Its a software release, hardware is dissapointing

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
GS3 is the Nexus with a bigger screen and Exonys/S4. The design is really boring, the only good thing is it has a removable battery and microSD.

All the real improvements are in the software. They didn't mention a word about the sensor or optics which means its not really that good, all the focus was on social sharing.

TouchWiz does seem lighter than Sense 4.0 though.

Last edited:

SlimJ87D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand how the hardware is disappointing... Was there anyone here really expect an octo-core or something?

We haven't even seen a benchmark yet or at all.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand how the hardware is disappointing... Was there anyone here really expect an octo-core or something?

We haven't even seen a benchmark yet or at all.

Pentile RGB instead of AMOLED+
Same plastic body instead of ceramic
Camera sensor without any specs (like aperture)
Boring design (compared to all the hype and renders)

Like I said the only good thing is the removable battery and microSD.

newbey123

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
The S3 will be a good phone for those that say they need a massive amount of storage and wanted to have a bigger battery.

I was close to canceling my One X order to hold out for this, but I am glad I didn't.

SlimJ87D

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Pentile RGB instead of AMOLED+
Same plastic body instead of ceramic
Camera sensor without any specs (like aperture)
Boring design (compared to all the hype and renders)

Like I said the only good thing is the removable battery and microSD.

I can understand your beef about the plastic, but the design is honestly personal preference. both those might be a better trade off than not having a removable battery and Micro SD card slot.

I bet my money that the CPU and GPU are better than the Tegra 3 and S4. To back up my claim here are the benchmarks
fc070e007782012f95c012313d09387d-580x421.jpg

benchmarks_htconex-566x500.jpeg

The wireless charging sounds awesome as well. As for the screen, I would like to see a comparison of it next to the One X and possibly power consumption information before I make a real critique. To back up my claim, engadget states that although the one X has denser pixels, the SAMOLED has better contrast. It's personal preference as to which is more beneficial to whom. http://m.engadget.com/default/class...per-amoled/&subCategory=top&icid=eng_tp_click

There are pros and cons for both, but it's definitely not a HTC One X MINUS "like you said."

Last edited:
Reactions: taylorz_412

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I can understand your beef about the plastic, but the design is honestly personal preference. both those might be a better trade off than not having a removable battery and Micro SD card slot.

I bet my money that the CPU and GPU are better than the Tegra 3 and S4. The wireless charging sounds awesome as well. As for the screen, I would like to see a comparison of it next to the One X and possibly power consumption information before I make a real critique.

There are pros and cons for both, but it's definitely not a HTC One X MINUS "like you said."

I never said its a 'One X minus', in fact I think the software features are great and the fact that's its slimmer with a bigger battery. We know the cpu in US versions will be an S4. I'm certain the screen won't be as good as the One X since its Pentile, we'll see.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
GS3 is the Nexus with a bigger screen and Tegra 3/S4. The design is really boring, the only good thing is it has a removable battery and microSD.

All the real improvements are in the software. They didn't mention a word about the sensor or optics which means its not really that good, all the focus was on social sharing.

TouchWiz does seem lighter than Sense 4.0 though.

Tegra 3? You mean quad core exynos which is a much better processor than the tegra 3 and also a better processor than the S4.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Exactly how I felt when I saw the unveiling. They are going for the mass consumers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I found it interesting during the presentation how they mentioned other, apparently new attributes about the screen, like the fast refresh rate. No idea what the refresh rate on a GNex display is. Some people said the GS3's screen looked better than the GNex screen, in the end, most of us with human eyes won't be able to tell, the only difference most people will see is the + behind the Super Amoled missing on the box the phone comes in.

I have encountered quite a few iPhone 4s users that liked the rather low res 800 x 480 screen on my E4gT better than their screen, and I have seen quite a few iPad users that couldn't tell the difference between the iPad 2 and the new iPad. I am pretty finicky with stuff like this, and while I could see the difference between the two ipads, it didn't immediately pop out at me, and this is on a screen much larger and with a lower pixel density than either the GS3, GNex, iPhone 4S and HTC OneX, so for all you guys lamenting the lack of the +..... get a Sharpie, add it to the box.

I am sure if Samsung had the capability to stick the Amoled plus screen in the GS3, they would have done so, but again, manufacturing constraints probably didn't permit it. They didn't do it do piss the screen connoisseurs among us off.

vinny jr

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Great hardware, the best hardware of any phone currently made. If you don't agree then you are lying to yourself or you are an I-Phone sheep.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2.

WolvesWR18

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Great hardware, the best hardware of any phone currently made. If you don't agree then you are lying to yourself or you are an I-Phone sheep.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2.

Best hardware? The screen doesn'beat the One X for sure. Samsung thru HTC off the throne last year with the amazing GSII. But this year, I feel HTC has regained the crown, and many, many others feel the same.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Best hardware? The screen doesn'beat the One X for sure. Samsung thru HTC off the throne last year with the amazing GSII. But this year, I feel HTC has regained the crown, and many, many others feel the same.

Many many others have not seen the new screen on the GSIII. They have not tried the new EXCLUSIVE software features. They have not felt or seen the new polycarbonate material (ONE X is polycarbonate too).
Seeing how it seems to be dominating in benchmarks (yes, realworld is king) I don't see what they could be basing their opinion on.

If you have a One X or plan on getting one, great for you. Sure it will be good.
But stop acting like a fanboy and trashing the SGSIII for nonsensical reasons.

Not sure if I get one or not. I want to see it in person, compare it side by side with the One X. Not getting the HTC (removable battery and expandable storage a must,personally).

EDIT: not to imply Wolve is a fanboy, just referring to many bashing the GSIII that are
May wait for something else.

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

The screen "might not" be better than the One X. The One X will probably be slightly better, but not the huge difference some people are suggesting. We don't know since we haven't seen it yet. Even Phil, who has seen it, said that the difference was very small. Other than the display, the S3 beats the One X in every other hardware spec.

Processor - in the US, gonna be the same S4 chip.
Battery - S3 will probably be better. Given the same S4 chip and a larger removable battery (2100 vs 1800 mAh).
On board storage: S3. optional 32/64 GB.
Removable storage: S3
Removable battery: S3
Wireless charging: S3
Camera: TBD but the S3 has a 1.9 MP front camera and can record 720p

So really the only area the One X will be better is the display. And it is not like the S3 display will be bad. It will still be better than anything out there, except the One X.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The screen "might not" be better than the One X. The One X will probably be slightly better, but not the huge difference some people are suggesting. We don't know since we haven't seen it yet. Even Phil, who has seen it, said that the difference was very small. Other than the display, the S3 beats the One X in every other hardware spec.

Processor - in the US, gonna be the same S4 chip.
Battery - S3 will probably be better. Given the same S4 chip and a larger removable battery (2100 vs 1800 mAh).
On board storage: S3. optional 32/64 GB.
Removable storage: S3
Removable battery: S3
Wireless charging: S3
Camera: TBD but the S3 has a 1.9 MP front camera and can record 720p

So really the only area the One X will be better is the display. And it is not like the S3 display will be bad. It will still be better than anything out there, except the One X.

The S3 does not win on internal storage. You won't see one in the us with more than 16gb. Is wireless charging standard or is it another expense? If its the latter, it is not an advantage.

The one x camera IS better than the S3's because the S3's is the same optics as the S2 with some software additions. The one x's camera is just plain better, period.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol