It is obvious that the HTC One X is a better phone than the S3

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: It is obvious that the HTC One X is a better phone than the S

Exonys with LTE would be great since it has comparable cpu performance with S4 (they both destroy Tegra 3) but a much a better gpu.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Then you haven't been paying any attention. The S4 is able to keep up with the Exynos and is the better all around chip. Samsung is using it because of that, not just because of LTE.

If better means get beaten by, then yes the s4 is the better chip. Didn't you learn anything from qualcomms three previous crapdragon chips? They never deliver the perform numbers they promised. The s3 was argued by a lot of HTC fan boys as being a all around better chip anthan the exynos too. Well we all know how big of a performance those two had in Samsung favor. A lot new Samsung fans are HTC converts such as mannyz28 who was blown away by the epic4g touch like many others on xda did. They weren't converts from the of evo 4g they came from evo 3d.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Funny how everyone keeps complaining about the chip in the S3 that is equal to the fastest chip in America or the fastest all around if its international.

Pace Racing

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I was also considering the new Evo (I have an Evo 4G) and will probably get the GS3 instead for a these reasons -

1. GS3 will have much better dev support. New HTC phones have no proper root (S-OFF) after months and there is no guarantee they will ever get it. Samsung phones are easy to root and have support from CM9

2. I can replace the launcher and still use other TW features. Sense has nothing to offer except Beats (which is useless). Using a menu for burst mode/physical shutter button are minor features to me, compared to the fact that the GS3 video is much higher bandwidth and quality compared to the E4GLTE

3. Battery life should be the same on both since they'll have the same S4 cpu. If anything, AMOLED uses less power so the GS3 will win.

4. Plastic body is much better - for signals as well as phone safety.

I think your reply gives a good sense of how diverse the android community is. To me, rooting my phone is probably something I won't do. For those that are rooters, it sounds like Samsung may be a better option. My view of my phone changed when I got my xoom. The things that are important to me are ease of use, a good stable UI, and the ability to take and share great pics/video. In those respects I think the Evo is a better choice. I don't know that I would say the video on the GS3 is much higher quality. I believe the GS3 has a higher frame rate, but the reviews of the one x and evo video have been very good, and the evo has a dedicated camera chip which will no doubt make the picture and video taking experience better. As for a plastic body being better, all I can say is HUH? I'll take cnc'd aluminum with anodizing every single time over machined plastic. I bet the majority of the rest of the world would too.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

I think your reply gives a good sense of how diverse the android community is. To me, rooting my phone is probably something I won't do. For those that are rooters, it sounds like Samsung may be a better option. My view of my phone changed when I got my xoom. The things that are important to me are ease of use, a good stable UI, and the ability to take and share great pics/video. In those respects I think the Evo is a better choice. I don't know that I would say the video on the GS3 is much higher quality. I believe the GS3 has a higher frame rate, but the reviews of the one x and evo video have been very good, and the evo has a dedicated camera chip which will no doubt make the picture and video taking experience better. As for a plastic body being better, all I can say is HUH? I'll take cnc'd aluminum with anodizing every single time over machined plastic. I bet the majority of the rest of the world would too.

Good reply, and even though my preference changed from the Evo to GS3, I can be persuaded back once the reviews come out. I have an Evo 4G and ran it stock for almost a year. I had to try out a lot of apps (like Juice Defender etc) to try and maximize battery life. I knew nothing about root and was afraid of damaging my phone and taking a risk. All this changed when I read up, took the plunge and did it. What made me a convert was MIUI - absolutely the slickest, best phone experience I've ever had (and no, it had nothing to do with its iPhone like nature that some claim). It was better than Sense/AOSP, and nearly doubled the battery life, let me use my unlimited data on trips as wireless tether for my laptop etc.

Over the course of a 2 year contract, there will be numerous updates to Android and there's no guarantee that oem's will pass them on. e.g. I probably won't see ICS on my Evo 4G even though ICS came out 6 months ago and the Evo is only 2 years old. The way Android is, you almost have to root your phone to keep it updated. OEM's and Google don't care about you, only devs like those from XDA do.

So for me rooting and ability to run custom roms that enhance the phone has become a must have, whether its Android or jailbreak on iOS

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
If better means get beaten by, then yes the s4 is the better chip. Didn't you learn anything from qualcomms three previous crapdragon chips? They never deliver the perform numbers they promised. The s3 was argued by a lot of HTC fan boys as being a all around better chip anthan the exynos too. Well we all know how big of a performance those two had in Samsung favor. A lot new Samsung fans are HTC converts such as mannyz28 who was blown away by the epic4g touch like many others on xda did. They weren't converts from the of evo 4g they came from evo 3d.

Are you kidding? We're not talking about promises, we're talking about its real world performance as shown in the one x. Stop being such a fanboy.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Are you kidding? We're not talking about promises, we're talking about its real world performance as shown in the one x. Stop being such a fanboy.

I will admit to being a Samsung fanboy, but you are no different than me. You keep on believing qualcomm's claim when they have a solid track history of disappointing performance especially when compared to its peers.

The real world performance of all the previous snapdragon phones was pretty lack luster. Why would this one be any different? Is is because they claim it to be the end all be all? I've heard that claim many times before.

For everyone that agrees with you, I can find just as many people who knows exactly what I'm saying and feeling. Oh and BTW I am dead serious about what I said before. I'm of sick defending Samsung from the legions of HTC fan boys who claims their snap dragon phones are the s#!t. Yes they are right, they are S#!T. It ranges anywhere from them claiming the build quality sucks because the phones are too light, so I'm sure if samsung puts a piece of lead in it, that would shut them up. Mean while you have light leakage under the screen dust build up from the screen cover de-laminating, and even some of the damn screens are off center on the HTC phones.

I know you have a Galaxy Nexus, so that rant was not directed at you at all.

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I will admit to being a Samsung fanboy, but you are no different than me. You keep on believing qualcomm's claim when they have a solid track history of disappointing performance especially when compared to its peers.

The real world performance of all the previous snapdragon phones was pretty lack luster. Why would this one be any different? Is is because they claim it to be the end all be all? I've heard that claim many times before.

For everyone that agrees with you, I can find just as many people who knows exactly what I'm saying and feeling. Oh and BTW I am dead serious about what I said before. I'm of sick defending Samsung from the legions of HTC fan boys who claims their snap dragon phones are the s#!t. Yes they are right, they are S#!T. It ranges anywhere from them claiming the build quality sucks because the phones are too light, so I'm sure if samsung puts a piece of lead in it, that would shut them up. Mean while you have light leakage under the screen, and even some of the damn screens are off center on the HTC phones.

I know you have a Galaxy Nexus, so that rant was not directed at you at all.

What claim? Where from your nether regions are you pulling this 'claim' from? All you have to do is read a review of the OneX and OneS to understand how beastly the processor is. Yes, it's better than the exynos dual core and is as good as the quad.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

What claim? Where from your nether regions are you pulling this 'claim' from? All you have to do is read a review of the OneX and OneS to understand how beastly the processor is. Yes, it's better than the exynos dual core and is as good as the quad.

My nether region is here because you are one of the people who claim. Just as you vouch because some reviewers said that its so great. Just like how Jerry Hildenbrand claims how his T mobile version of the GS2 is just as good as the international version.

Of course every manufacturer will always claim their chip to be the next big thing. So I will never listen to that, but in my personal experience, samsung seems to have the best track record of releasing outstanding processors amongst it's peers of the same gen. Of course this is all my opinion too, and real world performance is apparently subjective.

I remember when dungeon defenders first came out, some guy on the evo 4g claimed it ran fine on his phone, but when he posted a video of him playing it on youtube, the thing was virtually unplayable since it lagged hard even when the room had zero enemies. Sure it was fine to him because he didn't know any better, mean while the galaxy S ran that game much much better, but to me it was still somewhat unplayable when you had 20 enemies on the screen at once.

All we can base the performance on is side by side comparisons in app opening speed, how smooth it scrolls when you stress the phone by having a ton of background apps running with a crazy live wall paper, how smooth the the web browser scrolls when there is a music player playing in the background with a live wall paper. Samsung phones in the past have passed all of these test or will run them smoother than any other phone. Will the average user use the phone to this extent? Well its good to know that the phone can handle it without a sweat right?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
My nether region is here because you are one of the people who claim. Just as you vouch because some reviewers said that its so great. Just like how Jerry Hildenbrand claims how his T mobile version of the GS2 is just as good as the international version.

Of course every manufacturer will always claim their chip to be the next big thing. So I will never listen to that, but in my personal experience, samsung seems to have the best track record of releasing outstanding processors amongst it's peers of the same gen. Of course this is all my opinion too, and real world performance is apparently subjective.

I remember when dungeon defenders first came out, some guy on the evo 4g claimed it ran fine on his phone, but when he posted a video of him playing it on youtube, the thing was virtually unplayable since it lagged hard even when the room had zero enemies. Sure it was fine to him because he didn't know any better, mean while the galaxy S ran that game much much better, but to me it was still somewhat unplayable when you had 20 enemies on the screen at once.

All we can base the performance on is side by side comparisons in app opening speed, how smooth it scrolls when you stress the phone by having a ton of background apps running with a crazy live wall paper, how smooth the the web browser scrolls when there is a music player playing in the background with a live wall paper. Samsung phones in the past have passed all of these test or will run them smoother than any other phone. Will the average user use the phone to this extent? Well its good to know that the phone can handle it without a sweat right?

So what you're saying is that your opinion matters more than EVERY reviewer that's actually used a phone with an S4? Riiight...

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

So what you're saying is that your opinion matters more than EVERY reviewer that's actually used a phone with an S4? Riiight...

My job is not to sell phones or to try to hype up a phone for a manufacturer. I have no ulterior motives to try to push a product or try to rig up a false outcome of the comparison test.

Remember how Phil Nickinson once said that he loved sense 3.0 and 3.5 when it first came out? Look how his opinion has flip flopped now that sense 4.0 is released. He even admitted now that he is not a fan of sense 3.0 and 3.5 when you can trace back when the Sensation first came out he was waving about it like crazy!!! ( Sorry Phil )

How about him saying that the pentile matrix screen on the Photon or the Bonic isn't so bad? Now recently with the announcement of the SLCD2 screen, now he said that the pentile screen sucks. ( Sorry again Phil )

How about Aaron from phonedog.com doing a comparison test with the T mobile version of the GS2 vs the Iphone4s and he had the Iphone4s win because the GS2 was not smooth enough. Mean while a few weeks ago, he did a head to head with the Sprint version vs the t mobile and he has the same complaint about the t mobile version and the Epic Touch 4G won. Why would he put a inferior GS2 up against a smooth phone such as the iphone4s? He set it up to lose, and all the Apple camp says that the GS2 sucks and he refuse to listen to us in the comment section saying that those 2 phones are not the same!! I actually unsubscribed to him because of that bs vs video.

Never take the words of any reviewer for Gospel. I have played with the One X. Have you? While it certainly is quick from the 5 minutes I played with it, but it certainly didn't blow me away. Just like i noticed the web browser speed and smoothness was lacking, but you said it was a bug. I'm sure HTC would fix it. Am I a blind follower? Hell no!! I think the One X is a way better looking phone than the GS3 and the photo comparisons was not even close. The One X's pictures made the GS3's look like crap.

I am a car guy, that is my profession, do you have any idea how many times I would catch a reviewer explain something wrong, or mention this item does this while they show a photo of something completely wrong? Just because a review mentions it, does not mean its always 100% accurate, or does it mean that they might not have to rig something up for the results to end up the way it is. Maybe you don't remember events and things like that I do that's why you don't notice when people claim one thing than claim another a few months later.

Last edited:

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

*rolls eyes at people claiming reviewers are doctoring everything*

*makes fun of people who only base their observations on ONE review when there are dozens out there and when dozens of experienced people say the same thing, there should be some truth to it. They aren't ALL paid by the man*

*rolls eyes at user reviewers who can twist anything to their view and hate the 'experts'*

*What do experts know? NOTHING! ALL LIES!*

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

*rolls eyes at people claiming reviewers are doctoring everything*

*makes fun of people who only base their observations on ONE review when there are dozens out there and when dozens of experienced people say the same thing, there should be some truth to it. They aren't ALL paid by the man*

*rolls eyes at user reviewers who can twist anything to their view and hate the 'experts'*

*What do experts know? NOTHING! ALL LIES!*

Looking at your post history, you seem like a very reasonable individual. I will do a role reversal. Now I don't believe you favor any one company particular over the other. Now you have to look at this through the eyes of a person who is a fan or prefer one company over another.

If you are a fan of let's say HTC, and you feel your current phone is king of the hill with your SLCD2 screen. Now your favorite reviewer finally did a review for the next big thing from a rival company. They referenced a few things about your phone since that is the benchmark. Now if they claimed the SAMOLED HD is the better screen, would you automatically go out and agree with the reviewer? How about the few dozens of them? I would assume that you would go out there and personally see the phone for yourself and play around with the features that everyone waves about before you make your final decision right? Are they making the decision for you? Nope, you ultimately make your own choice, the reviewers are there to help you make the decision. You can take the information you need to.

Now a little bit about me. I use to be a HTC fan believe it or not. This is back when they made the G1 and especially when the Nexus One, and when the O.G. Droid Incredible came out. I wanted the Droid Incredible so bad when it was released but me being lazy did not pre order the phone thinking that it wouldn't be as popular as it ended up being. Verzion had them on back order for months!!!

During the waiting months, Sprint came out with the EVO4G which was another great phone I was dying for. Unfortunately Verizon had no such offering, but while waiting for the Incredible to be in stock again, all these other offerings started to come out that was better than the once mighty Incredible. I'm very glad that I hopped on to the Samsung train with the original Galaxy S. I wouldn't think I would still be able to stay with a phone for this long if I was stuck with O.G. Incredible hardware, and tiny 3.7 screen.

I actually was very interested in the One X, and I thought that this might be the phone that would get me to actually purchase a HTC phone based on all the glowing reviews. I went to the store to personally play with one. I didn't go to the store to bash it, I was genuinely interested in the phone. I must say, like you I was not blown away by it. I did not say I was not impressed because there was certain things that impressed me like the feel of the material, the unibody construction and the screen, but I was not blown away by the performance. Nor do I understand why everyone is saying Sense 4.0 is very much like vanilla ICS. I just don't see it.

Can I definitely say the GS3 is going to be a better phone? I don't know esp if we end up with the same processor as the One X.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

This is a rather interesting discussion mainly because I agree with both of you to some point. I remember playing dungeon hunter on both the palm pre and the evo 4G at the same time, it ran better on the pre and looked better as well. Having had both the evo, evo 3d and the epic touch, there is no comparison when it comes to smoothness especially when it comes to the ui. The evo 4G was nice because I had a huge screen for the first time, but it felt creaky, had the lifting screen and light leakage. There were many games the snapdragon couldn't handle and it was rather disappointing. I feverishly was looking forward to the evo ed, watched every video I could find, and, when I got it just thought to myself, damn, the ui is still slow, forget about live wallpapers, at least the Adreno 220 could handle the games I wanted to play, but overall, I was still not happy with the phone, it sometimes wouldn't charge, woukd get hot for no reason, and the 3d gave me headaches so I never used it. I also didn't like the general feel of the phone. So, I too fear for the performance of the gs3 with the S4 processor under the hood, just based on their track record. I have been watching a lot of at& t one X reviews and it does seem to run the ui pretty smoothly, and knowing that the Adreno 220 was fine with all the games I played, I am pretty confident that it will be fine in the gs3. But, the inner geek still wishes for an exynos eventhough the s4 is built on newer technology. Guess we will see what happens.

gerstud101

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site

I prefer touchwiz--I'd be running a custom launcher anyway, and touchwiz has more features and the interface otherwise is much cleaner.

Also, BOTH PHONES ARE POLYCARBONATE!!! Samsung just applied a hypergloss finish instead of the matte finish found on the One series. Which you prefer is 100% personal preference--The Verge like the One series, Android Central seems to prefer the GS3.

Screens, sure, maybe the superLCD is a bit better. But both phones will have jaw dropping 720p displays, and the VAST majority of people wont be able to tell any difference between the two. Plus, the GS3's is bigger. That doesnt mean better, but its something.

Early benchmarks for the GS3 are DESTROYING everything else right now--even the Galaxy haters at The Verge admits this. Even if it rocks the S4 in the US, itll at the very least be equal to the One series.

Also--removable battery is huge, as is expandable storage.

BOTTOM LINE: both phones are fantastic options and we should be happy we live in an economy where such competition exists. Both have their strengths, and have very VERY few weaknesses. They will both sit at the tip top of the android heap as far as specs, and any difference comes down to purely personal opinion about the look and the interface.

If touchwiz was so bad, would the GSII be as big a deal as it was? Think about it...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Some questionable bending (and sometimes breaking) of forum rules here. Consider that the warning. I'm all for a great conversation (and participate in quite a few), so let's please keep it that way in this thread. Differing opinions are what makes this place great, after all.

Please keep in mind when comparing the Exynos 4 Quad to the Snapdragon S4 that one is a quad-core, and one is a dual-core. They trade blows, really, one seems to be really good at web browsing (assuming you believe benchmarks), while one will be better at gaming. The fact that they are mostly equal should speak volumes to the amount of work that Qualcomm put into their new architecture. This is not the same chip as last years dual-core, it's completely rebuilt, redone, and everything is different and better.

Is the Exynos good? Hell yes it is. No doubt about it. I had an SGSII on AT&T and it was an extremely smooth phone. I have no complaints about that phone. That being said...the One X is every bit as smooth for me. I have no complaints nor have I noticed any slowdowns in my day-to-day use.

Sense 4.0 is good. Really good IMO. Touchwiz had some cool features, though, too, and the new Touchwiz has some REALLY cool features. But I do kind of agree with Phil and Alex, the new Touchwiz still looks and acts like the old Touchwiz. That's not bad, because it keeps the user experience consistent. But it is bad, too, because Samsung didn't seem to use any of the cool stuff from ICS. Sense 4.0 feels like an extension of ICS, while Touchwiz still looks like a shell on top of ICS, if that makes any sense (and no, i haven't played with the phone).

Did anybody see THIS post that Jerry put on Google+? I agree with him wholeheartedly on that one. Samsung has gone out and kept two features that Google is trying to get away from, and because of the almost guaranteed popularity of this phone, developers will have less incentive to update to the newest style guides. I do understand that removable storage is highly desired, but when you can get a version of the phone with 64gb of storage it's really not necessary (and yes, there will always be people that want more storage, I get that). The menu button, well, it's old, and if they got rid of it maybe app devs would pay more attention and update apps to be compatible with ICS. But such is the way with open stuff, right? No requirement to follow the guides of the company that makes the OS.

I'm no fanboy. I've used the top phone of the time from each company. I'm interested to see the SGSIII in person. I want to compare the two. But I've obviously already made my choice based on what I've seen. Not trying to change any opinions here, everyone is entitled to their own, but for me, right now, HTC has a winner on its hands. The One X is simply amazing, and I have no doubt that the SGSIII will be amazing, too.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Since I got dragged into this clusterfook of a thread again...

I have both versions sitting here in front of me. Performance wise, running the same exact apps, there is no difference -- except the Qualcomm powered version gets about 40% better battery life.

Feel free to procure them both and see for yourself.

I'm not a fan of any of these companies. They all will say and do anything to take your money.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Since I got dragged into this clusterfook of a thread again...

I have both versions sitting here in front of me. Performance wise, running the same exact apps, there is no difference -- except the Qualcomm powered version gets about 40% better battery life.

Feel free to procure them both and see for yourself.

I'm not a fan of any of these companies. They all will say and do anything to take your money.

Jerry,

I have never played with the GS2 version from T-Mobile, but since it has the same processor as the AT&T Galaxy Note, would you say the perceived sluggishness I am seeing with the Note I saw on display is due to the higher resolution? That would explain why you find the GS2 on T-Mobile to be as fast as the Sprint or AT&T (non skyrocket) version of the phone. I am sure you have played with a Note at some point in time, do you agree it feels less fluid than the GS2?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Jerry,

I have never played with the GS2 version from T-Mobile, but since it has the same processor as the AT&T Galaxy Note, would you say the perceived sluggishness I am seeing with the Note I saw on display is due to the higher resolution? That would explain why you find the GS2 on T-Mobile to be as fast as the Sprint or AT&T (non skyrocket) version of the phone. I am sure you have played with a Note at some point in time, do you agree it feels less fluid than the GS2?

Honestly never fooled with the Note. But I would say your theory would be right -- there's a lot of pixels there to push.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11