car rides and while I like the capacitive buttons on my DINC2, my toddler finds a way to hit the home button every 30 seconds and I get a "Daddy, it turned off by itself.. HELP!". So, typically, we have to use the wife's iphone for that as she knows not to press the button.

Would be win-win for me, except I have unlimited data, she doesn't. Pretty dumb reason to be excited over a button.... But, at least for me, is a damn good feature
    05-03-2012 04:06 PM
    I'm also hoping to keep the physical button. I think it makes sense when using that to turn on the screen, followed by using your thumb to unlock the device.
    05-03-2012 05:03 PM
    Things about the hardware I love:
    -The build of the device, its sexy.
    -Removable battery
    -SD slot

Things about the hardware I hate:
    -No black version -___-
    -The buttons. Bring on the modern 3 soft touch. I feel outdated
    -No camera button (not that big of a deal though)
    -Screen,No SAMOLED HD+. The average user like myself doesnt really see the difference but I know its not the best out there so it makes me mad. lol
    05-03-2012 06:10 PM
    They are lunching with just the blue and white but they stated other colors will be available soon after.
    Tkbredx likes this.
    05-03-2012 07:58 PM
    Things about the hardware I love:
    -The build of the device, its sexy.
    -Removable battery
    -SD slot

Things about the hardware I hate:
    -No black version -___-
    -The buttons. Bring on the modern 3 soft touch. I feel outdated
    -No camera button (not that big of a deal though)
    -Screen,No SAMOLED HD+. The average user like myself doesnt really see the difference but I know its not the best out there so it makes me mad. lol
    Have you seen Samsungs "blue"? It's black, with a very slight blue high if you look close.

They are lunching with just the blue and white but they stated other colors will be available soon after.
    I would bet those colors would be the more eccentric variaty. Their blue is so close to black, that having both would be redundant.
    05-03-2012 08:51 PM
    Have you seen Samsungs "blue"? It's black, with a very slight blue high if you look close.

Their blue is so close to black, that having both would be redundant.
    Yeah, I know but, I want like a purely black phone, not the slightest blue tint. I guess I'll just get the all white though.
    05-03-2012 09:10 PM
    US version not expected till summer, and I still don't know if my carrier (Sprint) will offer it.
    The Verge Sources Point to a Sprint Release

Samsung Lists a Plethora of US Carriers to Receive GS III

Who knows about the latter link, but I'm sure it will make its way to Sprint. The notion of US variants is the only thing keeping me mildly enticed about the device.
    05-04-2012 12:40 AM
    I'm horribly disappointed in the industrial design. IMO, the T-mobile Galaxy S2 and the Galaxy Nexus are Samsung's best designs. But they seemed to have developed Alzheimer's. Glossy plastic, highly visible sensors, that ugly camera lens, the slapped on speaker grill and LED flash, the bulky and over-bright capacitive buttons that blind you at night, and worst of all, the chrome rim. Deja vu? Or the Galaxy S One?

I just bought a GSM Galaxy Nexus and it is a beautiful black slab, unimpeded by noise on the front, with the soft textured battery cover, the matte and surprisingly solid plastic, and the professionally designed camera and LED flash grouping. It's hard to believe they were built by the same company.

EDIT: I forgot about the fingerprint-magnetized, hollow, cheap, glossy battery cover.
    05-04-2012 01:02 AM
    For all of you b***hing about memory you're looking at 64GB internal, 64GB on an sd card, and 50GB of Dropbox.

Quit whining.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    05-04-2012 01:20 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD