05-11-2012 10:39 AM
88 1234
tools
    Boring and ugly, and definitely not good enough to compete against the One X. Samsung may have a rough year...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    05-03-2012 06:41 PM
    Boring and ugly, and definitely not good enough to compete against the One X. Samsung may have a rough year...

I seriously doubt Samsung will have a rough year...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    05-03-2012 06:45 PM
    agreed, design choice is subjective.. but to me they all look the same.. can't understand why people would be so 'underwhelmed' by the design.. i like both the one x and gs3.. they both look like what a nice high-end phone should look like.. i just hope verizon gets it soon and doesn't mess it up too much..
    05-03-2012 06:54 PM
    I really like the shape. I really like the home button. I wish they had a multitasking button, and maybe a small capacative menu button off to the side that only lit when needed (like the soft keys).

I really Really REALLY hate that glossy plastic. If I bought the One X, I'd go caseless. With the SGS3, I'd need a case for sure.

Honestly I rather like the design. Wireless charging is also a bonus!
    I haven't read as much about this phone as I would like. Too busy with work and other stuff. Where did they mention wireless charging? I have seen a few hands on and watched most of the livestream without seeing anything about it. Does it need a separate cover?
    05-03-2012 06:55 PM
    I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, but I did lose a little excitement. Now I'm torn on buying the Nexus straight from Google. I have to switch carriers and my current phone is dying so I need a new one. I can get this from AT&T and have a 2 year contract or by the Nexus straight from Google and get on AT&T with no contract. Then if later this year or next year, something comes out, I can get it through AT&T and sign a 2 year contract then. Decisions, decisions...
    05-03-2012 06:56 PM
    I seriously doubt Samsung will have a rough year...

Let me put it this way: next to the one x (or the one s) this stands no chance from a design perspective. It looks like a Nokia, and offers few substantive improvements over either is predecessor or the HTCs.

05-03-2012 06:59 PM
    Yes it looks bad... The back looks like that samsung pebble MP3 player...
    Pebble MP3 Player:
    Galaxy SIII:
    I know the pebble came out at the same time but still... Couldn't even change the colors on them?
    05-03-2012 07:04 PM
    Wireless charging
    Where did you see that the S3 has wireless charging? Link?

Thanks.
    05-03-2012 07:04 PM
    05-03-2012 07:15 PM
    I most likely get the GS3, more features than the one X
    E_man likes this.
    05-03-2012 07:40 PM
    Let me put it this way: next to the one x (or the one s) this stands no chance from a design perspective. It looks like a Nokia, and offers few substantive improvements over either is predecessor or the HTCs.

According to you. Design is purely subjective. I'm glad we have choices like we do.

05-03-2012 07:40 PM
    I don't know about everyone else, but after all the conjecture and mystery surrounding this release I was pretty underwhelmed. I feel like the only thing that they really had to showcase was the fact that it had a siri like interface. That's cool, don't get me wrong, and I'll be interested to see how the battery holds up under real world conditions as I'm always wishing I got a little more battery life out of my Galaxy S, but all in all I wasn't overly excited/impressed with anything. Not because I had especially high hopes, there was just never a point during the unveiling where I thought "that's awesome" which is unfortunate. Depending how hands on reviews are I'll probably end up with an SGSIII later this year at some point though.
    05-03-2012 08:02 PM
    I don't know about everyone else, but after all the conjecture and mystery surrounding this release I was pretty underwhelmed.
    As am I. After all the hype this was a total fail for me.

-Pentile screen. Are you kidding me? Of all the rumors a Super Amoled HD+ was the most obvious of coming true. BGR said it was going to be a 1080p screen. While that was a stretch I'm very surprised they couldn't put out a 720p + display considering they make their own and this is their flagship device for 2012.

-Plastic build quality. Every rumor pointed towards a ceramic or metallic case. What do we get? Same plastic build quality. But even worse, they've went back to the cheap glossy plastic of the original Galaxy S. Absolute head scratcher there.

-2100 battery. Could have been worse, but I was hoping for at least 2500. If you can fit 3300 into a Razr Maxx I don't know why more manufacturers can't. The S3 isn't much thinner.

-Bezels not much thinner. Rumors pointed to an edge to edge design for the screen. While they have made the top and bottom bezel a hair smaller compared to the Galaxy Nexus, the sides are definitely not edge to edge, looks no different really.

-Same 8MP camera as S2. From the information I've read they are using the same exact camera as the S2 just with software improvements. While the S2 camera isn't bad, I'm pretty shocked they didn't upgrade the sensor at all on the new flagship.

The S3 will still sell, but overall it's a major disappointment IMO.
    05-03-2012 08:30 PM
    I don't know about everyone else, but after all the conjecture and mystery surrounding this release I was pretty underwhelmed. I feel like the only thing that they really had to showcase was the fact that it had a siri like interface. That's cool, don't get me wrong, and I'll be interested to see how the battery holds up under real world conditions as I'm always wishing I got a little more battery life out of my Galaxy S, but all in all I wasn't overly excited/impressed with anything. Not because I had especially high hopes, there was just never a point during the unveiling where I thought "that's awesome" which is unfortunate. Depending how hands on reviews are I'll probably end up with an SGSIII later this year at some point though.
    That's a huge problem in the tech market. Things that are quite awesome are hyped up so much, that awesome isn't good enough. Sure, these specs are pretty darn good, but what is 720p SAMOLED, when 1080p SAMOLED+ was rumored. What is a shiny plastic phone, when a super ceramic phone is rumored. No 12mp camera, no Razr Maxx battery, etc. It's good, but the hype was unreal, and good is a disappointment to many (I admit I am disappointment in some things myself. Why no SAMOLED+ samsung? WHY? And not even a matte plastic? Those two things are my biggest problem with this phone.)

Edit: Post above mine, which was posted after I started typing, is a case in point. No offense, but there are a lot of improvements to the SGS3, but not enough to match the hype. For example, the camera. Samsung has not made a new camera module since the SGS2 was launched. Sure, sony has a new camera (though from reviews, it's not exactly a stunner) and may not be available for outside buyers like Samsung.
    05-03-2012 08:31 PM
    where is the wow factor its not there.i still want a galaxy note on verizon. this is getting the fast tract to carriers .
    05-03-2012 08:45 PM
    I think another thing which is notable is the bezel. It's minor, but I was thinking having an edge to edge screen would be very nice. the bezel isn't huge or anything, but it's not the almost bezelless design people were hoping for. I agree with you that expectations were too high, and the SGS3 is pretty nice. I guess the disappointment for me is that it doesn't really stand out from the rest of the offerings out there right now. Even the fact that people can still make reasonable comparisons between it and the Nexus is proof of that. It should be the next big thing, not just another phone among all the rest.
    05-03-2012 08:45 PM
    I think another thing which is notable is the bezel. It's minor, but I was thinking having an edge to edge screen would be very nice. the bezel isn't huge or anything, but it's not the almost bezelless design people were hoping for. I agree with you that expectations were too high, and the SGS3 is pretty nice. I guess the disappointment for me is that it doesn't really stand out from the rest of the offerings out there right now. Even the fact that people can still make reasonable comparisons between it and the Nexus is proof of that. It should be the next big thing, not just another phone among all the rest.
    With the race to make phones, it's hard to make a revolution. Samsung has made a few that have pushed the bleeding edge, but this is definitely better hardware than the Nexus. It's just more of an evolution. I think the One X was the tipping point for this generation. It packed everything in, and there wasn't a whole lot to stand above it in. I think the fact that people are making fair comparisons to the One X says how good of a job samsung did. However, it was less of a leap for samsung to get there than HTC.
    05-03-2012 08:58 PM
    I think another thing which is notable is the bezel. It's minor, but I was thinking having an edge to edge screen would be very nice.
    Ya, I was hoping for something like this...

In this design you could have fit a 4.8" 16:9 screen into the body of the 4.3" Galaxy S2. As it currently is, it is larger than both the One X and Galaxy Nexus, which are already bordering on too large IMO.
    05-03-2012 09:07 PM
    Ya, I was hoping for something like this...

Click to view quoted image

In this design you could have fit a 4.8" 16:9 screen into the body of the 4.3" Galaxy S2. As it currently is, it is larger than both the One X and Galaxy Nexus, which are already bordering on too large IMO.
    You'd need some very smart software to get that to work. Your palm would touch the screen all the time. I already do that on my SGS1.
    05-03-2012 09:22 PM
    It's a nice phone, it just isn't the fabled white whale everyone wanted it to be.

05-03-2012 09:27 PM
    It's growing on me the more I see it.
    05-03-2012 09:33 PM
    I'm a little disappointed. Might just stick with my GS2 or give the X a whirl.
    05-03-2012 09:43 PM
    I most likely get the GS3, more features than the one X
    but how does it fare against the new evo? it would seem that the latter and not the one x would be the more appropriate contender seeing as how it has more features than its one x brethren
    05-03-2012 09:48 PM
    I actually like the design a lot. The idea was to take a rather large phone and make it feel small. I hate to say it, it almost reminds me a bit of the iPhone 3GS, just sexier. I never had a problem with how my E4GT felt, this whole "plastic" feel everyone is complaining about is just a matter of opinion. My E4GT felt much more solid than the Evo 4G with it's lifting screen problem or the Evo 3d with it's annoying 2d/3d switch and gigantic pimple of a camera button, which brings me to my next point....why do people want a physical camera button so much? It's just another bump on the side of an otherwise smooth phone, and to me, it's harder to hold the phone still to press that camera button than it is to just touch the screen. How hard is it to touch the screen with your thumb instead of having to fiddle around with some physical button on the phone.

Too much hype? Underwhelmed? Well, in the tech world there is this thing called reality. We all know that there are faster chips out there and more are constantly being developed. But availability of those brand new chips always get in the way, as is the case with US LTE capable Exynos chips and the much beloved Exynos 5250. It just wasn't ready yet and Samsung had to make some strategic decisions. As they mentioned in their keynote, it's not just about technology for technologies sake. I'd say 80% of the public don't even know what an Exynos or S4 are, nor do they care. The phone is smooth and fast, that's all they care about. Same with the big hoopla behind the display. How many of you have seen the display for themselves? Phil said he could barely tell the difference and the GS3 still had the advantage over the One X's excellent screen when it comes down to contrast. Does your nose frequently touch the screen of your phone or do you carry a microscope with you at all times to belinger that "horrible pixelated" pentile display? Do you always carry an Evo 4G LTE and a One X with you so you can compare that "inferior" display in your GS3 to them? For that matter, do you always have your TOUCH screen pristinely clean so you can actually see those pentile flaws? It's a huge improvement over the 800 x 480 of the Epic 4G Touch, and I still get compliments from people about how nice my screen looks.

For the Sprint crowd (like me) it will be an interesting decision making process. Both phones will have the same processor most likely, both will have removable storage, but the edge goes to the GS3 with the 64 gb option and 50 gb of dropbox storage on top of that. The Evo will have a kickstand and a camera button, I don't care about the camera button, and while I do miss the kickstand from my orginal Evo on occasion, I really never used it that much, give me sleek and uncluttered over the rather busy design of the Evo 4g LTE. Sense vs Touchwiz? Again, a matter of personal preference, I do like Sense, but I think I like TW better, especially with all the new featuers they added. I wish they would have come up with some new icons, I mean come on, the contacts, email, phone and messaging icons look the same....really?? Also, the messaging app looks pretty much the same too, I use handcent currently, I wonder if the "move the phone to your ear while your texting to call that person" will work with 3rd party messaging apps as well. What I did notice in one of the many videos I have watched so far....no moving wallpaper....for real? WTH? All those great wallpapers and live wallpapers and we're stuck looking at just one section of it, I just don't get it.

Ok, I am going to stop here and hunt down more videos, but that's my assessment so far.
    05-03-2012 10:20 PM
    I feel the same way, this is a much closer competitor to the E4GLTE than the One X, since it has the bigger battery, S4 (in US) and microSD. For me the decision will be simple - if Verizon offers this and they manage not to totally destroy the phone with their mods and bloatware, I'm getting it simply due to the LTE network. Otherwise, I will have to decide between this and the new E4GLTE on Sprint.

TW has a lot more features than Sense 4, who cares if it looks like 'stock ICS' or not. If I want the stock experience, I can always install a rom, which again will be a lot easier on the S3 since its easier to root.
    05-03-2012 10:28 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD