05-11-2012 10:39 AM
88 1234
tools
    What MannyZ28 said +1gazillion
    MannyZ28 likes this.
    05-03-2012 10:33 PM
    The first time I saw it I wasn't a fan of the design. The river rock theme, the center button, and now you throw in wireless charging. I feel like I owned this phone before, it was the Palm Pre. I know it's light years beyond the old Palm spec wise and feature set but design wise it looks like a flat pre (perhaps a Pre 3 is more accurate). Really I don't think I'd be as bothered by it if it wasn't made of shiny fisher price plastic. Oh well I was going to put a case on it anyway if I bought it. Im just a bit underwhelmed by the physical design. The software features I actually like. I hope the Siri Alternative works well and the facial recognition sounds great.

Wont really know until I see one in the wild and hold it in my hand. Of course US carriers could radically change the form factor once they get their evil hands on it.
    05-03-2012 11:09 PM
    Looking at photos of the phone, I was okay with the design, but not impressed. However after watching a few videos, particular ones with good lighting, I'm starting to think the phone looks better than the still phones really show.
    05-03-2012 11:21 PM
    As am I. After all the hype this was a total fail for me.

-Pentile screen. Are you kidding me? Of all the rumors a Super Amoled HD+ was the most obvious of coming true. BGR said it was going to be a 1080p screen. While that was a stretch I'm very surprised they couldn't put out a 720p + display considering they make their own and this is their flagship device for 2012.

-Plastic build quality. Every rumor pointed towards a ceramic or metallic case. What do we get? Same plastic build quality. But even worse, they've went back to the cheap glossy plastic of the original Galaxy S. Absolute head scratcher there.

-2100 battery. Could have been worse, but I was hoping for at least 2500. If you can fit 3300 into a Razr Maxx I don't know why more manufacturers can't. The S3 isn't much thinner.

-Bezels not much thinner. Rumors pointed to an edge to edge design for the screen. While they have made the top and bottom bezel a hair smaller compared to the Galaxy Nexus, the sides are definitely not edge to edge, looks no different really.

-Same 8MP camera as S2. From the information I've read they are using the same exact camera as the S2 just with software improvements. While the S2 camera isn't bad, I'm pretty shocked they didn't upgrade the sensor at all on the new flagship.

The S3 will still sell, but overall it's a major disappointment IMO.
    I don't think it's reasonable to be disappointed because the phone didn't live up to the fake rumors.

BGR will report pretty much anything anyone tells them it seems. You should have seen all the crap they were telling us the "iPhone 5" was going to be.

- The display is still pentile. But Anandtech said it looks like a better display than the Galaxy Nexus has, despite both being Super AMOLED. Galaxy Nexus already looks pretty good and I don't notice the pentile effect with my eye. Sounds like he doesn't think it's quite up to the same quality of the HTC One X, but it should still be pretty nice.

- Plastic body shouldn't be a surprise. It's Samsung. Again rumors said all kinds of things. But a review says they put a coating on it that should help protect against scratches.

- 2100 mAh battery in the GSM model. That should be plenty. I would imagine Samsung might go with a larger battery with the LTE model later in June.

- I really didn't think we'd be seeing a bezelless phone, that was just a silly rumor. This bezel looks pretty thin. I'm a bit worried about having no bezel causing issues when holding the phone anyway.

- I didn't really pay attention to the talk about the camera since pretty much any camera these days is good enough for what I do.
    05-03-2012 11:33 PM
    I think for the most part, Samsung got the internals right. But the design is a major decision point to me. With the One X, I can work around the storage. I can't work around the generic design of the GS3. I don't know if I'd call it ugly but it's a no brainer in comparison to the One X's design.
    05-03-2012 11:55 PM
    According to you. Design is purely subjective. I'm glad we have choices like we do.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    Design is most definitely NOT purely subjective. There is good design and there is bad design. This falls in the middle. Its a mediocre update to the SII, and looks totally anonymous in a sea of Android handsets.

With the One X being such a fantastic design and using such good materials, Samsung needed to make sure the SIII was a grand slam. This barely moves the needle.
    05-04-2012 02:47 AM
    Disappointed, no, more like expected, it looks like ever other cheap shiny plastic Samsung phone.
    05-04-2012 02:50 AM
    Samsung dropped the ball... HTC totally murdered them design wise. The specs don't mean much with that horrible cheap looking phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    05-04-2012 02:54 AM
    Design is most definitely NOT purely subjective. There is good design and there is bad design. This falls in the middle. Its a mediocre update to the SII, and looks totally anonymous in a sea of Android handsets.

With the One X being such a fantastic design and using such good materials, Samsung needed to make sure the SIII was a grand slam. This barely moves the needle.
    Not quite. Bad design is usually bad because it has functionality issues. This has no functionality issues, but its not especially attractive to most peoples eyes.
    05-04-2012 02:55 AM
    Not quite. Bad design is usually bad because it has functionality issues. This has no functionality issues, but its not especially attractive to most peoples eyes.
    That's just not true. It doesn't have to have functionality issues to be a bad design. This is a bad design because it is a step backwards from its predecessor, and it undoes all of the positive changes that the SII brought. (textured hyperskin battery cover for example)
    05-04-2012 02:59 AM
    That's just not true. It doesn't have to have functionality issues to be a bad design. This is a bad design because it is a step backwards from its predecessor, and it undoes all of the positive changes that the SII brought. (textured hyperskin battery cover for example)
    Droid, your arguing against you point about liking the design being subjective. You dont like the design and think its a step backwards, other's do not agree. It is absolutely subjective. Unless you arguing that your opinion is the only valid one and I know you arent going to say that. I happen to agree with you, that doesnt make my opinion any more valid than the person who really likes the design and material choices.
    lpt2569 likes this.
    05-04-2012 07:03 AM
    Unless the design of the phone causes problems with how it functions, it is purely subjective opinion on what you or I or anyone else thinks about the aesthetics. The antenna design was bad with the iPhone 4 both in form and function. There is nothing here like that whatsoever.

If you don't like how it looks, cool, but that is 100% opinion. And you don't have to buy it or look at it even if its looks offend you so much!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    05-04-2012 07:20 AM
    Imagine this:
    You have the S3, One X, iPhone 4S and Lumia 900, all in colors of your choice with/without covers.
    Every morning when you have to pick up a phone to goto work/school/college which one would you choose?

I can see myself picking up the One X(white) and the Lumia(blue). The iPhone's just too small. The S3 is a good phone internally and all but it won't grab eyeballs. That is one of the things I want in my phone. If I spend a lot, I wanna show off a lot!
    And plus except the battery,I really don't see why I would change my One X(international) to the S3.
    Whadaya think?
    05-04-2012 07:34 AM
    Imagine this:
    You have the S3, One X, iPhone 4S and Lumia 900, all in colors of your choice with/without covers.
    Every morning when you have to pick up a phone to goto work/school/college which one would you choose?

I can see myself picking up the One X(white) and the Lumia(blue). The iPhone's just too small. The S3 is a good phone internally and all but it won't grab eyeballs. That is one of the things I want in my phone. If I spend a lot, I wanna show off a lot!
    And plus except the battery,I really don't see why I would change my One X(international) to the S3.
    Whadaya think?
    Show me a beautiful woman and I will show you a guy who is sick of F(**&( her.

While I am not impressed with the design, Samsung addressed the two shortcoming's of the X. A bigger, removable battery that will allow you to put an even bigger battery in and more storage options. Im going to give the X a whirl, but if the battery life is not up to what I require, then I will come back to the GS3. I dont care about all the gimicky software on the GS3. I need a phone that works all day without concern and that lets me put whatever I want on it.
    05-04-2012 07:38 AM
    Show me a beautiful woman and I will show you a guy who is sick of F(**&( her.

While I am not impressed with the design, Samsung addressed the two shortcoming's of the X. A bigger, removable battery that will allow you to put an even bigger battery in and more storage options. Im going to give the X a whirl, but if the battery life is not up to what I require, then I will come back to the GS3. I dont care about all the gimicky software on the GS3. I need a phone that works all day without concern and that lets me put whatever I want on it.
    Battery is better agreed, but the international One X has 32 GB inbuilt which is enough for a regular user like me.
    05-04-2012 07:43 AM
    Battery is better agreed, but the international One X has 32 GB inbuilt which is enough for a regular user like me.
    I can get by with 32gb. Its the battery that Im most concerned about. With the thiness of the GS3 I am sure Samsung will offer a bigger batter (2500 MAH perhaps) along with a replacement back cover that will most certainly give me "do whatever I want" battery life.
    05-04-2012 08:12 AM
    The thing for me is that I have the Epic Touch. This is practically the same phone with a higher resolution screen (that may be overall uglier) and some silly software garbage. When the Epic Touch gets ICS, the differences will be even smaller.

Let's say I upgrade to get the ability to add 64gb Microsd in a world that is going cloud, more shiny plastic to scratch, and the lastest Samsung copying iOS software. What else is there that an Epic Touch owner would want to waste an upgrade and spend $200?

Looks like I'm waiting through the summer, or maybe get tempted by the new Evo that looks at least like an upgrade (the camera and display) for a photographer like myself.
    05-04-2012 12:29 PM
    My battery is fine for my use. I'm usually left with 40% battery when I come home, so the battery is enough. =)
    05-04-2012 12:52 PM
    Yes I am really disappointed. It just another of Samsung's high end device all wrapped up in cheap plastic built. Shame Samsung, you could have done better than to make a device that resembles with Nokia C7.
    05-04-2012 01:10 PM
    the design is starting to grow on me... it doesnt look so weird now
    05-04-2012 09:49 PM
    "Beauty is in the eye of the holder"

Personally, Im happy that Samsung have a new "Design Language" , but I hope they don't over use it like Infinity or Hyundai
    The design looks very odd to me, kinda reminds of an Egg especially the white one. Maybe it will take some time to grow on me like the ONE X

Either way, I won't get neither of then because :
    - I'm very very happy with my Atrix
    - I'm picky when it comes to colors, I won't buy a Glossy white phone (it will look ugly when its gets old) or a blue one (I didn't get the Milestone 2 because it was blue even though I liked the phone)

That's just me
    05-04-2012 11:03 PM
    I love the design and I'm thrilled that it has removable storage. I keep reading people say it's just another slab but I think it looks different with all the curves. And I think it will be more comfortable to hold because of it. But I'll have to wait until I can play with one to see if it's right for me.
    05-04-2012 11:41 PM
    - Plastic body shouldn't be a surprise. It's Samsung. Again rumors said all kinds of things. But a review says they put a coating on it that should help protect against scratches.
    In either the podcast or one of the videos the Android Central guys said the S3 they were given to preview already had visible scratches on the back cover, and it was basically brand new. Yes, Samsung says it has a "hyper glaze" coating which is just marketing BS for shiny plastic. It's apparently still low quality garbage they've used in the past.

I can't deal with a full glossy plastic phone. It gets slippery and slimy to hold and is a fingerprint magnet. If you are going to give me cheap plastic at least make it matte like on the Galaxy Nexus.

I also found it funny how Samsung made a big deal about the textured flexible battery cover on the S2, and then they go right back to the cheap glossy plastic of the original Galaxy S.
    05-05-2012 01:26 AM
    In either the podcast or one of the videos the Android Central guys said the S3 they were given to preview already had visible scratches on the back cover, and it was basically brand new. Yes, Samsung says it has a "hyper glaze" coating which is just marketing BS for shiny plastic. It's apparently still low quality garbage they've used in the past.

I can't deal with a full glossy plastic phone. It gets slippery and slimy to hold and is a fingerprint magnet. If you are going to give me cheap plastic at least make it matte like on the Galaxy Nexus.

I also found it funny how Samsung made a big deal about the textured flexible battery cover on the S2, and then they go right back to the cheap glossy plastic of the original Galaxy S.
    The glossy part is nothing but some type of clear coat, it will scratch, especially with people that aren't careful with their phones. Have you seen what iPhone 3G/3GS's look like after a while? All scratched up as well, and that's the phone people always referred to being built with premium materials. Same goes for the iPhone 4/4S, the rear glass scratches easily. Apple puts all this thought into the look of the phone (I personally think it's super ugly and boring and about as sexy as a girl with no curves on her) and most owners of their phones are in a hurry to stick them inside some gawdy case or hide it inside a giant Otterbox case, point is, no matter how solidly built things are, they will still scratch. But I do agree with you on one thing, the GS2 has been so far the most scratch resistant and fingerprint proof phone I have ever owned, and I think that is the one and only aspect about it's design that I will miss compared to the GS3. In all other ways, I find the GS3 much more attractive than the GS2. Just to be clear though, I already liked the design of the GS2, I couldn't get rid of my Evo 3d quick enough and I found it better looking than the Evo 4G I had before it.
    05-05-2012 01:36 AM
    agreed, design choice is subjective.. but to me they all look the same.. can't understand why people would be so 'underwhelmed' by the design.. i like both the one x and gs3.. they both look like what a nice high-end phone should look like.. i just hope verizon gets it soon and doesn't mess it up too much..
    I agree with you. People have set such high expectations with these devices. Personally, the S3 and the One X are both fine devices. I prefer the rounded edges of the S3 because it feels better in the hand (currently own a Nexus). The design of the S3 looks fine and Touchwiz isn't as intrusive in my opinion. For the average consumer, it appears to actually help the experience. I think folks should reserve judgement until the device is actually held.

BTW... why is HTC's shell called polycarbonate and everyone and their mother wants to say the S3 is plastic? The S3 is a polycarbonate shell as well. People get so caught up in wanting to call it "plastic" due to the glaze on the shell. Get a grip people.
    05-06-2012 04:33 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD