Is anyone else disappointed with the design?

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Its growing on me... But I don't know where they got all this nature stuff from... Could of included other stuff... But it looks too nature-fied

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm okay with the shape. But I don't really like that fake brushed aluminum look on the back of the black version. Should have been solid black or some other pattern.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Seems a homely design. Not sure how I feel about it. Whereas the One X knocks your socks off, it's so gorgeous.

Design choice is purely subjective. I don't care for HTC hardware. I find it very blah. But that's what's great about having choices!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Boring and ugly, and definitely not good enough to compete against the One X. Samsung may have a rough year...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Boring and ugly, and definitely not good enough to compete against the One X. Samsung may have a rough year...

I seriously doubt Samsung will have a rough year...

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
agreed, design choice is subjective.. but to me they all look the same.. can't understand why people would be so 'underwhelmed' by the design.. i like both the one x and gs3.. they both look like what a nice high-end phone should look like.. i just hope verizon gets it soon and doesn't mess it up too much..

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I really like the shape. I really like the home button. I wish they had a multitasking button, and maybe a small capacative menu button off to the side that only lit when needed (like the soft keys).

I really Really REALLY hate that glossy plastic. If I bought the One X, I'd go caseless. With the SGS3, I'd need a case for sure.

Honestly I rather like the design. Wireless charging is also a bonus!

I haven't read as much about this phone as I would like. Too busy with work and other stuff. Where did they mention wireless charging? I have seen a few hands on and watched most of the livestream without seeing anything about it. Does it need a separate cover?

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, but I did lose a little excitement. Now I'm torn on buying the Nexus straight from Google. I have to switch carriers and my current phone is dying so I need a new one. I can get this from AT&T and have a 2 year contract or by the Nexus straight from Google and get on AT&T with no contract. Then if later this year or next year, something comes out, I can get it through AT&T and sign a 2 year contract then. Decisions, decisions...

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I seriously doubt Samsung will have a rough year...

Let me put it this way: next to the one x (or the one s) this stands no chance from a design perspective. It looks like a Nokia, and offers few substantive improvements over either is predecessor or the HTCs.

chase2hoop

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes it looks bad... The back looks like that samsung pebble MP3 player...
Pebble MP3 Player:
jtjtdsc02936800.jpg

Galaxy SIII:
GALAXY-S-III-Product-Image-7_B.jpg

I know the pebble came out at the same time but still... Couldn't even change the colors on them?

Last edited:

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Let me put it this way: next to the one x (or the one s) this stands no chance from a design perspective. It looks like a Nokia, and offers few substantive improvements over either is predecessor or the HTCs.

According to you. Design is purely subjective. I'm glad we have choices like we do.

Sanosuke

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about everyone else, but after all the conjecture and mystery surrounding this release I was pretty underwhelmed. I feel like the only thing that they really had to showcase was the fact that it had a siri like interface. That's cool, don't get me wrong, and I'll be interested to see how the battery holds up under real world conditions as I'm always wishing I got a little more battery life out of my Galaxy S, but all in all I wasn't overly excited/impressed with anything. Not because I had especially high hopes, there was just never a point during the unveiling where I thought "that's awesome" which is unfortunate. Depending how hands on reviews are I'll probably end up with an SGSIII later this year at some point though.

StinDaWg

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about everyone else, but after all the conjecture and mystery surrounding this release I was pretty underwhelmed.

As am I. After all the hype this was a total fail for me.

-Pentile screen. Are you kidding me? Of all the rumors a Super Amoled HD+ was the most obvious of coming true. BGR said it was going to be a 1080p screen. While that was a stretch I'm very surprised they couldn't put out a 720p + display considering they make their own and this is their flagship device for 2012.

-Plastic build quality. Every rumor pointed towards a ceramic or metallic case. What do we get? Same plastic build quality. But even worse, they've went back to the cheap glossy plastic of the original Galaxy S. Absolute head scratcher there.

-2100 battery. Could have been worse, but I was hoping for at least 2500. If you can fit 3300 into a Razr Maxx I don't know why more manufacturers can't. The S3 isn't much thinner.

-Bezels not much thinner. Rumors pointed to an edge to edge design for the screen. While they have made the top and bottom bezel a hair smaller compared to the Galaxy Nexus, the sides are definitely not edge to edge, looks no different really.

-Same 8MP camera as S2. From the information I've read they are using the same exact camera as the S2 just with software improvements. While the S2 camera isn't bad, I'm pretty shocked they didn't upgrade the sensor at all on the new flagship.

The S3 will still sell, but overall it's a major disappointment IMO.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about everyone else, but after all the conjecture and mystery surrounding this release I was pretty underwhelmed. I feel like the only thing that they really had to showcase was the fact that it had a siri like interface. That's cool, don't get me wrong, and I'll be interested to see how the battery holds up under real world conditions as I'm always wishing I got a little more battery life out of my Galaxy S, but all in all I wasn't overly excited/impressed with anything. Not because I had especially high hopes, there was just never a point during the unveiling where I thought "that's awesome" which is unfortunate. Depending how hands on reviews are I'll probably end up with an SGSIII later this year at some point though.

That's a huge problem in the tech market. Things that are quite awesome are hyped up so much, that awesome isn't good enough. Sure, these specs are pretty darn good, but what is 720p SAMOLED, when 1080p SAMOLED+ was rumored. What is a shiny plastic phone, when a super ceramic phone is rumored. No 12mp camera, no Razr Maxx battery, etc. It's good, but the hype was unreal, and good is a disappointment to many (I admit I am disappointment in some things myself. Why no SAMOLED+ samsung? WHY? And not even a matte plastic? Those two things are my biggest problem with this phone.)

Edit: Post above mine, which was posted after I started typing, is a case in point. No offense, but there are a lot of improvements to the SGS3, but not enough to match the hype. For example, the camera. Samsung has not made a new camera module since the SGS2 was launched. Sure, sony has a new camera (though from reviews, it's not exactly a stunner) and may not be available for outside buyers like Samsung.