It is obvious that the HTC One X is a better phone than the S3

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: It is obvious that the HTC One X is a better phone than the S

Which manufacturer/company makes High Definition TV sets worldwide?!?! I also believe they are the leader in production/sales of HDTVs as well. Exactly!! You can keep your washed out/AuNatural/Greyish blacks looking LCD sceen. I'll stick with my **HDTV in the PALM of my hands** sucky PenTile screen! :D

Just wanted to point out that all those tv's you're talking about are LCD with an RGB layout. Not a single one is AMOLED.

Technologically the SLCD2 should look better if it's properly calibrated. The reason is simple. Color gamut. The performance of the SLCD2 (and LCD in general) is more in line with the source material that we use on a daily basis. If you look at the color gamut that both technologies are capable of the AMOLED is way ahead, which means it's capable of displaying a wider range of colors, which should be a good thing. But for us it's not. The reason is simple. It's capable of displaying MORE colors than are actually being supplied to it, which it what causes the over-saturation. Because it's capable of displaying more colors, the ones that aren't supplied by the source still have to get used. So at the far ends of the spectrum colors get "crushed" and make things look over-saturated. This can't be easily fixed by calibration. It would take a source outputting those extra colors to actually fix the problem the right way.

In short, you wouldn't use a professional computer monitor designed for final print work to do web browsing with. Colors would be off, contrast would be off, white level and balance would be off. It just wouldn't be a good experience. Take that same monitor, and supply it with a source that can provide all the extra relevant information and it'll look amazing. This is basically what's happening with AMOLED in phones right now. It's capable of so much more, but because of that, performance leaves something to be desired.

LCD, by it's nature, is designed to work better with the "limited" colors provided by todays sources. If anybody wants a more detailed explanation please ask, and I'll try to explain more.

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site

Just wanted to point out that all those tv's you're talking about are LCD with an RGB layout. Not a single one is AMOLED.

Technologically the SLCD2 should look better if it's properly calibrated. The reason is simple. Color gamut. The performance of the SLCD2 (and LCD in general) is more in line with the source material that we use on a daily basis. If you look at the color gamut that both technologies are capable of the AMOLED is way ahead, which means it's capable of displaying a wider range of colors, which should be a good thing. But for us it's not. The reason is simple. It's capable of displaying MORE colors than are actually being supplied to it, which it what causes the over-saturation. Because it's capable of displaying more colors, the ones that aren't supplied by the source still have to get used. So at the far ends of the spectrum colors get "crushed" and make things look over-saturated. This can't be easily fixed by calibration. It would take a source outputting those extra colors to actually fix the problem the right way.

In short, you wouldn't use a professional computer monitor designed for final print work to do web browsing with. Colors would be off, contrast would be off, white level and balance would be off. It just wouldn't be a good experience. Take that same monitor, and supply it with a source that can provide all the extra relevant information and it'll look amazing. This is basically what's happening with AMOLED in phones right now. It's capable of so much more, but because of that, performance leaves something to be desired.

LCD, by it's nature, is designed to work better with the "limited" colors provided by todays sources. If anybody wants a more detailed explanation please ask, and I'll try to explain more.

Then why did Samsung choose to put it in?
Cheaper?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Then why did Samsung choose to put it in?
Cheaper?

Maybe cheaper. Maybe marketing. It does have some distinct advantages, like black level. Our eyes are very sensitive to changes in blacks and dark grays (think shadows in movies) so if you can nail that part you've done a lot to say you have awesome picture quality. But that comes with a trade-off of accurate colors in other areas. Even in the sample images I've seen skin tones are noticeably off.

Watch The Dark Knight on an AMOLED display and you'll see what I'm talking about. The dark scenes look absolutely amazing, but the outdoor scenes (especially the ones shot with IMAX) look off a bit.

Both displays are good, no doubt, but technologically the SLCD2 is the superior display.

Samsung did admit that SAMOLED uses pentile for longevity. Honestly, that sounds kinda like a cop out. It's like admitting your display won't last for as long as you own your phone. I had an SGSII. and it has SAMOLED+, does that mean my display would've went out BEFORE i got rid of the phone? I would like to see more information about this straight from Samsung. What exactly is the lifespan of the blue subpixel? Is lasting two years (and not much longer) considered acceptable? And if it's acceptable to Samsung does that make it acceptable to consumers?

I would also like to see this for LCD's, but we've never really seen anywhere where a particular part of the display needs to have a "work-around" because it's going to fail before the rest. My CCFL backlight on my LCD tv at home has been going strong for 5 years, and that's the first part expected to fail.

Reactions: Nashstruck

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Its also worth remembering that the SLCD2 screen in the One X is made by Samsung. They are the world leaders in display tech. And could've chosen that screen for the GS3, but the reasons they didn't are -

1. Galaxy series is associated with AMOLED. And Samsung has many different versions. e.g. the Note has a Pentile AMOLED screen, but its almost 2x brighter than either the Nexus or the GS3 versions. GS2 got a non-Pentile version. People expect the deep blacks and vibrant colors, or at least that's what Samsung marketing thinks.

2. Samsung already have the next version ready. The Tizen dev phone has a non-Pentile AMOLED HD display which will soon be in their next phone.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

By who? If it's XDA, then you need to root your phone and I'd say most people don't do that.

Exactly. HTC has said they don't see anything wrong, and even if they admitted they made a mistake, the fix will take months.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Its also worth remembering that the SLCD2 screen in the One X is made by Samsung. They are the world leaders in display tech. And could've chosen that screen for the GS3, but the reasons they didn't are -

1. Galaxy series is associated with AMOLED. And Samsung has many different versions. e.g. the Note has a Pentile AMOLED screen, but its almost 2x brighter than either the Nexus or the GS3 versions. GS2 got a non-Pentile version. People expect the deep blacks and vibrant colors, or at least that's what Samsung marketing thinks.

2. Samsung already have the next version ready. The Tizen dev phone has a non-Pentile AMOLED HD display which will soon be in their next phone.

Sharp, Acer, and Sony make the One X displays, with the AT&T One X apparently being exclusively the Sony.

People are also saying that Sony display is by far the best out of the three.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Sony actually makes HTCs Super LCD screens.

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site

Foxconn makes them all.:p

Foxconn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Foxconn manufactures products for companies including:

(country of headquarters in parentheses)

Acer Inc. (Taiwan)[36]
Amazon.com (United States)[37]
Apple Inc. (United States)[38]
Cisco (United States)[39]
Dell (United States)[40]
Hewlett-Packard (United States)[41]
Intel (United States)[42]
Microsoft (United States)[43]
Motorola Mobility (United States)[40]
Nintendo (Japan)[44]
Nokia (Finland)[38]
Samsung Electronics (South Korea)[45]
Sony (Japan)[46]
Toshiba (Japan) [47]
Vizio (United States)[48]

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

It's also just an opinion. One not shared by a majority of the people/sites that have seen the two displays side-by-side.

Again...it's not a terrible display, far from it from what I've seen and heard actually, but the consensus is that overall the SLCD2 display is better in quite a few areas.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

Seems to me you guys are in a battle over the screen. Meantime, it seems to me the GS3 has many software advantages over the One X not to mention the fact it has a REMOVABLE battery that's also larger, microSD slot, etc. etc. Since I haven't made the jump to Android yet but will no doubt be getting either the Skyrocket, GS3 or One X (once the bugs are worked out), there are some strong pros and cons for all these devices.

I think that none of us can really state which is better until we have them in our hands here in the US and then can see which works best for us individually. Amazon dropped the price on the One X to $120 and the Skyrocket to $40 making both options very intriguing as of now.

I am really eager to see how the GS3 functions in person before making any conclusions myself :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty