It is obvious that the HTC One X is a better phone than the S3

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: It is obvious that the HTC One X is a better phone than the S

I can say for sure that the One X and SGSIII are better than the Skyrocket. :)

jamisont

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions but i hate ppl giving out wrong info. Since when slcd was top display??? They were always a step behind ah- ips lcd and amoled. Slcd improved as well but all tests shows they are still cheaper and inferior.

Pentile/rgb matrix doesnt matter anymore since ppi is over 300. You wont see any pixels on normal use unless you stick your eyes on screen to see it so badly with good eyes.

Samsung also makes slcd called superclear lcd and they use it for mid low end phones to lower costs.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions but i hate ppl giving out wrong info. Since when slcd was top display??? They were always a step behind ah- ips lcd and amoled. Slcd improved as well but all tests shows they are still cheaper and inferior.

Pentile/rgb matrix doesnt matter anymore since ppi is over 300. You wont see any pixels on normal use unless you stick your eyes on screen to see it so badly with good eyes.

Samsung also makes slcd called superclear lcd and they use it for mid low end phones to lower costs.

The problem with Pentile has nothing to do with ppi. The problems are -

1. Since blue pixels degrade fastest, they are made brighter so there's a bluish tint. This is quite obvious once you compare but in daily use people tend to ignore it
  2. Lower brightness. e.g. GS3/Nexus are much less bright at 100% compared to a LCD
  3. Color banding - apparent in some cases due to the pixel arrangement.

AMOLED also has burn in issues but these have mostly been taken care of.

jamisont

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

1. Since blue pixels degrade fastest, they are made brighter so there's a bluish tint. This is quite obvious once you compare but in daily use people tend to ignore it
  2. Lower brightness. e.g. GS3/Nexus are much less bright at 100% compared to a LCD

they didnt make blue subpixel brighter, they just made it larger since their life span is 2x shorter than red or green.
and it has nothing to do with bluish tint, it has more to do with color temperature.
higher the color temperature, it has bluish ton, lower the color temperature, redish or yellowish (just like colors of stars).standard color temperature is 6500k.

the reason why they made it high color temperature, it increases readability as well.
so galaxy S has the highest color temperature at around 9900k+ since its ppi is at around 200, so they raised color temperature to make up for poor readability.
for samoled HD, they lowered color temperature to 7600k, so alot less bluish than galaxy S. they did it since ppi for samoled HD improved to over 300.

about luminance, OLED works differently than LCD. since it has much higher contrast ratio, luminance on amoled works 1.5x~2x than LCD. (around 200 luminance on amoled works as 400 on LCD)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

they didnt make blue subpixel brighter, they just made it larger since their life span is 2x shorter than red or green.
and it has nothing to do with bluish tint, it has more to do with color temperature.
higher the color temperature, it has bluish ton, lower the color temperature, redish or yellowish (just like colors of stars).standard color temperature is 6500k.

the reason why they made it high color temperature, it increases readability as well.
so galaxy S has the highest color temperature at around 9900k+ since its ppi is at around 200, so they raised color temperature to make up for poor readability.
for samoled HD, they lowered color temperature to 7600k, so alot less bluish than galaxy S. they did it since ppi for samoled HD improved to over 300.

about luminance, OLED works differently than LCD. since it has much higher contrast ratio, luminance on amoled works 1.5x~2x than LCD. (around 200 luminance on amoled works as 400 on LCD)

Luminance is luminance. Changing the type of display won't change the outcome. It's a function of brightness, measured in cd/m2 or NITS. Contrast ratio has nothing to do with it, actually, as that's a completely different measurement. Brightness is brightness, and the SLCD2 has it in spades.

Speaking of contrast ratio, it's not fair to compare the contrast ratio of AMOLED to anything else, since it's technically infinite. So yes, technically AMOLED will always have a superior contrast ratio, but that doesn't mean it's brighter overall.

SLCD2 is believed to be derived from AH-IPS (but has not been confirmed). At the very least it appears to be a form of IPS (I do have an Inspire here, which is standard SLCD, and they aren't even close).

I'm not touching the subpixel topic, because I've already talked about it in spades in this thread and in others.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Keep it simple, whites suck on amoleds, and Blacks rule. Seriously. If you want whites to shine, do not get an OLED, if you want pitch black, get it. You will never have the best of both currently....Honestly, pentile OLEDS are the poor boy of screen tech.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

We all chomped the AMOLED argument, but now that we have seen it, we all know it is a effing joke.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
"Better" is so subjective. For instance, I think my gn is the best. That's just me of course.

Yup, I'm on Tapatalk2 :)

jamisont

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Luminance is luminance. Changing the type of display won't change the outcome. It's a function of brightness, measured in cd/m2 or NITS. Contrast ratio has nothing to do with it, actually, as that's a completely different measurement. Brightness is brightness, and the SLCD2 has it in spades.

Speaking of contrast ratio, it's not fair to compare the contrast ratio of AMOLED to anything else, since it's technically infinite. So yes, technically AMOLED will always have a superior contrast ratio, but that doesn't mean it's brighter overall.

SLCD2 is believed to be derived from AH-IPS (but has not been confirmed). At the very least it appears to be a form of IPS (I do have an Inspire here, which is standard SLCD, and they aren't even close).

I'm not touching the subpixel topic, because I've already talked about it in spades in this thread and in others.

I forgot the term that explain this, but contrast ratio tricks human eyes on luminance.
spbench_04_black%20level.jpg

upper one is Iphone 4 (470cd/m2), lower one is SGS2 (287cd/m2). which one look brighter?

SLCD isnt derived from ah-ips-lcd.. when HTC forced to switch from AMOLED to SLCD (due to shortage of amoled), they got SLCD from Sony, samsung first then later from taiwan companies like AUO.
full term for slcd is Super-TFT-LCD developed from Sony S-LCD. (co joint venture sony+samsung, even tho it says sony, this company is located inside samsung electronic facility in korea)

sony named it slcd, htc uses the term super lcd, samsung uses superclear lcd for their own products.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

You're joking? Can't tell.
In case you were not, I agree with Kevin here.
Both better than my skyrocket.

+2. Since so much of this back and forth has revolved around screens and you want to even consider the 800x480 screen of the skyrocket in the same conversation? After getting a Galaxy Note it was hard to look at my skyrocket resolution even though it was Super AMOLED plus display. The Galaxy Note, with a pentile mind you, was so much better IMO.

Sold my skyrocket on Sunday and waiting for the the SGSIII to drop on AT&T! I never even considered the One X.

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Better display, better processor, (probably) better battery life. Better camera. Better software.

As you stated before. That's a matter of opinion. And as has been stated already, id rather take the opinion of sites that actually HAVE the hardware in hand than the guessing of some of you guys. Both Phonearena and Gsmarena perfer the GS3....ill go with them for now

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
As you stated before. That's a matter of opinion. And as has been stated already, id rather take the opinion of sites that actually HAVE the hardware in hand than the guessing of some of you guys. Both Phonearena and Gsmarena perfer the GS3....ill go with them for now

He was saying BOTH the SGSIII and One X are better than the skyrocket.
Not saying the One X is better than the Gs3.

I think that his statement is pretty valid, even as a Skyrocket owner.
Think he was being funny, anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
+2. Since so much of this back and forth has revolved around screens and you want to even consider the 800x480 screen of the skyrocket in the same conversation? After getting a Galaxy Note it was hard to look at my skyrocket resolution even though it was Super AMOLED plus display. The Galaxy Note, with a pentile mind you, was so much better IMO.

Sold my skyrocket on Sunday and waiting for the the SGSIII to drop on AT&T! I never even considered the One X.

Mind if I ask what you got for your Skyrocket?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

oh yeah....he was wasn't he. Opps my bad and my apologies. Ill go in my corner now

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci